Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 PM

384 posts, read 734,385 times

Advertisements

Cut down the population. Problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:57 PM

11 posts, read 12,771 times
Well, I think you answered your own question. Rather than rely on free water from Jefferson, a pay to play model would be created that would make it acceptable for locals. This would allow for the creation of said straw, which would lower the reliance on southern oregon, norcal water sources. Lake shasta, Klamath, whiskytown would continuously be replenished and stay at max fill capacity at all times. The trinity, and Klamath would never run dry.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 PM

11 posts, read 12,771 times
Columbia River Water Next Export to California | The Oregon Catalyst

It is estimated that Oregon could supply California with approximately 8 billion gallons of water each day without any deleterious effect on either the environment or shipping. That amount of water could easily end, forever, the shortages that have plagued Southern California for decades. At the same time, jobs and revenue would flow into Oregon in numbers never seen before. It is estimated that at least 7,000 new temporary jobs would be created to construct the pipe and that 125 permanent jobs would be created in maintaining the pipe and pumps needed to supply the water. Revenue for this water, at current California rates, could easily top six million dollars per day or more. “That is over two billion dollars of revenue per year for Oregon for something that costs Oregon nothing,” noted Branxton.

so doing a little math on the 11 Trillion gal shortage works out to
11000000000000 8000000000
1375 days
3.767123288 years to refill the shortage. seems like a no brainer

Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The state of Jefferson is already being bled dry from the south. Almost all of our reservoirs are being pumped southward for irrigation or drinking. Why would we want to help? Desalination would cost less and create jobs.
And thus encourage more people to move to California and demand more resources, housing, infrastructure - and of course double the existing freeway lanes to ten each direction so we can all sit in our cars like one big happy family! Cool!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrygar View Post
Columbia River Water Next Export to California | The Oregon Catalyst

It is estimated that Oregon could supply California with approximately 8 billion gallons of water each day without any deleterious effect on either the environment or shipping. That amount of water could easily end, forever, the shortages that have plagued Southern California for decades. At the same time, jobs and revenue would flow into Oregon in numbers never seen before. It is estimated that at least 7,000 new temporary jobs would be created to construct the pipe and that 125 permanent jobs would be created in maintaining the pipe and pumps needed to supply the water. Revenue for this water, at current California rates, could easily top six million dollars per day or more. “That is over two billion dollars of revenue per year for Oregon for something that costs Oregon nothing,” noted Branxton.

so doing a little math on the 11 Trillion gal shortage works out to
11000000000000 8000000000
1375 days
3.767123288 years to refill the shortage. seems like a no brainer
And why exactly would we want to overrun either or both California and Oregon with more development and people?

"Growth for its own sake is the ideology of a cancer cell" - Edward Abbey

Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And thus encourage more people to move to California and demand more resources, housing, infrastructure - and of course double the existing freeway lanes to ten each direction so we can all sit in our cars like one big happy family! Cool!
I do not think either desal will happen significantly unless they can perfect it or pumping water from the Columbia which would also be expensive. What they are planning on is adding 18 feet to the height of Lake Shasta at a cost of $1billion. I grew up close to where you are Tulemutt, Pittsburg. It was tiny when I was a kid, so was Antioch and Brentwood was rural. I saw the stages of growth in Pittsburg, saw it turn into a bedroom community of tract homes displacing farm land. Highway 4 went from 2 lanes, to 4 when I moved away, last time I was there it was 3 in each direction with plans on widening it more. I am not for desalination to encourage growth, but to sustain what we have. I like it where I live up here, not enough jobs to encourage growth and population growth for the county is minimal, none of the towns are expected to exceed 30,000 people and Eureka has been just under 30,000 for almost 30 years. I do not think that we will need to worry about desalination plants up here, but if this drought turns out to be a West coast long term drought, the desire for water is going to drive the movement for desalination plants and Humboldt Bay has a good location for a plant and water could be piped up 299 to Trinity lake and keep it filled enough to continue water down the Klamath for the salmon and the Trinity river too.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I do not think either desal will happen significantly unless they can perfect it or pumping water from the Columbia which would also be expensive. What they are planning on is adding 18 feet to the height of Lake Shasta at a cost of $1billion. I grew up close to where you are Tulemutt, Pittsburg. It was tiny when I was a kid, so was Antioch and Brentwood was rural. I saw the stages of growth in Pittsburg, saw it turn into a bedroom community of tract homes displacing farm land. Highway 4 went from 2 lanes, to 4 when I moved away, last time I was there it was 3 in each direction with plans on widening it more. I am not for desalination to encourage growth, but to sustain what we have. I like it where I live up here, not enough jobs to encourage growth and population growth for the county is minimal, none of the towns are expected to exceed 30,000 people and Eureka has been just under 30,000 for almost 30 years. I do not think that we will need to worry about desalination plants up here, but if this drought turns out to be a West coast long term drought, the desire for water is going to drive the movement for desalination plants and Humboldt Bay has a good location for a plant and water could be piped up 299 to Trinity lake and keep it filled enough to continue water down the Klamath for the salmon and the Trinity river too.
Yes. I have also watched the explosion - since '65-'66. Though I didn't start hanging in the Delta until many years later. I was first in San Diego and then the inner Bay Area. Military years. The population has fully doubled in that time since my arrival.

I'm no misanthrope. I love people. Just not so many of 'em!

I enjoy Humboldt immensely and stop and camp in your area a couple times a year. Seriously considered living there some years back, but I'm a sun worshiper

That all said, I don't support even supporting what we have. Because the old adage applies: "Give 'em an inch, they'll grow another 38 million!"

The more you make people comfortable, the more show up demanding "MOAR"! At the top of their lungs!

Old 03-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Thirsty crops should require state regulation - LA Times

Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. I have also watched the explosion - since '65-'66. Though I didn't start hanging in the Delta until many years later. I was first in San Diego and then the inner Bay Area. Military years. The population has fully doubled in that time since my arrival.

I'm no misanthrope. I love people. Just not so many of 'em!

I enjoy Humboldt immensely and stop and camp in your area a couple times a year. Seriously considered living there some years back, but I'm a sun worshiper

That all said, I don't support even supporting what we have. Because the old adage applies: "Give 'em an inch, they'll grow another 38 million!"

The more you make people comfortable, the more show up demanding "MOAR"! At the top of their lungs!
Your right.

Why don't' you start a campaign to stop breeding??

After all the bulk of the population growth is birth not new residents moving in.

Put up signs that say: NO-MORE-KIDS "Tulemutt"

Old 03-24-2015, 05:19 PM

462 posts, read 741,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Your right.

Why don't' you start a campaign to stop breeding??

After all the bulk of the population growth is birth not new residents moving in.

Put up signs that say: NO-MORE-KIDS "Tulemutt"
Actually for CA the bulk the population growth is births and foreign immigration. Not from people moving there from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California