Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Then why don't you just say that?

Why the dishonesty about me claiming California had the most poverty in the U.S when you know that nothing of the sort was ever said in this thread?

If you want to have a discussion, then let's have a discussion, but the witch hunt attacks are childish and ridiculous.
California does have poverty issues, it's different than other states. I've been all over California, Texas and the south and they aren't really that comparable, because they're so different. Every state has it's issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The undisputed fact of the matter remains that California does have the highest poverty rate in the nation, is home to one-third of the nation's welfare recipients, as well as the fact that 11 of the top 20 counties in the entire nation with the highest unemployment rates are located within the interior valley of the state is a blistering indictment of the green lobby and their enablers, as Joel Kotkin flawlessly points out on his Newgeography.com | Economic, demographic, and political commentary about places website out as they continue sticking to their 'climate change' mindset.

The article 'Drought Stokes California's Class War' can be found on his website, and summarizes the issue quite clearly.

If they want to turn the state into an even larger desert wasteland, and add the destruction of the farming industry employment sector to what they've done in previous decades to both the fossil fuels and manufacturing segments and the resulting exodus of millions of excellent paying jobs to other states over the past 25+ years, then that's their choice.

When environmentalists and the green lobby zealots ludicrously object to and continue stonewalling efforts to expand water storage facilities within this state, many of which were built during the administration of Governor Pat Brown and are consequently in need of being upgraded as well as expanded, it's pretty obvious that the Democrats don't give a damn about the little guy in spite of their worshiping members of the liberal media.

Consequently, the skyrocketing numbers of dirtpoor Latinos in the Central Valley, some 40% of whom are unemployed thanks to those same environmental extremists, as well as the totally pointless photo-op by our clueless President when he visited last week won't solve anything either, yet another 'inconvenient truth' that the Al Gores of the world will never admit to.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
California does have poverty issues, it's different than other states. I've been all over California, Texas and the south and they aren't really that comparable, because they're so different. Every state has it's issues
Yes, and it's okay to admit that IMO.

I think too many people in this forum get to caught up with "which state is better" and "what ranking we beat another state in" like it's some sort of competition. That's all fluff and feel good material, but the truth is there is a serious poverty problem in CA right now, and in certain areas (like the SF Bay Area, and many parts of Los Angeles), it doesn't seem to be getting better, in fact the inequality is just increasing. I've invested a lot of money and time into California and want to see this state simply do better. It's a beautiful place to live both culturally and geographically, but policies both conservative and liberal have tainted the state over the years, especially the overall business environment.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Using housing costs to calculate poverty in California doesn't give a clear picture. you can afford to purchase a home in California, you're not poor, I don't care how expensive your mortgage is. If you decide you want to rent in a trendy part of San Francisco, or West Hollywood, or Santa Monica, and the rent consumes a large portion of your check, you're not really poor, even though you might technically be living below the poverty line.

According to the OFFICIAL poverty measure, California is nowhere near the poorest state. It does have issues, but not to the extent of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, etc.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Yes, and it's okay to admit that IMO.

I think too many people in this forum get to caught up with "which state is better" and "what ranking we beat another state in" like it's some sort of competition. That's all fluff and feel good material, but the truth is there is a serious poverty problem in CA right now, and in certain areas (like the SF Bay Area, and many parts of Los Angeles), it doesn't seem to be getting better, in fact the inequality is just increasing. I've invested a lot of money and time into California and want to see this state simply do better. It's a beautiful place to live both culturally and geographically, but policies both conservative and liberal have tainted the state over the years, especially the overall business environment.

Yep, I would never say one states poverty is better than another states poverty. Does it suck to be poor in LA!? It does, and I guarantee you many poor people in LA dont take advantage of Californias unique climate and topography. Is it easier to be poor in Mississippi? Maybe financially, lower cost, but you live in a very small world either way. California's economy is maturing from a boom state reliant on growth to a more mature economy.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:45 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Here is the dope, on California poverty by county. Most of the state is computed by both the old rate and the adjusted new rate. Run your cursor over the county, and see the county data. Note that San Francisco is 23.4%, and the Silicon Valley is 22.1%, and Los Angeles is 26.9%. That is worse poverty, than the central valley of California we hear has so much poverty.

Map: California Poverty Rates by County

Compare the unemployment rate by county between California and Mississippi as an example.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/countyur-400c.pdf

http://www.mdes.ms.gov/media/8651/uratesmap.pdf

Note the Silicon Valley area has only a 6.1% unemployment rate, but it has a 22.1% poverty rate. In other words, the area where some people are getting high wages, has a big percentage of the employed in that area, are not working for high wages, but are working at low wages and living in poverty. This is a far cry from what it was like when I was raising a family there.

The 10 most overpriced cities in the entire U.S. are located in California, with 3 of them in the Bay Area.

