Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeboxDiaries541 View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Yreka, living in nearby Medford. There really, truly, isn't much to do there. A very small JC Penny, a wal-mart and a few local shops. A lot of the locals say they often travel up my way for a real shopping/entertainment experience. FYI, it's 50 miles from Yreka to Medford. It's easy to say you want to try small town mountain life, it's another thing to actually live it.

I'd suggest crossing the border into southern oregon. Medford metro has well over 100,000 residents, complete with malls, shopping centers, movie theaters and anything else you'd find in a large city.
I really don't understand why "city-folk" always assume everyone interested in small community living would be miserable because they don't have huge shopping malls and "city" entertainment? This has continued to boggle my mind for decades. I presume these are the same people that can't possibly understand what in the world kids did without the internet and Playstations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Yup, if you read through the posts on all the various state boards, you soon come to realize that most people don't want to entertain themselves, they really really don't want to be alone. They want a city, they want neighbors, they want places to go to be with other people, lots of other people, thousands if not millions of other people.

To a great extent, the various questions about the various towns to live in are unimportant, most people want to have exactly the same thing in their next town as in their last town.

I find the discussions of shopping at malls, appalling, the same companies selling the same Chinese stuff in cookie cutter malls all across the country. If Yreka does not look like Medford, like Redding, like Patterson, like Santa Maria, Americans are just not happy.

There is an old once partially accurate cliche, "Everything west of Istanbul is Los Angeles" Paraphrasing this a tad the modern American says, "Everything west of Mount Desert Island is Los Angeles, thank Gawd!"

Now, you may doubt this, but read the posts, everyone wants the same thing in their town as in every other town. America has become a nation of penned up sheep, and they think that is the way it should be.

Eventually they will get around to shooting the few remaining individualists.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,143 times
will land in shasta subdivision perc? how are the winters? are straw bale homes approved up there in those parts?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Call a realtor..

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Udi

3 posts, read 31,783 times
Evidently this thread raveled out. Sure wish it would start up again. I was gone for several months and nothing has happened here. I am ready to move to northern California. I have property in KRCE. Any new info. My well is in and perc test done. Udi

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,615 times
Default Wow!

Here in Redding, California the cost per foot is approximately 30$/ft!

Kind Regards,

Cyrus Herrera Jr.
J&J Pumps Inc.
J&J Pumps Inc.
Redding, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
A few things,

The poster that said get a perc first is absolutely correct. Your well needs to be X distance away from the septic system. You don't want to drill a well and then find out your only place to put the septic system is too close to the well.

For the poster that said not to trust a real estate person.......well (sigh)..... but the well drillers definitely have a handle on the relative ease of drilling and production. In my area typical depth is about 350 feet and production varies all over the place from 4GPM to over 200GPM by virtue of the geology.

For the poster who claimed 20K as an number for the cost of the well, I think that's a fantasy number unless the depth is about 1000 feet. Around here the cost is about $17 per foot for the well and, depending on the pump, another $1500 to $2000 for the pump and fittings. Well drillers here say "no water/no pay".

For the poster who asked about financing such an improvement, most people realize when they buy land that a well is going to have to be drilled and included that in their budget. Since most land is purchased for cash (I know there's exceptions to that, don't start) people generally leave some money in their pockets for the well and septic systems or plan on saving that money over time before they construct a home or even use a construction loan to finance the well along with the rest of the home.

For the inbred comment(s). Those are just about as accurate as saying everyone in SF is gay and IMHO just as ignorant.

Good luck in your quest!

Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM

12 posts, read 44,017 times
I've just recently moved to the Hornbrook area. Here are some rambling thoughts about my move here. I bought a completed home with the well and septic in place, so I didn't have to deal with those questions.

I made the decision to leave the Central Coast of California upon retirement to a place where I could afford a nice home. Being close to nature is important to me; I love the feeling of being on retreat. The hills, rivers, and wildlife drew me here. I suppose if I could afford to live in Big Sur, I would have chosen that. I visited Big Sur often but could not afford to buy or rent a nice place there.
The rural life, like you find here, isn't for everyone; you won't find much distraction -- it's just you and the land and creatures, a few hundred other people, and being in the present moment. Very peaceful and healing.

I've always loved Ashland and it is only a 1/2 hour's drive; and Mt Shasta and Dunsmuir, other favorites of mine, are about 1-1/2 hours' drive. So I can find what I need for groceries and amenities, and I'm content with the slow life.

I traveled around California quite a bit before deciding; in the end it was NATURE and AFFORDABILITY that determined my priorities. When I feel the need to connect with the city life, I can take the AMTRAK south and spend time with friends and play for a while then come back to peace and quiet.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 11,202 times
Thanks for updating this thread with such a thoughtful post, Gardeniabee.

I'm currently considering a career relocation to the local hospital in Yreka and am looking to purchase a home along the Montague/Hornbrook corridor of Siskiyou County.

I am drawn to the lifestyle and area for all of the reasons you described.

One thing that has concerned me though is some posts about methamphetamine abuse in the area.

Now that you have spent a few months in Hornbrook, have your feelings changed or have you encountered anything particularly negative?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2014, 01:59 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Recently I've heard on tv that Hornbrook is having water problems, due to drought, etc.

CW11 Southern Oregon :: News - Top Stories - Dead Mice Found in Hornbrook Water

Old 05-19-2014, 02:49 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
The meth problem is probably no worse than in Waltham, it's everywhere now. You can look up crime stats on the main page.

I'm always puzzled when people talk about the nice views and nature in Yreka/Hornbrook/Montague. To me it looks dry, dusty, and full of ugly ranches. But then I haven't traveled extensively around those areas.

The hospital is very nice, I just had some tests done there recently. If you have any really serious problems and are dying, they usually fly you down to the bigger hospitals in Redding or elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California