Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you left California for somewhere more affordable, what would be the best alternative? Where woul
Austin 15 16.67%
Denver 15 16.67%
Dallas-Fort Worth 5 5.56%
Phoenix 9 10.00%
Seattle 13 14.44%
Portland 11 12.22%
Other (please specify) 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
It's fallen on its "tookus". High speed rail is a failed experiment that California was never ready for. The NIMBYs have effectively killed the project in its infancy. King County residents have sued to block it. Fresno residents have sued to block it, and a judge has blocked $9 billion in bond sales that would have funded the project. By the time all of this gets out of the courts, we will have already invented Star Trek matter-to-matter transporters.

Time to kill it.
I would be happy to kill it. I'd be happy to kill anything that facilitates more growth or ease of use of the state thus encouraging more people coming here. But "lawsuits" don't mean squat other than confirming we are still in America de-rigueur. Like invasive species, these things don't die easily.

Anyway, in spite of my own reasons for not wanting the damn train, it might prove to be successful by its own definition in the end. Hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
It's has always been a good idea on paper, like a lot of things.

But this has always been an easy target for NIMBY lawyers. It has to pass through 8-9 counties, several cities/towns, and through several large swaths of farming area. The lawyers are literally salivating at the thought of tying up High Speed Rail for years and collecting fees for doing so. This project is going to put a lot of NIMBY lawyer children through college, and buy a lot of top-down Porsches.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I agree on the NIMBY problem, but what is so wrong with planning such a train? Sure, you can argue huge costs, ridership, subsidies, yada yada, but it is something that many of us long for; a European style high speed train. It makes sense on many levels. And having it would be an enormous boast to our infrastructure.

Rather than declare defeat, why not fight the NIMBYS and finally (if not now, when we can afford it) build something world class?
I never said anything was "wrong" with planning a high speed rail line. Just like there is nothing wrong with planning a manned mission to Mars. Doesn't mean it will happen within our lifetimes.

Fighting the NIMBYs always seems noble in thought, then you realize that all the fighting does is enrich lawyers, and put their kids through expensive private university.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
We left CA and didn't want to go to somewhere like CA (hence why we left) are are currently in the Salt Lake City area. We like it more than CA but really don't expect to end up here. We want somewhere with more snow and that isn't so hot in the summer. However, this is where we could get jobs for the moment and that has a winter (our two requirements).

Old 05-02-2014, 06:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We left CA and didn't want to go to somewhere like CA (hence why we left) are are currently in the Salt Lake City area.
Kind of like OC, except cheaper. Multiple wives can get expensive, though.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I would be happy to kill it. I'd be happy to kill anything that facilitates more growth or ease of use of the state thus encouraging more people coming here. But "lawsuits" don't mean squat other than confirming we are still in America de-rigueur. Like invasive species, these things don't die easily.

Anyway, in spite of my own reasons for not wanting the damn train, it might prove to be successful by its own definition in the end. Hope not.
But the state's population IS going to increase. What you propose guarantees a significant, unit for unit, increase in more of the same of our existing transportation infrastructure. This is a question of "what type", and whose priorities are respected. And despite the rhetorical flogging and litigious blood-letting, it is going to get built. Anybody who did not anticipate this exact political ****-storm since even before prop 1A passed has not been paying attention to the state of our society. Fortunately for all of us, the Governor is playing the long game.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
But the state's population IS going to increase. What you propose guarantees a significant, unit for unit, increase in more of the same of our existing transportation infrastructure. This is a question of "what type", and whose priorities are respected. And despite the rhetorical flogging and litigious blood-letting, it is going to get built. Anybody who did not anticipate this exact political ****-storm since even before prop 1A passed has not been paying attention to the state of our society. Fortunately for all of us, the Governor is playing the long game.
Don't dispute a thing you've said. Yep. I believe it WILL be built. And I think it's possible that it will be a "success" by the plan's definition.

I just plain don't like anything that makes mobility easier. That only leads to more development. Unit increase on the existing, crumbling infrastructure dampens the growth. Also increases the frequency of road rage incidents that can lead to some early attrition from armed conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California