Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Let's assume you only had these two options for retirement - Fresno or Redding. Which would you choose? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I'd actually choose Coarsegold 45 minutes drive up Hwy 41 from Fresno. Beautiful area, but still close to Fresno for hospitals (St. Agnes, Kaiser), shopping and dining. You're also closer to both the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Redding is just too isolated. Plus, believe it or not, Fresno is cooler in the summer. Today Redding is 106. Fresno is 100 (Coarsegold is 95).

Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Let's assume you only had these two options for retirement - Fresno or Redding. Which would you choose? And why?
This is one of those "would I rather be deaf or blind" questions.

Why not pick a nice place to move? Like Bakersfield?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

LOL! You're killing me.

Well, choices I can afford are pretty much ...would I rather retire where I can afford to ...or die now LOL!

I am on the waiting list for affordable senior housing in Sonoma County, too, which I'd much prefer, but not holding my breath to ever get to the top of that list...before I die

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'd actually choose Coarsegold 45 minutes drive up Hwy 41 from Fresno. Beautiful area, but still close to Fresno for hospitals (St. Agnes, Kaiser), shopping and dining. You're also closer to both the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Redding is just too isolated. Plus, believe it or not, Fresno is cooler in the summer. Today Redding is 106. Fresno is 100 (Coarsegold is 95).
Looks beautiful, but too small for me. I am from the Bay Area, and moved to a dinky mountain town in WA, where everyone knew when I sneezed. I prefer to be where I can live anonymously, even though there's nothing remarkable about my life, but I don't like the fishbowl feeling of small towns. Plus, I like to be able to run to the 7-11 whenever I want.

So, needs to be a bigger town for me.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Looks beautiful, but too small for me. I am from the Bay Area, and moved to a dinky mountain town in WA, where everyone knew when I sneezed. I prefer to be where I can live anonymously, even though there's nothing remarkable about my life, but I don't like the fishbowl feeling of small towns. Plus, I like to be able to run to the 7-11 whenever I want.

So, needs to be a bigger town for me.
Since you're in the South Bay (and will probably be going back regularly even after you move) have you considered Stanislaus County? Oakdale is an awesome town on the edge of the foothills and isn't too terribly small (20K). Its also just 15 miles from Modesto (population 200K). Plus its just a little over 90 miles from either SFO or SJC. When I was a kid living there we did day trips all the time to the Bay Area.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Since you're in the South Bay (and will probably be going back regularly even after you move) have you considered Stanislaus County? Oakdale is an awesome town on the edge of the foothills and isn't too terribly small (20K). Its also just 15 miles from Modesto (population 200K). Plus its just a little over 90 miles from either SFO or SJC. When I was a kid living there we did day trips all the time to the Bay Area.
Wow! Thanks for the tip! I will check it out. No, I haven't looked at Stanislaus Co yet. Will do it tomorrow.

You're right about coming back to the bay area. My daughter lives in Oakland. It would be nice to not be horribly far away.

Thanks!

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 07-27-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Or Arvin.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 AM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Redding is off the list now? You made the right decision. It's just way too hot up that way.
Modesto, Ceres, maybe Patterson. They're all in Stanislaus county. Even Turlock. All of them have places with reasonable rents and the weather is milder. Certainly not as mild as the bay area but a lot less extreme than Redding or Fresno.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Gosh, kinda like choosing root canal or colonoscopy!

There are so many other choices out there. Try the San Luis Obispo area or the Santa Rosa locale, they have better weather, air quality and more things to see and do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California