Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM

201 posts, read 861,156 times

Advertisements

As said before, you did not like it but there are plenty of people who love that lifestyle and seek it. Many do not mind it one bit that their nearest neighbor is miles away. Life in a big city isn't for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! I've lived in Los Angeles for 24 years now. I KNEW I wanted to get away from the rural lifestyle.

I do think that a lot of people who pine for the rural lifestyle don't realize all that it encompasses.

Many people talk about crime in cities and suburbs. There is crime in the rural areas too. What's interesting is that "Help" is closer to you in the city than it is in the country. Police, fire departments, ambulances, hospitals -- those things can be far away if you live in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:04 PM

62 posts, read 376,685 times
I have lived in So Cal for the first 42 years of my life, but have made the difficult decision to move on. While I love many things that the state offers - and hour drive to the beach or the ski slopes, the ability to play golf year round, limitless opportunity if you choose to chase it, setting trends for the rest of the country to follow, incredible entertainment opportunities, incredible diversity, absolutely amazing Mexican food, In-n-Out Burger, some of the greatest universities in the world - it has simply become too much - too expensive, too many taxes, too much traffic, too many people, too much of a rat race, too much keeping up with the Joneses.
I am also particularly troubled by the referendum system of government that seems to rule the state. While the referendum did initially help the little guy, it has evolved into nothing more than a way for special interests, or big business, to stick it to the little guy.
California was once great, I truly hope it becomes so again.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Don't even compare crime in the country lifestyle with crime in the city......not even remotely related!! Crime in the city definitely out weighs crime in the country. How do I know? I'm an ex-farmer from northern Indiana. I still have buddies, that I graduated with, that took over their parents farms years ago. They would absolutely laugh their butts off (as I am) at the statement about crime in the country. Yes, there "probably" is "some" crime in the country.......but, what would it be? Stealing some corn out of a field, stealing some hogs from a hog farm, stealing farm equipment? I have NEVER heard of any of that happening!!! Living in a rural area sure doesn't mean you lived in farm or ranch land.
I have often compared kids from farms/ranches with kids from the inner city or "rural" areas. Since I was raised on a farm and in 4-H and FFA, I knew a lot of kids from farms. We didn't hang out at Malls or around the local 7-11. We were out on tractors working fields and taking care of livestock with our parents. We had responsibilities, something that a lot of kids in the city don't have or want.
Sorry, but the city/country crime statement got to me. I'm an ex-farmer and darn proud that my upbringing was on a farm.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:26 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Don't even compare crime in the country lifestyle with crime in the city......not even remotely related!! Crime in the city definitely out weighs crime in the country. How do I know? I'm an ex-farmer from northern Indiana. I still have buddies, that I graduated with, that took over their parents farms years ago. They would absolutely laugh their butts off (as I am) at the statement about crime in the country. Yes, there "probably" is "some" crime in the country.......but, what would it be? Stealing some corn out of a field, stealing some hogs from a hog farm, stealing farm equipment? I have NEVER heard of any of that happening!!! Living in a rural area sure doesn't mean you lived in farm or ranch land.
I have often compared kids from farms/ranches with kids from the inner city or "rural" areas. Since I was raised on a farm and in 4-H and FFA, I knew a lot of kids from farms. We didn't hang out at Malls or around the local 7-11. We were out on tractors working fields and taking care of livestock with our parents. We had responsibilities, something that a lot of kids in the city don't have or want.
Sorry, but the city/country crime statement got to me. I'm an ex-farmer and darn proud that my upbringing was on a farm.
You're right about people who are farmers or ranchers (and kids who grow up on a farm) -- but my aunt lives on a farm in Indiana and she rents the land out to someone else so neither her or her kids do any farming. Also, there are a lot of areas in this country where living in a rural area doesn't mean you are ranching or farming. Some people just like living back in the woods or way out in the desert. (Look at the Unibomber and people who run meth labs.) The area I was living in in my post above didn't have farms or ranches around it. It was just really rural and had a lot of acreage that was owned by people who weren't doing anything with it. Now that I think about it, there was a lot of drug trafficking in that state too...

