Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neinei876 View Post
Definitely Yosemite National Park and the beaches that run down the coast (although they are on opposite ends).

I live in Fresno.. right in the middle of the central valley. I can't recommend anything that I can think of that stands out besides the two above, but maybe you can look into the Underground Gardens.
We went to the Forestiere Underground Gardens last month as a stop on our way to Las Vegas. It was absolutely incredible, and certainly worth a couple of hours to do the tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thank you all so much!

New question!

I'm looking for a small town to stay in near Yosemite the night before our reservations inside Yosemite.

Fresno? Madera? Chowchilla? Merced? Are there any good missions to see in this vicinity?

This will be after Big Sur so I'm just looking for a quaint town where we can relax, eat dinner, and be charmed by it.
I am going to DM you, I have a slightly better idea than Fresno or Madera

Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Hello, Podo944!

The rain boots are a great idea. We can stop at a Target along the way, grab some, toss them in the trunk, and donate them to Goodwill in Seattle.

Thanks for sharing all of that information about the Redwood Forest area. I'm ready to schedule my Redwood part of the trip now.

Do you think we should stay in the Redwood Forests for two nights? Or is one night enough?
On that trip we again started off after a 3 day visit with my brother in Redding. From there we went up the 5 to Grants Pass Oregon to have lunch with my cousin (who I hadn't seen in years) That took a little over 3 hours. We then headed to the Coast via the 199 aka the Redwood Hwy, and swung up to spend the night in Brookings Oregon. (Close to the boarder of California and beautiful!) That took us about 4 hours because we stopped for lunch and did a walk through the woods somewhere... can't remember at the moment.

From there we went south and did the Fern Canyon hike as well as another place that had a little tram thing that went up over the trees. (Again, I'm sorry I can't remember off the top of my head what the place is called) It was fun, if a little "touristy", but you have many choices for stopping at scenic places. So in a nutshell, we meanered down the coast enjoying the sights and then ended up in Ferndale for an over night. The drive from Brookings to Ferndale driving alone is about 2 1/2 hours, so we had plenty of time for "sight driving"
Ferndale is a sweet little town with lots of Victorian houses. Nothing particulary mind blowing there in my opinion, but we had our bikes with us, so we just rode around and enjoyed a few hours in town after breakfast before moving on down the coast.

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM

347 posts, read 314,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I am going to DM you, I have a slightly better idea than Fresno or Madera
Ohh, Coalinga? Good recommendation.

Thinking outside the box, I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We went to the Forestiere Underground Gardens last month as a stop on our way to Las Vegas. It was absolutely incredible, and certainly worth a couple of hours to do the tour.
Yeah, you can see our Hobbit hole. I almost said so in my post hehe. Or the Meux Home, and Kearney Park. Blossoms might still be hanging around a bit on the blossom trail in places, I'm not sure.

But overall if I spent the day in SLO, then drove this way, I'd just as soon head up the hills to Oakhurst and stay up there to wander about a little bit, rest, then get up to do Yosemite the next day.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What are the Underground Gardens? I've never heard of them.

This is such a cool thread!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Off of 99 and Shaw I think. NW Fresno. Never been there myself.

An Armenian immigrant dug a large home out underground over many years. Pretty cool.

My nephew took a field trip and described it to me in a bit greater detail. He said he had fun, and didn't want to talk about it as I was interrupting soccer practice, haha.

Home

Oops, he was Italian, my bad.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:56 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much!

New question!

I'm looking for a small town to stay in near Yosemite the night before our reservations inside Yosemite.

Fresno? Madera? Chowchilla? Merced? Are there any good missions to see in this vicinity?

This will be after Big Sur so I'm just looking for a quaint town where we can relax, eat dinner, and be charmed by it.

Hopes, I haven't read this entire thread yet (but I will), so I don't know if anybody has brought up the Mother Lode Country, Highway 49. The ultimate charming, quaint place to stay before Yosemite is IMO Jamestown on 49, nice little hotels, lots of good restaurants, and (if that has any interest) a great railroad museum with steam train rides (lots of movie history, too). I'll go over the thread to see if the Mother Lode is mentioned--if not, I'll come back with some suggestions!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:36 PM

I did in a DM. I suggested that way coming down from Tahoe if she went that way. Can go up it also from Yosemite to Tahoe. Good idea though.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What are the Underground Gardens? I've never heard of them.

This is such a cool thread!
Around 1900 an Italian immigrant moved out to the central valley because land was cheap but it was hard to farm before the government put in massive irrigation networks because local rain fall was so low. To make farming possible and to making living in a borderline desert more enjoyable he dug a huge number of brick lines tunnels with windows cut out of the rock as well as openings in the ceiling to let light in. The temperatures inside are often 20-30 degrees lower than on the surface and he cleverly arranged for rain run off to be diverted into cisterns to be used to irrigate his orchards and grape vines despite not having any surface water to irrigate with. Think of it kind of like a hobbit hole (half above ground and half below) which covers 10 acres of land allowing his family to live comfortable without air conditioning or imported water; even his home made rain catchment system uses gravity to move water around the farm so it is extremely labor efficient and uses no pumps or electricity.

It's kind of an interesting historical thing but not something worth taking a whole trip to Fresno just to see but if you happen to be in that area it is worth a stop to find out low tech solutions to the problems of dry land farming & living.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Haven't read the whole thread, but if you are in to wine, there are a lot of great wineries in the Paso Robles, Atascadero, SLO area.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California