Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There is a chance my husband and I will be moving our family from Orange County, CA to Humboldt County(Eureka or surrounding areas) for a new job. It is still in the works, however, I want to start getting some information about the best places to live/neighborhoods, school system, kid friendly activities, and an overall idea of how living in Humboldt County rates.

We currently live right on the coast right directly inbetween San Diego and LA. We enjoy living by the beach but it is not a necessity if we were to move to Northern Cal. What is the weather like there also? And, living in a beach town, we are a little isolated compared to living in a city, however, we can be inland relatively quickly for more of a city feel. From what I've read it seems as though Humboldt County is even more isolated than living in a beach town in SoCal. Any feedback on what life is like in Humboldt? Are there shopping malls and regular conveniences within each town or is there just a main town/city that would be the hub for those types of things?

How are hospitals/medical facilities in the area? Is there one large facility or something in each town?

I've read a bunch on city data and some other sites that Eureka is a druggie/hippie town and there is more crime there than in inland cities. Can anyone confirm? It seems to be the consensus with so many posts I've read.

We have a 5 year old daughter that I currently stay home with and are expecting another in May. We would not be making a move until after May, but any information I can get around the area, best places to live, schooling, activities for kids and as a family, and just life in general in Humboldt I would greatly appreciate it. We are looking for a safe place that is family friendly.

Also, how is cost of living there for housing? It is relatively high here in Orange County so if there anyone willing to give an idea of cost for rent for a 3 or 4 bedroom house that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times
What's the job and how much does it pay? The cost of living here in Humboldt is surprisingly high due to how isolated we are (and make no mistake - we are VERY isolated here), but on the plus side real estate is pretty reasonable. I personally would avoid Eureka unless you're near the periphery but there are definitely some lovely neighborhoods if you put in the effort to find them.

Weather wise the climate is a complete 180 from what you're used to in OC. Winters are cool, gray, and rainy and summers are mild and often foggy, especially if you're within 1-5 miles of the coast. In Eureka you're not really out of the fog belt until you hit Cutten, but Cutten is also quite lovely with lots of trees, nice neighborhoods, good schools, the zoo, and Sequoia Park nearby.

Fortuna is nice as well and out of the fog belt, which can lead to temperatures in the 80s and sometimes low 90s in summer; schools are decent there.

Arcata is a college town and I personally would not want to live there, but if I did I would want to be far away from the college.

McKinleyville is a very nice bedroom community that's the "up and coming" place in Humboldt, and if you're east of Central Ave you'll typically get more sun and warmth in summer. Schools in McKinleyville are some of the best in the entire state.

Medical facilities are average or slightly below average, and people sometimes buy helicopter insurance in case something major happens and they need to be airlifted to Santa Cruz or Redding.

The drugs/hippy thing hasn't really been that big of a deal for us, and as long as you don't get involved and stay away from sketchy areas (and believe me you'll know them when you see them) you'll be fine. Lots of people around here are pretty scruffy looking but they're generally friendly for the most part.

That said, be aware that marijuana is a huge part of the culture here; people grow it throughout the county and it's often in the news for one reason or another. It's not overtly in your face but it's impossible to ignore, so just keep that in mind.

There is a mall in Eureka but it's pretty mediocre and most people seem to do their shopping at Costco. Local businesses are HUGE here though and one does get a sense of pride and belonging when shopping local, which is nice.

That said, I would recommend Humboldt if you can deal with the climate, the isolation, and the slow pace of life, but if you don't think you'd like that then absolutely don't do it. Humboldt is a place all its own and it attracts people who know in their bones they'd love it and quickly chases away people who don't, and honestly there really is no in between.

It's a beautiful area though: gorgeous redwood forests, pristine beaches, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, deep blue skies, pure rivers, and the cleanest air I've ever breathed.

Come up for a visit and have a look around before making any decisions though, and good luck!

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Arcata's a beach town. You can look up cost of housing on Craigslist, and also Google for weather averages. Arcata's a college town and has some fun, quirky traditions that are great for kids. Great hiking in the redwoods. McKinleyville is kind of a suburb of Arcata, that might be your best bet. You can go into Arcata for community events, but you can also keep it at a distance, living in McKinleyville.

