Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Yet you still support attracting people with subsidized living! Great contradiction there. I guess you just hate the middle class and want them gone.

I have provided facts, and have included links. All I get in response is "thats biased."

That's BS. I highly recommend California for poor people. If you're going to be poor and live on the government dole, then you may as well do it in California! Who cares if housing is more expensive, if its paid for by the government? Who cares if food costs more if you get more food stamps? Who cares if daycare is expensive if the government pays for it? The list goes on.

A poor person is just as well off, if not BETTER off in expensive places like California than in cheap places like Texas. On top of that you get to live in a Mediterranean climate.
I'm not sure it is possible to be more dense than you.

Link us back to ANY POST where I have supported attracting people in any way to California. I don't support subsidized housing to attract people here or anywhere. What I support is truthful information. Which you are not providing. Just the opposite.

I don't hate anybody in particular, including the middle class. I just want fewer people. I don't give a shirt which ones leave. I haven't the slightest fear that less population would be comprised only of the dregs of a once great society. The idea that quality people would abandon the magnificence of this state to drooling, brain-dead, zombie welfare stereotypes is laughable.

Your "facts" aren't factual. They were hypothetical propaganda from extremist ideologues, created to stir up emotion in weak-thinking, fearful people. And you lap it up.

Now, you've been challenged repeatedly by several posters to provide factual data. Put up or -

Why are there still poor struggling people by the millions if all this subsidy you claim is easy and available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You can't control people and force feed them wholesome foods, which are difficult to buy on a budget anyway. So, let them use the food banks and buy toilet paper with their SNAP supplement, for goodness sake.
Wholesome and healthful foods are not expensive, in fact, they are often some of the cheapest items in the grocery store. Controlling what people do with assistance intended to feed them is a great opportunity to get people to eat better which will result in a considerable reduction in health care costs as the lower income groups tend to eat the worst. The WIC program does this and its a big success, the mothers (and their children) on WIC do better health wise compared to socioeconomically matched mothers not using WIC precisely because WIC controls what can be purchased.

I'm all for providing food for people in need....I just want the funds to go towards healthful foods. The only reason we have a food assistance programs that allows free range is because it benefits the food industry.....its bad for both tax payers and people's health.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:23 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,659,230 times
They've never been.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Population numbers being high doesn't create any particular foundation for success. California was in excellent shape with half its present population. At this point, over population is a drag and drain on the state in every respect. There is no reason that productive people will leave California. Unfortunately. People just love it here too damn much

Not large enough. We need to lose 15 or 20 million. Yesterday.
I suggest you read some of the other forums like the San Jose and San Diego forums. There are many extensive threads about middle class families leaving California because of the cost of living. Families wth children want to buy homes and that is virtually impossible in the San Francisco Bay area and very difficult in San Diego. People enquiring about moving to these areas are advised not to do so because of the cost of living.

It has become difficult for high tech employers to get professionals to move here because of the high COL.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:36 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I suggest you read some of the other forums like the San Jose and San Diego forums. There are many extensive threads about middle class families leaving California because of the cost of living. Families wth children want to buy homes and that is virtually impossible in the San Francisco Bay area and very difficult in San Diego. People enquiring about moving to these areas are advised not to do so because of the cost of living.
Um, you apparently aren't getting my message: I don't care who leaves. I don't care why. I just want a LOT of people to go away. And I like people. Just not so damn many!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Um, you apparently aren't getting my message: I don't care who leaves. I don't care why. I just want a LOT of people to go away. And I like people. Just not so damn many!
Whatever.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 AM

Since when is hearsay on internet forums considered evidence? Many middle-income families both leave and move to California each year, your going to be able to find whatever story you want to hear due to the sheer volume of people moving into/out of the state each year.

Outside of the prime areas, its pretty easy for middle-income folks to buy a home in California.....it just may be a smaller home than in some other states. Not everyone values or wants a large home. I make more than the vast majority of households and yet I'm typing from a relatively small 2-bedroom home which costs me a small fraction of my income (5~6%).

Old 08-26-2014, 12:47 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Yet you still support attracting people with subsidized living! Great contradiction there. I guess you just hate the middle class and want them gone.

I have provided facts, and have included links. All I get in response is "thats biased."

That's BS. I highly recommend California for poor people. If you're going to be poor and live on the government dole, then you may as well do it in California! Who cares if housing is more expensive, if its paid for by the government? Who cares if food costs more if you get more food stamps? Who cares if daycare is expensive if the government pays for it? The list goes on.

A poor person is just as well off, if not BETTER off in expensive places like California than in cheap places like Texas. On top of that you get to live in a Mediterranean climate.
You're absolutely right. Everything you say, think and do is correct. Thank GOD you left the state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Wholesome and healthful foods are not expensive, in fact, they are often some of the cheapest items in the grocery store. Controlling what people do with assistance intended to feed them is a great opportunity to get people to eat better which will result in a considerable reduction in health care costs as the lower income groups tend to eat the worst. The WIC program does this and its a big success, the mothers (and their children) on WIC do better health wise compared to socioeconomically matched mothers not using WIC precisely because WIC controls what can be purchased.

