Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

I'm on a National Geographic kick. Good article:
Monterey Shale Shakes Up California's Energy Future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM

23 posts, read 19,531 times
Another fine read. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
I'm still wondering, why this hasn't been tapped already. I figured all fossil fuels in California have mostly been drillled out.

Just goes to show, we have more to be concerned with the consequences of NOT running out of oil, than dwindling.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm still wondering, why this hasn't been tapped already. I figured all fossil fuels in California have mostly been drillled out.

Just goes to show, we have more to be concerned with the consequences of NOT running out of oil, than dwindling.
There are currently a bunch of bills in the Legislature to restrict, delay, regulate, etc. fracking. That may be why.

California Dems push anti-fracking bills, aim to curb potential oil bonanza | Fox News

Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM

23 posts, read 19,531 times
Quote:

Because Californians are generally against it.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnYossarian View Post
Because Californians are generally against it.
No. I'm very well aware of where there are current pumping operations, and have a good familiarity with California geology. Its NOT because they are generally against it.

I know about the offshore rigs off Santa Barbara, Huntingon Beach, the pumps going up and down in the hills north of Ventura, pumping going on in the heart of LA in the Baldwin Hills, around Santa Fe Springs, HUGE operations near McCittrick (sp), Bakersfield.

I find that is just conservative propaganda that exaggerate claims that all environmentalists are hindering progress.

The fact remains that there is not just oil everywhere underneath the ground, and is limited in its geologic formation.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
No. I'm very well aware of where there are current pumping operations, and have a good familiarity with California geology. Its NOT because they are generally against it.

I know about the offshore rigs off Santa Barbara, Huntingon Beach, the pumps going up and down in the hills north of Ventura, pumping going on in the heart of LA in the Baldwin Hills, around Santa Fe Springs, HUGE operations near McCittrick (sp), Bakersfield.

I find that is just conservative propaganda that exaggerate claims that all environmentalists are hindering progress.

The fact remains that there is not just oil everywhere underneath the ground, and is limited in its geologic formation.
I drove from the Bay Area to Paso Robles not too long ago and passed by a large drilling area close to Paso Robles. Looked like I was passing through the drilling areas of TX.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I drove from the Bay Area to Paso Robles not too long ago and passed by a large drilling area. Looked like I was passing through the drilling areas of TX.
Salinas Valley I'm guessing? That might very well actually be the Monterrey shale that the oil is coming from.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:

Sure you're correct. It's a vast, right-wing conspiracy to make the left look bad. Therefore, the following bills introduced regarding fracking don't really exist. That's just conservative propaganda and this moderate independent just made them up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. AB 7 - Wieckowski
* Oil and gas: hydraulic fracturing.
2. AB 288 - Levine
3. AB 649 - Nazarian
4. AB 669 - Stone
* Oil and gas: drilling.
5. AB 982 - Williams
6. AB 1301 - Bloom
7. AB 1323 - Mitchell
8. SB 4 - Pavley

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM

19 posts, read 19,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I drove from the Bay Area to Paso Robles not too long ago and passed by a large drilling area close to Paso Robles. Looked like I was passing through the drilling areas of TX.
San Ardo, For a thrill drive Hiway 33 from Maricopa to Coalinga, ugly as hell, looks like Texas, and is the major oil producing area of CA, and is going great guns, lots of jobs. There is a California oil boom, sans fracking. People that support Fracking tend to support the Keystone Pipeline, you know, the pipeline carrying Canadian oil to Texas to be shipped to China.

Two bad ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California