Having said that, I did know a lady who lived a few miles from me who had a chicken coop with about 25 chickens in it -- but I don't think that was enough to call her a "farmer." She also had a little garden but she told my friends that her main business was "Import/Export." She didn't say what she imported and exported.

If you have 4-H or FFA around you, they are worthwhile enterprises and they do keep kids out of trouble.

P.S. Here's a link to an Ohio State paper on rural crime: http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issu...e/v1donner.htm

Last edited by UB50; 10-31-2006 at 08:42 PM..

Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM

UB50: You are right, there can be a big difference between rural living and living in farm/ranch country. Since a lot of farms and ranches are located on large to very large acreage, neighbors can be miles away. In rural areas, neighbors can be a block away.
Finally, someone who truely understands the difference between city kids and farm/ranch kids......when it comes to getting into trouble. I have been told by parents (both in the Forum and in public) that farm/ranch kids get into as much trouble as city kids do. When I told that, it really "ruffles" my feathers, because I know better. I really can never recall seeing a kid showing a steer, hog, lamb, horse or other livestock with body piercings and tattoos. I even worked for three weeks at the L.A. County Fair in their Livestock Dept. as a Show Ring Stuart/Announcer.......didn't see any tattoos or body piercings on any kids.
So, I have to say, "Thank You" for your true comments about rural living and farm/ranch kids.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
UB50, I agree with everything that you said in regards to the inconveniences of living in a rural area, and I also agree with the fact that small, rural, communities are NOT immune to the challenges that face families today. I just found out a week ago that one of my high school friend's child died of a drug overdose in April. There ARE meth labs, etc. in every part of the country now, there is drug dealing going on (in my opinion) especially in rural areas because they can be the most conspicuous there. I live in such a rural area. Personally, I don't care what a few posters rant about here over and over again. I won't be reading any of the predictable responses; frankly, because I know better. Wishing you a good day.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that rural areas can appear to be the most "inconspicuous". There can be a very dark side to living in a rural area, it can be close-minded, not open to any change or progress. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
No smog checks in Colorado.......don't know where you got that info.....WRONG!!!!!!!!!
And, watch out for what you "wish for/want". States that do have 4 Seasons, like Colorado, can get some hefty thunderstorms and snowstorms. We live in Parker and got 12 inches of snow last week. It hasn't all melted yet (Monday, 30th).
In certain counties of the state, emissions tests are indeed required for certain makes/years of vehicles. Read the info below:

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/smog-check.php

People on the Colorado forum are indeed mostly positive. I think there are three reasons for this.
1) The hugely positive people are newbies who have lived there 5 years or less
2) Many of these newbies are either from California or some other populous state and Colorado's lower prices and density reflect well
3) Colorado is indeed a beautiful state; many of its fine qualities are not yet tarnished. In other words, think California thirty years ago.

I have many SoCal relatives who would never ever leave their state. However, all but one of them have migrated north to either the Central Coast or NorCal.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 AM

To, Donna7
The wife and I will take living in a rural area ANYDAY to living in the city. And, yes, there are a number of people that live in rural/farming/ranching areas that are not that "open-minded"....including me and my wife. We don't see anything wrong with that. Los Angeles, New York and some other big cities have people that think being "open-minded" is the only way to be....WRONG!! I don't have to be "open-minded" to what other people like to do or say or live. Being to "open-minded" can ruin marriages, etc. People should have choices on how they want to be.......NOT TOLD HOW THEY SHOULD BE!!!
Way to many people have moved out to rural areas because of the cost of housing and then they complain about the "smell" of horses or other livestock and want to change the area. Horse/Livestock people will always tell these people, "you know that people in rural areas can have horses or other livestock, if you don't like it........STAY IN THE CITY!!
As I said in another reply: I was raised on a farm and loved it.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM

To Dear Loveboating,

You love rural, then by golly, go live rural, and more power to you. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California