Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM

89 posts, read 131,921 times

Advertisements

I don't live in California, actually, I don't even live in the USA, but I see a lot of people on this forum saying "California is super expensive, full of immigrants, no jobs, high poverty etc.." but yet, people keep moving here (according to Wikipedia) so there must be something good if people keep moving here. So, what is it ?(except the weather)
I'm not here to accuse anybody but some people seem like italians (I live in Italy) that say "oh my god I hate working so much (7-8 hours a day) and I'm poor, Italy sucks. (most of italians go on vacation in other european countries 2-3 times a year, especially during summer). What do you think ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I don't live in California, actually, I don't even live in the USA, but I see a lot of people on this forum saying "California is super expensive, full of immigrants, no jobs, high poverty etc.." but yet, people keep moving here (according to Wikipedia) so there must be something good if people keep moving here. So, what is it ?(except the weather)
I'm not here to accuse anybody but some people seem like italians (I live in Italy) that say "oh my god I hate working so much (7-8 hours a day) and I'm poor, Italy sucks. (most of italians go on vacation in other european countries 2-3 times a year, especially during summer). What do you think ?
I live in Los Angeles three weeks- month at a time and then go to work in San Antonio for a few weeks. As a gay man, I appreciate that Calif is much more progressive than Texas in many ways incl worker protection, civil rights, etc. Of course, I seriously have a love affair with the weather and the many activities that are avbl here in SoCal. What I don't like is the phenomenal costs of living and/or buying a home here in a place where I would WANT to live. This was MUCH easier in the 1990s until EVERYONE decided that a home should not be an INVESTMENT rather than a place to live. The TRAFFIC is also unbearable. A Friday afternoon trip from Woodland Hills to San Diego takes me 6-7 hours. I know that it wasn't so bad before back when I lived in SoCal in the 90s. Yes, there are TOO MANY immigrants here!!! Calif is already so crowded without adding more welfare dependent people to the state. The Calif gov't is always working against the taxpayers here and do their level best to aid the illegals. Home prices keep homes unattainable to many in. San Francisco, Los Angeles.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:23 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,166 times
California is a huge and very diverse state both culturally and geographically. The natural beauty in many parts of the state is unsurpassed. The state is home to large, highly-populated urban areas as well as large areas that are completely rural and undeveloped.

California is almost a country unto itself due to its vast size and population. Basically any generalization that's made about CA is in some cases true and in many not true at all. The desirable parts of CA are very expensive to live in. Cost of living in my opinion is the state's biggest drawback. Many people also don't care for the pervasive liberal extremist political views that many of the state's leaders possess. I'm not hugely political though, so that aspect doesn't really have much influence on my day to day life.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Calif is already so crowded without adding more welfare dependent people to the state. .
California is too overcrowded without adding ANY kind of people, from anywhere, of any color (including white).

Old 08-20-2014, 02:30 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
I don't live in California, actually, I don't even live in the USA, but I see a lot of people on this forum saying "California is super expensive, full of immigrants, no jobs, high poverty etc.." but yet, people keep moving here (according to Wikipedia) so there must be something good if people keep moving here. So, what is it ?
It's the fact that California is seen as a liberal state, and conservatives love to portray it in the worst possible light because they think that proves the correctness of their political viewpoint.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:43 PM

272 posts, read 322,398 times
Maybe because many people in California like to say “As California goes, so goes the nation.”
But the results of the politicians' actions here are not that rosy

interesting article here

California's Economic Collision Course: Immigration and Water - Forbes

Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
California is too overcrowded without adding ANY kind of people, from anywhere, of any color (including white).
LOL- you got that right!!! People from the outside might look at a map and think that Calif is a physically large state. But much of it is arid desert or the boonies, where many people do not want to live in. There are already water sustainability problems as well as long time residents of cities that are being evicted because mega-rich people want to take over those properties. Calif must have been such a wonderful place at one time. I wish that I could have visited it in that era.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
LOL- you got that right!!! People from the outside might look at a map and think that Calif is a physically large state. But much of it is arid desert or the boonies, where many people do not want to live in. There are already water sustainability problems as well as long time residents of cities that are being evicted because mega-rich people want to take over those properties. Calif must have been such a wonderful place at one time. I wish that I could have visited it in that era.
Only 15% of CA is desert.

Only 2% of CA is crowded/semi-crowded.

97% of CA is rural or Wilderness.

When people talk about how bad the traffic is, the polluted air, high crime they usually are only seeing CA from the perspective of LA, where such conditions are the norm, LA is not CA. The greater LA area covers way less than 1% of the land area of CA

I live in CA and traffic is almost never an issue for me, unless I drive to the SF Bay Area at the wrong time of day. Low crime, clean air and forest for miles and miles. It snows, lots.

No mega rich folk taking over properties.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
That has the enduring myth of CA, and the West in general, since Helen Hunt Jackson published Ramona. You just missed the good old days. The perpetuation of this fantasy has helped cloak the always-present water and sustainability limits, while causing useful political diversion for those vested interests adept at popular and political manipulation. To wit: 80% of the state's water goes to corporate agribusiness, which sells most of its product out-of-state, but which actually comprises a small percentage of the state's overall economy. Instead of honestly addressing that reality at ANY point in our history in ANY meaningful way, our conditioned response has been limited to endless political ****-shows involving peripheral canals, water tunnels, desalination, north-vs south, left v right, white vs brown, environment v jobs, delta smelt, snail darters, bond measures and whether yellow is actually mellow.

The hills were fragrant with Orange blossoms. Heaven, unless you were an Okie starving for work, many of whom already viewed their new home as Paradise Lost.

LA was a suburban paradise. Except when the smog was so thick, parents were reluctant to let the kids play outside and were nervous about the neighborhood “changing”.

The good old days are now, and we need to act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California