Definitely drive up there for a visit, first.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM

363 posts, read 1,121,046 times
"Medical facilities are average or slightly below average, and people sometimes buy helicopter insurance in case something major happens and they need to be airlifted to Santa Cruz or Redding."

Minor detail, but I think perhaps you meant "Santa Rosa" instead of "Santa Cruz". Someone from Orange County might not know that though.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,741 times
Doh, I did mean Santa Rosa. Good catch

Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
There are several charter schools. My daughter attended Coastal Grove and it was awesome. When she graduated from 8th grade and went into a regular high school, she was ahead of the game.
Weather on average- winter or summer is about 65 degrees.
Cutten is the best area for Eureka. There are also areas between all the towns that have residences that are an easy drive to Eureka.
Everything else has already been covered.
Except maybe rent cost.
We had an old two bedroom house, in Cutten, paid $975 and that was low compared to most places. I would guess a 3 bedroom would run about $1600.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:06 PM

222 posts, read 863,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Lots of people around here are pretty scruffy looking but they're generally friendly for the most part.
Well said. It's all about who they are, not what they look like. I've visited Del Norte and Humboldt Counties often enough to notice that most folks, regardless of their appearances, are generally friendly. Then again, am a large, friendly guy so that helps.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:41 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak5 View Post
Hi,

There is a chance my husband and I will be moving our family from Orange County, CA to Humboldt County(Eureka or surrounding areas) for a new job. It is still in the works, however, I want to start getting some information about the best places to live/neighborhoods, school system, kid friendly activities, and an overall idea of how living in Humboldt County rates.

We currently live right on the coast right directly inbetween San Diego and LA. We enjoy living by the beach but it is not a necessity if we were to move to Northern Cal. What is the weather like there also? And, living in a beach town, we are a little isolated compared to living in a city, however, we can be inland relatively quickly for more of a city feel. From what I've read it seems as though Humboldt County is even more isolated than living in a beach town in SoCal. Any feedback on what life is like in Humboldt? Are there shopping malls and regular conveniences within each town or is there just a main town/city that would be the hub for those types of things?

How are hospitals/medical facilities in the area? Is there one large facility or something in each town?

I've read a bunch on city data and some other sites that Eureka is a druggie/hippie town and there is more crime there than in inland cities. Can anyone confirm? It seems to be the consensus with so many posts I've read.

We have a 5 year old daughter that I currently stay home with and are expecting another in May. We would not be making a move until after May, but any information I can get around the area, best places to live, schooling, activities for kids and as a family, and just life in general in Humboldt I would greatly appreciate it. We are looking for a safe place that is family friendly.

Also, how is cost of living there for housing? It is relatively high here in Orange County so if there anyone willing to give an idea of cost for rent for a 3 or 4 bedroom house that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
If you think a so cal beach town is isolated, you are going to feel very isolated in humboldt! Have you checked out the demographics/population? It's very rural. Cold, foggy most of the year [not freezing per se, but very damp]. Also, many parks and beaches, but not so cal beaches. Forests, hiking, etc. Arcata is a hippie-esque college town. Eureka has a few amenities but sadly, does have a drug and crime problem currently. Your best bet are a few nicer, family friendly areas like parts of Mckinleyville and the Bayside area of Arcata. Trinidad is also nice though expensive [and very small town a little north of arcata].

You can check great schools dot org for reviews and rankings. Also look at the public charter school options in the area.
Humboldt County Office of Education | Charter Schools
Fortuna is another town that may be of interest. It's small, but is said to be sunnier than the rest of the coastal area. Ferndale is a preserved victorian town with some tourism and nice houses. Don't know how schools are.

Marijuana is a huge industry/economic factor in humboldt and has been for decades. It is a part of the landscape. Safety wise, the area is not mayberry but it's not terrible, per se. More petty crime/theft. And some areas are much worse than others. It's also an old logging industry area that has been economically depressed for quite some time. It still has a working class flavor, along with the university town type of amenities.

