Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in California has the WORST gang problem?
Bakersfield 0 0%
Fresno 4 5.26%
Los Angeles 31 40.79%
Merced 0 0%
Modesto 4 5.26%
Oakland 24 31.58%
Salinas 1 1.32%
Stockton 6 7.89%
Vallejo 1 1.32%
Visalia 0 0%
Other 5 6.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvkev View Post
This is probably the only way that could get rid of gangs (the ones that have been around for years formed with the purpose of "protecting" their neighborhood, hence why the older ones are often named after their city, neighborhood, or street), especially Mexican gangs as they're controlled by Eme and Nuestra Familia and have to pay taxes to them (hence why Surenos have "13" in their names and Nortenos have "14" in their names. For example, Florencia 13 really means "Florencia Mexican Mafia"), as well as "cleanse" their neighborhoods of blacks, as that has been in effect since 1992, when the riots took place. The harder drugs like cocaine, heroin, meth, etc. are still illegal so until they're made legal, expect them to focus more on those drugs. If drugs are legal, there's no incentive to rely on the local gangs, and thus their business declines, which means less tax revenue for Eme and Nuestra Familia.
They will turn back to what they have always done, robbery. They will not go away. At least with drugs it is the stupid drug using people and their suppliers who are the primary target. Make it legal and YOU become a target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They will turn back to what they have always done, robbery. They will not go away. At least with drugs it is the stupid drug using people and their suppliers who are the primary target. Make it legal and YOU become a target.
Gangs will no longer have a reason to exist without drugs being illegal (unless our society is stupid enough to outlaw guns, which would give the gangs a whole new field to go into - that would be a dumb move but this society can be counted on to make some very dumb decisions)

The end of Prohibition offers a clue as to what we'll happen. We'll just have more families like the Kennedys and Bronfmans and more rich folks like the Chicago-spawned "supermob" folks who became a major force in Southern California construction, banking, entertainment, and eventually politics.

Last edited by majoun; 11-12-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-12-2017, 02:35 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
There are lots of other reasons besides drugs that people join gangs.

Father Greg Boyle: I thought I could “save” gang members. I was wrong:
https://www.americamagazine.org/fait...rs-i-was-wrong

Old 11-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Gangs will no longer have a reason to exist without drugs being illegal (unless our society is stupid enough to outlaw guns, which would give the gangs a whole new field to go into - that would be a dumb move but this society can be counted on to make some very dumb decisions)

The end of Prohibition offers a clue as to what we'll happen. We'll just have more families like the Kennedys and Bronfmans and more rich folks like the Chicago-spawned "supermob" folks who became a major force in Southern California construction, banking, entertainment, and eventually politics.
Gangs existed before drugs were an issue and will continue to exist. To think that making drugs legal would change that is wishful thinking.

They exist and will exist because the ones leading them and belonging to them will not want to lose their power and protection, plus many gangs now are multi-generational and will not become non existent.

Prohibition did not exist at one time, did for a short period and then ended. While some groups, like bootleggers and Moonshiners came into existence, they were not the only such. The Mafia existed before and after that. Gangs today are also a social group and will not go away. Plus they are already in politics.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Gangs existed before drugs were an issue and will continue to exist. To think that making drugs legal would change that is wishful thinking.

They exist and will exist because the ones leading them and belonging to them will not want to lose their power and protection, plus many gangs now are multi-generational and will not become non existent.
By that logic, Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns would still exist today even though they went bankrupt because the people leading them also would not want to lead their power and protection, and both had been around a very long time. Never mind that there was no economic basis for them to continue. Without drugs being illegal, gangs would lose their economic basis, and, like any economically imperiled organization, would have to make cuts and retrench in order to survive.

Our political system, however, does tend to make some very bad decisions, so it is certainly quite possible that they could ban guns which would give gangs a whole new lease on life.

Re: Mafia, yes, they continued to exist post-Prohibition (and arguably had more power than ever) but violence dwindled down to very. very low levels. My parents were from the South Side of Chicago and grew up in a neighborhood which Capone dominated when they were small children. Post-Prohibition they tended to maintain order not disorder as disorder was bad for their activities.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Much worse in cities like LV Denver and Minneapolis. Most So Cal gangs have moved on to greener pastures.
Unfortunately, they haven't.

“I never looked at it like a gang,” said Carter, 49. “It was like a family. My brother, my sisters, everyone else I knew was in it.”

One corner. Four killings. - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-23-2017, 06:21 PM

140 posts, read 139,933 times
Quote:
Portugal did it and it worked for them. All those gangs had to go back to their own countries because their profits bottomed out and they couldn't hire their cronies anymore. When a once petty street gang grows to control a six block radius it always comes at the expense of everyone else. Foreign gangs operating on U.S. soil will never be okay with this voter, no matter what cesspool they came from

Old 11-30-2017, 03:19 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
I live just shy (south) of LAX and I know for a fact that the gangs have gotten bad around us. Find more graffiti in our parks - walls and that is a sure sign. I know by reading the newspaper. These are not people who have been here for generations...they are the folks who have come from Central America in the last few years. They don't go to school - don't work. So they are into criminal activity.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I live just shy (south) of LAX and I know for a fact that the gangs have gotten bad around us. Find more graffiti in our parks - walls and that is a sure sign. I know by reading the newspaper. These are not people who have been here for generations...they are the folks who have come from Central America in the last few years. They don't go to school - don't work. So they are into criminal activity.
And they get free medical and a host of other things.

If you are a drug runner and get shot by the competition, don't worry your medical bills will be paid, so you can go back to ... running drugs.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
That area does have a history of gang activity going back 40 years.

Including Crip and Blood activity - are they recent arrivals, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California