Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If you really think the good old days are now (in California), take a walk on the streets of Pacoima or Panorama City. Back in the 1950s and '60s, they were considered up-class, desirable places. Now, the crime rate is high and half the signs are in Spanish.

Yes, there was more smog then, but that won't kill you instantly like a bullet can.
The city’s overall homicide rate has returned roughly to the same levels as the mid-1960’s. Panorama City and Pacoima have changed, sure. But other areas have become statistically less dangerous. Another change is the fact we are all older; I’ve made the choice to refuse embellishing the halcyon days of my youth when the Manson Family rolled around my family’s home. I also want Marineland back, but that’s not happening. And I’m not sure why signs in Spanish have to do with crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:08 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

But, I also don't think it's so easy to "sell" your SNAP benefits. They come on a debit card now, and if you sell it, you're going to have to explain what happened to your card to the state. I don't think it's that easy. Gone are the days of the paper food stamps.

Selling the benefits is easy and done pretty much on a regular basis. They do not give the card away. The either go with the person who is buying the food, usually pushing the cart for the buyer, or wait a few minutes and meet them in the store when the buyer is about to check out. They then pay with their card. In the parking lot the shopper gives the card holder the money. So, yes they still have their card and are perfectly able to use it the next month.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And there we have it. From the horse's mouth, as the saying goes. Hope 'things and stuff' and 'lae60' can read and realize that extreme hypotheticals generated by extremist factions have little to no connection to boots-on-the-ground reality.

AM radio unmasked
My information is not from reports or the media, it is what I see around me (food programs). What I have experienced (my parents having rental property). And a friend's family (e.g. recently her son returned from another state just to get an insulin pump installed as CA will pay for it and the state he lives in would not. That state said he could inject himself as most diabetic do. He will return to the other state when he is fully recovered, keeping his CA benefits until they figure out that he is not in CA. Last time he left it took them over 6 months to figure out he was gone so his food and medicine continued at our expense. And yes, he returns to the home with his wife and 2 kids in the other state. Stays with and uses his mom's address when he is here. And yes, people have tried to turn him in to both the State of CA/LA County and neither will even take a report unless we can give them his SSN, which we do not have.)

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I guess you just don't get it. That's fine. Meanwhile, reality is happening. Those droves you hear people talking about are real.
Outstanding! I knew someone would know about them. Now where can I buy one? Need it to send those Califoreigners back in 'cause they seem to hide them once they arrive.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You are always so kind and gracious, John.

However -- you're wrong. It has affected you -- you just don't know it yet or are refusing to acknowledge it yet -- give it a little bit longer. I trust a big wig on the board of a water authority for a major city, rather than a 'civilian'. And, besides, if Southern CA, especially, is not being affected -- by one of the worst droughts it has ever had in recorded history -- then what is the desalination plant all about? The millions of dollars spent on its construction are just for kicks?
I guess I missed something as I am not aware of any plans for a desalination plant. Where will it be located? I have always advocated desalination so I am glad to hear about it.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A bit of a self contradiction there John. I'm with you on keeping people away. Thus I would point out that the more you "enhance" livability, the more people will come. I oppose that damn train for the same reason. It is a no-win situation: either it's a failure and sinkhole for the money, or it encourages more people and development.
The big factor in keeping people away and causing people to leave is the high cost of living. Another factor is that many companies are moving out because of the anti-business climate.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I think people do move to CA for the weather. And the potential for employment in so many different industries. Even our state colleges are dirt cheap. But really, most come here for what.they perceive the life to be in CA.

Some people have sticker shock after they move. Then they complain. Others of us have lived here for yrs and have realized as we've grown older justvhow difficult it can be to get ahead in CA compared to other states.

The high COL is a reality here. But a lot of what the state has to offer makes up for it.
Our state universities aren't so cheap anymore. Our son is the head coach of the men's soccer program at a California State University. He says that recruiting players from out of state is difficult unless they are offered a scholarship. This is even the case where they are offered tuition at resident cost.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
The city’s overall homicide rate has returned roughly to the same levels as the mid-1960’s. Panorama City and Pacoima have changed, sure. But other areas have become statistically less dangerous. Another change is the fact we are all older; I’ve made the choice to refuse embellishing the halcyon days of my youth when the Manson Family rolled around my family’s home. I also want Marineland back, but that’s not happening. And I’m not sure why signs in Spanish have to do with crime.
I agree 100%. There are many things that are better now. San Diego is much nicer now than is was back in 70's when we first moved there. Now downtown San Diego is very nice. The same goes for Long Beach.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
My information is not from reports or the media, it is what I see around me (food programs). What I have experienced (my parents having rental property). And a friend's family (e.g. recently her son returned from another state just to get an insulin pump installed as CA will pay for it and the state he lives in would not. That state said he could inject himself as most diabetic do. He will return to the other state when he is fully recovered, keeping his CA benefits until they figure out that he is not in CA. Last time he left it took them over 6 months to figure out he was gone so his food and medicine continued at our expense. And yes, he returns to the home with his wife and 2 kids in the other state. Stays with and uses his mom's address when he is here. And yes, people have tried to turn him in to both the State of CA/LA County and neither will even take a report unless we can give them his SSN, which we do not have.)
Sorry, but your personal observations of a handful of cases do not constitute a national crisis. The amount of fraud in these programs is barely measurable statistically. Whereas the Chicken-Little hand-wringing and hyperbole creates a blinding dust storm of misunderstanding and prejudice.

How dare a diabetic find a way to get an insulin pump to ease his suffering! Worse than a Wall Street banker collapsing the world financial system. Entirely comparable, eh

Before you spread misinformation, why don't you actually research how much money is budgeted and disbursed to how many people. Learn about the fraud costs as a percentage of cases served.

And then come back and tell us how those truths compare to white collar crime. Hell, tell us about how welfare fraud compares to annual revenue lost due to ordinary, everyday "honest, hardworking citizens" just like you and me cheating on their taxes.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The big factor in keeping people away and causing people to leave is the high cost of living. Another factor is that many companies are moving out because of the anti-business climate.
Apparently, not nearly big enough factors - either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California