As far as medical and hospitals, activities, etc., simply google this information! There are many tourist and relocation sites dedicated to the area. First stop would be wikipedia so you can see the population difference and the area's location relative to large metro area [5-6 hour drive to the bay area]. And to check the climate/weather differences and statistics. Basic research will give you a much better idea. Also, one of you needs to visit the area first. It's way too different culturally and geographically to not see first hand before you make such a move.

Also, for rental costs, simply look on padmapper or craigs list dot org. People can only give you their firsthand experience/opinion of where they lived and that may have been years ago. It's best to research these things yourself, directly. Then you can post specific towns and locations in towns to see if they are good/safe areas.

If you like rural and lots of nature, with small time shopping options and value a very liberal/bohemian/working class atmosphere and do not mind not having a plethora of restaurants or chain stores and restaurants to choose from and having to drive several hours to the nearest population center, then you may like Humboldt. If you were enamored with Redwood forests and down to earth people, you'd be in heaven! If you want everything in a 'family package' with activities all prepared for you and prefer to go to malls and cities for leisure/entertainment, then it's probably not the place for you. You'll find activities [again, google 'family friendly in eureka/arcata'] for kids-a small zoo, gardens, etc. but not extensive and once you've done them a few times, you personally may be bored. Or not. It depends on what you need/expect. There are endless options for camping, hiking, hanging out in the woods or on an isolated beach. Nice farmers markets, artists and local businesses. But it's not a pristine area in terms of culture or neighborhoods.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
What's the job and how much does it pay? The cost of living here in Humboldt is surprisingly high due to how isolated we are (and make no mistake - we are VERY isolated here), but on the plus side real estate is pretty reasonable. I personally would avoid Eureka unless you're near the periphery but there are definitely some lovely neighborhoods if you put in the effort to find them.

Weather wise the climate is a complete 180 from what you're used to in OC. Winters are cool, gray, and rainy and summers are mild and often foggy, especially if you're within 1-5 miles of the coast. In Eureka you're not really out of the fog belt until you hit Cutten, but Cutten is also quite lovely with lots of trees, nice neighborhoods, good schools, the zoo, and Sequoia Park nearby.

Fortuna is nice as well and out of the fog belt, which can lead to temperatures in the 80s and sometimes low 90s in summer; schools are decent there.

Arcata is a college town and I personally would not want to live there, but if I did I would want to be far away from the college.

McKinleyville is a very nice bedroom community that's the "up and coming" place in Humboldt, and if you're east of Central Ave you'll typically get more sun and warmth in summer. Schools in McKinleyville are some of the best in the entire state.

Medical facilities are average or slightly below average, and people sometimes buy helicopter insurance in case something major happens and they need to be airlifted to Santa Cruz or Redding.

The drugs/hippy thing hasn't really been that big of a deal for us, and as long as you don't get involved and stay away from sketchy areas (and believe me you'll know them when you see them) you'll be fine. Lots of people around here are pretty scruffy looking but they're generally friendly for the most part.

That said, be aware that marijuana is a huge part of the culture here; people grow it throughout the county and it's often in the news for one reason or another. It's not overtly in your face but it's impossible to ignore, so just keep that in mind.

There is a mall in Eureka but it's pretty mediocre and most people seem to do their shopping at Costco. Local businesses are HUGE here though and one does get a sense of pride and belonging when shopping local, which is nice.

That said, I would recommend Humboldt if you can deal with the climate, the isolation, and the slow pace of life, but if you don't think you'd like that then absolutely don't do it. Humboldt is a place all its own and it attracts people who know in their bones they'd love it and quickly chases away people who don't, and honestly there really is no in between.

It's a beautiful area though: gorgeous redwood forests, pristine beaches, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, deep blue skies, pure rivers, and the cleanest air I've ever breathed.

Come up for a visit and have a look around before making any decisions though, and good luck!
Great way to put it and similar to what is said about New Mexico: You don't choose NM, it chooses you. The same is often said about Maine, too. People just know in their bones/soul, whatever that they need to be be there. Some places are just like that, I've found.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Also, Arcata has a number of innovative charter schools; Coastal Grove is waldorf based and there'sa k-8 Montessori.
A community of joyful scholars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California