I'm all for providing food for people in need....I just want the funds to go towards healthful foods. The only reason we have a food assistance programs that allows free range is because it benefits the food industry.....its bad for both tax payers and people's health.
I believe your heart is in the right place, but to assume that because someone is poor means they can't figure out how to eat healthfully is really ....... arrogant. To tell them they must spend $250 on food, when they can get enough decent food at a food bank, and need that $250 to fix a radiator on their car so they can get to work, or pay the electric bill, etc., is ....well, just wrong.

It's bad enough to need a handout, but then to be told, sorry, you can't use that money for toilet paper, or Kotex, or paper towels or shampoo, is wrong.

Just because someone is poor, does not mean they are stupid and inept or even uneducated. I, for one, have a bachelors degree. And I go to the food bank. And I am blessed in that in my situation, the state of CA supplements my federal SSI money with cash, to the tune of about $150, I think, that enables me to keep my apartment at 80 degrees, while it's 110 outside.

Now, are you going to really tell me that if I had SNAP instead, my life would be better by buying wholesome foods with that $150, and come home to a house that I can't afford to keep cool?

Yay, I have wholesome food, and way more of it than I need because I can also go to the food banks. But, I'm too fricking hot to eat it, because my apartment is 100 degrees, and I have no toilet paper.

Have you ever had a boss who made a decision for your job or department without consulting you, even though you were the one that would have to actually deal with whatever he bought or did? For instance, when I was a legal secretary, way back when, a software salesman came and took the partners to lunch and sold them on a new software program. I believe it was WordPerfect. The secretaries had spent a long, long time learning all the codes for MultiMate, I think was the software. Back then, you had to memorize codes for everything. So, the partners came back all pleased with themselves for being progressive lawyers with the latest and greatest software - that they never used.

Did they ask us secretaries if this software was better? Would make our lives easier? Nope. They figured they knew what was best for us, without asking.

This subject about the food stamp allocation is the same thing to me. Ask us what we need. Don't force feed me your idea that I MUST spend $150 on food. When I can get most of it for free, and really, desperately need that $150 for electricity and gas or to save to buy new tires for the car.

And really? You think I should have someone monitoring how I eat? How'd you like that?

What do you propose, the dinner police? Knock, knock, Veee must inspect vhat you are eating vor dinner. Eeet must be wholesome or.......

Vhat???? Macaroni and Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Off vit your head!

Poor people don't have "free range" because of some conspiracy with the food industry. Hello, ever heard of discrimination? Equal rights? How about dignity?

Wow. Just. Wow.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 08-26-2014 at 01:15 AM..

Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Since when is hearsay on internet forums considered evidence? Many middle-income families both leave and move to California each year, your going to be able to find whatever story you want to hear due to the sheer volume of people moving into/out of the state each year.

Outside of the prime areas, its pretty easy for middle-income folks to buy a home in California.....it just may be a smaller home than in some other states. Not everyone values or wants a large home. I make more than the vast majority of households and yet I'm typing from a relatively small 2-bedroom home.
You are living in dream land. The only places with affordable housing do not have any good paying jobs. A modest fixer upper in San Jose costs at least $750,000 and even more in a good school district. A nice home is well over a $ million. Rent for a 3 BR apartment costs $3500+ /mo. San Diego is just as bad because salaries are lower. If you want to spend 3 hours or more commuting everyday then you could buy a home but not many people want to do that.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I believe your heart is in the right place, but to assume that because someone is poor means they can't figure out how to eat healthfully is really ....... arrogant. To tell them they must spend $250 on food, when they can get enough decent food at a food bank, and need that $250 to fix a radiator on their car so they can get to work...
I don't think its arrogant to say something factual, its simply a fact that in general low income households eat worse than higher income ones. Much of this comes down to lower income households having, in general, less knowledge about nutrition.

As for as using the funds for other things, people should be provided the bare necessities and many alternate use of funds would go outside of that scope. But assistance should include basics like shampoo, etc.

Quote:
federal SSI money with cash, to the tune of about $150, I think, that enables me to keep my apartment at 80 degrees, while it's 110 outside.
This is the sort of thing I don't like, keeping your home at 80 degrees is a luxury and not true need. The state should only be providing basic needs.

If food banks are so lush with food that people can get food from them and spend government aid on luxuries then that points to the programs being too generous.

Quote:
And really? You think I should have someone monitoring how I eat? How'd you like that?
I didn't say anything about "monitoring", instead I suggested that only lower cost healthful foods should be available when one is using food aid. That both lowers the cost of the programs and also improves the health of the people on the program.

This isn't about trying to control people, instead insisting that people make good and efficient use of public assistance from tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California