Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 AM

462 posts, read 741,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Totally agree of course, it just makes me crazy. People are posting all over Facebook, I am at the beach, loving it. Bikini weather in January! Of course I am ranting on Facebook, these nice sunny days are not your friend! Oh well, you can't fix stupid, I should just give up.

We don't have mandatory cut backs yet in San Diego, but one or more two dry years and we will. Then they will be screaming at the Water Agencies...and yelling about their high water bills.
Youll be doing a lot more than just yelling about high water bills if the rivers dry up....... Mandatory cutbacks should already be instated statewide. CA does waste a stupendous amount of water. Having green lawns and pools in the middle of a desert requires a LOT of water that CA doesnt have at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
The fact is CA and especially Socal has mismanaged its water supply for decades now. Now that there is a severe drought on CA's hands, decades of mismanagement and...
And remember the most recent El Nino year, 2009, when there were four huge rainstorms at the end of the year? (Our back yard was flooded by the fourth storm.) It's hard to understand why little effort has been made to capture that excess and utilize it.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:09 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Youll be doing a lot more than just yelling about high water bills if the rivers dry up....... Mandatory cutbacks should already be instated statewide. CA does waste a stupendous amount of water. Having green lawns and pools in the middle of a desert requires a LOT of water that CA doesnt have at the moment.
Wilson I do agree with you on that point! We can now be friends!

I see you now live in Washington, no water worries up there.

Go Seahawks! I predicted a Broncos/Seahawks Super Bowl pre-season. Can't wait for the game so I can forget about all this water stuff.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
I don't see how water can actually be rationed. What are we going to do? Shell out a couple billion and install water meters on every house in the state?

More practical (and likely) measures would be to set base allocations based on household size and/or annual usage. Any amount in excess would incur sky high surcharges (I'm talking water bills that once they breach a certain usage level would jump by 1000% or more) *OR* limits to things like lawn watering, washing your driveway or you car in the driveway where they would be subject to citations also of punitive amounts. I'm talking on the order of $2000 car washes.

-Or perhaps some combination of both.

The market (and supply) would definitely regulate itself quite well. And water sold to discretionary places such as golf courses? Also increase their rates to the tune of 5000% or more.

Yes. The situation is THAT serious. And this winter tank-top weather that the folks of La-La land are enjoying are obviously failing to see just what kind of Trojan Horse this weather really is.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
More practical (and likely) measures would be....limits to things like lawn watering, washing your driveway or you car in the driveway...
I think there are already restrictions regarding water use in parts of L.A. LA Water Use Restrictions

Sacramento is beginning water restrictions now: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2qndK0fkx

Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Totally agree of course, it just makes me crazy. People are posting all over Facebook, I am at the beach, loving it. Bikini weather in January! Of course I am ranting on Facebook, these nice sunny days are not your friend! Oh well, you can't fix stupid, I should just give up.

We don't have mandatory cut backs yet in San Diego, but one or more two dry years and we will. Then they will be screaming at the Water Agencies...and yelling about their high water bills.
Yeah, I posted a status on Facebook too letting those who are raving about this weather know how intellectually retarded and short sighted they are.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yeah, I posted a status on Facebook too letting those who are raving about this weather know how intellectually retarded and short sighted they are.
As you know San Diego County has had horrible fires this past decade. I hope we don't have horrible fires this fall, but if we do, you can bet they won't remember the glorious 85 degree beach days they so enjoyed as they are being evacuated from their homes. Keep posting on Facebook. No rain = drought and a horrible fire season, not glorious beach days.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
I read on one of the news sites (I want to say ABC7, but I'm not positive), some commenter in the feedback section actually wrote in the comments section in regards to the Glendora fire "Can you please hurry up and put it out already? The smoke is ruining my view of the ocean. Thanks."

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
As you know San Diego County has had horrible fires this past decade. I hope we don't have horrible fires this fall, but if we do, you can bet they won't remember the glorious 85 degree beach days they so enjoyed as they are being evacuated from their homes. Keep posting on Facebook. No rain = drought and a horrible fire season, not glorious beach days.
Oh I did. I posted an article from CNN about the governor declaring a drought emergency. I also mentioned how avacado and citrus crops in Socal are having a hard time. A friend then pointed out how pathetic the snow pack in the Sierras is this year. I also mentioned how this is also effecting the PNW. That's important because in the west, WA is second to CA in ag. Usually when one has issues, the other can pick up some slack but that likely won't happen this time.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Oh I did. I posted an article from CNN about the governor declaring a drought emergency. I also mentioned how avacado and citrus crops in Socal are having a hard time. A friend then pointed out how pathetic the snow pack in the Sierras is this year. I also mentioned how this is also effecting the PNW. That's important because in the west, WA is second to CA in ag. Usually when one has issues, the other can pick up some slack but that likely won't happen this time.
Yes, it seems that Governor Brown just realized what practically every other Californian has known for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California