America's most overpriced cities

Quote:
According to the OFFICIAL poverty measure, California is nowhere near the poorest state. It does have issues, but not to the extent of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, etc.
You need to see the truth. California has by far the highest poverty rate, and if you check the unemployment rate by county, you will find out it is much less than in California. Even the highest unemployment rates in Mississippi, are not near as high as the highest in California.

Lets look at the new census bureau poverty rates, and how California has the highest poverty rate in the U.S. and those states of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana are much better than California. This new measure of poverty, is the only one that really means anything any more, and the old official rate means nothing but is put out by the White House to make it look a lot better than it is to help the party in power get elected. The U.S. has gone beyond that now with the new poverty rates which are effective for the area a person lives, and is the true measure of poverty for the area.

http://www.mdes.ms.gov/media/8651/uratesmap.pdf

Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Regardless of whether California is #1, or #2, or #15 in terms of poverty, it cannot be denied that California isn't doing well with poverty, and with increasing inequality, it's likely to get worse. The state is bleeding jobs, and the homers can claim "Well we don't need those jobs because we're #1 in tech, Texas is a red state that no one cares about, and we're also #1 in this and that", that's simply ignorant. We need to be able to accept that there is a problem before we can fix it. We can't just come up with excuses like "Well, we're not as bad as Alabama", that is a lazy excuse for a lazy rationale. So we only admit that there is a problem when California is undeniably #1 for poverty, using all known studies and measure, and no one is doing worse than us? Unbelievable.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times
I think we've taken this thread purely in the direction of economics and costs when it's more than just that.

Also, it's worth noting that California is also losing its black population at a bigger rate. (over 25% of African-Americans have left since 1990) according to this: California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What about the fact many middle class Asians are moving in?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 PM

224 posts, read 321,612 times
i left california / los angeles for many reasons:

1. astronomical cost of living, not enough bang for your buck
2. general ugliness/decline of the place
3. huge personal/business income taxes, high wages, etc.
4. shift in demographics: huge influx of scumbags, losers and dreamers
5. culture that celebrates that above-mentioned ****birds
6. death by a thousand cuts with fees, fines, regulations, bureaucracy, etc.
7. general congestion of the place
8. boring suburban nature of the "city"

i sold my personal real estate back in 2006 and liquidated by commercial holdings (retail/industrial) in 2007.

i relocated my telecommunications firm as well, terminated most of my employees an re-hired locally at far lower wages.

with the tax savings alone i've been amassing a luxury car/watch collection. living like a ****ing king here in miami with beautiful scenery, beautiful people, beautiful everything.

the crazy part? after traveling/living all over the world, i've realized that after 3-4 months in a place the shine wears off, the honeymoon is over and you start dealing with the realities of "the real world / life".

never happened to me here after all these years. this place is paradise.

the only people who seem to defend california / los angeles are those who have never lived elsewhere or are so entrenched in the place they need to rationalize things to make it through the day, lmfao. like the guy with the nagging wife, ****ty job prospects, kids, mortgage, etc. who has no other choice.

california sucks a fat one, that place is a ****ing dump.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
i left california / los angeles for many reasons:

1. astronomical cost of living, not enough bang for your buck
2. general ugliness/decline of the place
3. huge personal/business income taxes, high wages, etc.
4. shift in demographics: huge influx of scumbags, losers and dreamers
5. culture that celebrates that above-mentioned ****birds
6. death by a thousand cuts with fees, fines, regulations, bureaucracy, etc.
7. general congestion of the place
8. boring suburban nature of the "city"

i sold my personal real estate back in 2006 and liquidated by commercial holdings (retail/industrial) in 2007.

i relocated my telecommunications firm as well, terminated most of my employees an re-hired locally at far lower wages.

with the tax savings alone i've been amassing a luxury car/watch collection. living like a ****ing king here in miami with beautiful scenery, beautiful people, beautiful everything.

the crazy part? after traveling/living all over the world, i've realized that after 3-4 months in a place the shine wears off, the honeymoon is over and you start dealing with the realities of "the real world / life".

never happened to me here after all these years. this place is paradise.

the only people who seem to defend california / los angeles are those who have never lived elsewhere or are so entrenched in the place they need to rationalize things to make it through the day, lmfao. like the guy with the nagging wife, ****ty job prospects, kids, mortgage, etc. who has no other choice.

california sucks a fat one, that place is a ****ing dump.
Speaking of rationalizing, did you just call Miami a "paradise"? Best laugh I've had in a while. Next time lie and say you moved to Honolulu. That's paradise. Miami is Anywhere USA outside of South Beach, most of it defines boring suburban. I get that you settled for the place because it's cheaper, but it's inferior to Los Angeles in every possible way, with an economy that's in Detroit's league. Paradise! Haha, good stuff.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 03-13-2014 at 01:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California