Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:37 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,343,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Apparently, not nearly big enough factors - either of them.
Sound logic. If a population is growing then it must have perfect policies. I guess Texas.. and Africa are perfect, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Sound logic. If a population is growing then it must have perfect policies. I guess Texas.. and Africa are perfect, as well.
Um, you apparently completely miss my meaning. I was commenting that - regrettably - neither the high cost of living, nor the challenging business climate, are forcing the state's population into decline. If you haven't noticed, I am on a campaign to encourage people to leave California. En masse. In droves.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Selling the benefits is easy and done pretty much on a regular basis.
And what are you basing this on? "Regular basis?"

The state should just give a certain amount of cash, instead of money for food, and money for living. It's a stupid system - if it's even still that way.

Like with my SSI, I get a supplement from the state (a cash amount added to my SSI income), instead of SNAP. Most other states that I've looked into don't do it that way.

I think it's obnoxious to try and force people to buy a certain dollar amount of groceries. For one, you can't buy toilet paper with it. Been there.

You can't control people and force feed them wholesome foods, which are difficult to buy on a budget anyway. So, let them use the food banks and buy toilet paper with their SNAP supplement, for goodness sake.

Moving to a different state is not against the law. Depending on this guy's type of income, you can't easily change benefits when moving from one state to another. Heck, just moving from Santa Clara County to Shasta County, it took me 6 months to get a primary care physician. I could still go sit and wait for some doctor to see me, without an appointment, so I wasn't left out on the street. But, this is not an easy thing to do.

And when I moved from one situation while on SSI (was getting a "free" apt for managing an apt building, and SSI deducted about $260/month for my "free" apartment), to an apartment where I was paying my own rent - it took 3 months before my benefit amount changed from $627 to $877. And during those 3 months, I had to pay my bills with $250 less than I was entitled to. EXCEPT, there's some weird exception that you don't get your new amount for 2 full months - I moved on the 4th of November, so they didn't consider November a full month. Had to wait until Feb 1st to get my new amount.

So, I question whether or not this guy is coming out ahead by moving back and forth to CA. He must have really needed that insulin pump.

You're not talking in a knowledgeable manner. No statistics or real data. From what I know first hand, I'm betting he's taking a hit on benefits in order to get better medical in CA. California's Medi-Cal program is great. I didn't even realize just how great.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Um, you apparently completely miss my meaning. I was commenting that - regrettably - neither the high cost of living, nor the challenging business climate, are forcing the state's population into decline. If you haven't noticed, I am on a campaign to encourage people to leave California. En masse. In droves.
You are the most ironic poster on this board. You fail to grasp easy concepts and obvious problems and then claim that others aren't understanding. You then prove my point by repeating the same flawed logic/conradictions. It is truly maddening.

So you cite population growth as proof that nothing is wrong with California. I blew holes in that logic.

You follow up by saying you want people to leave, yet fail to recognize the point I've made about subsidizing people living there. If you're going to be a no-skilled worker and have subsidized housing, daycare, food, etc then you may as well move to California! It's beautiful and the weather is great. Duh.

If you've read my posts you'd know that I'm not some right-wing anti-california hack. Quite the contrary. My criticisms of California are based on pragmatism. Your reasoning skills are just not up to par to have such adult conversations.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
If you really think the good old days are now (in California), take a walk on the streets of Pacoima or Panorama City. Back in the 1950s and '60s, they were considered up-class, desirable places. Now, the crime rate is high and half the signs are in Spanish.
underlined part is progress for me. reconquista going smoothly. within a century, this will be the new map of mexico.

(in all seriousness, mexican-americans in LA are bat-**** crazy. i'll admit that as an ethnic Mexican. this is more so a result of toxic american culture and parents being too busy either being stupid or working. this isn't just restricted to California.)

Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,647 times
Quote:
forcing people (indirectly) to leave California will only cause the state to fall more into the ****s than it already is. all the productive and ambitious people will go where their skills can be put into full use and have a good life. you want to see what I talk about? see Italy and Spain. all their cream of the crop are moving to England, Holland, and Germany.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,889 times
Quote:
Apparently, not nearly big enough factors - either of them.
There is a large outflow of middle class people. That is a fact.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
You are the most ironic poster on this board. You fail to grasp easy concepts and obvious problems and then claim that others aren't understanding. You then prove my point by repeating the same flawed logic/conradictions. It is truly maddening.

So you cite population growth as proof that nothing is wrong with California. I blew holes in that logic.

You follow up by saying you want people to leave, yet fail to recognize the point I've made about subsidizing people living there. If you're going to be a no-skilled worker and have subsidized housing, daycare, food, etc then you may as well move to California! It's beautiful and the weather is great. Duh.

If you've read my posts you'd know that I'm not some right-wing anti-california hack. Quite the contrary. My criticisms of California are based on pragmatism. Your reasoning skills are just not up to par to have such adult conversations.
Son, a few more revolutions around the sun and my odometer will hit 70. From your lack of ability to parse through and understand information rationally, I'm guessing you are a sophomore in high school pretending to be an adult.

I never intimated that population growth means there's nothing wrong with California. Indeed, I am stating quite clearly that what is wrong with California is overpopulation.

You have had repeated explanations by several knowledgable posters here showing that your subsidies obsession is fantasy. You have been challenged to provide answers to logical questions and you have failed to provide any. If the poor were subsidized to the degree you suggest is common, no one would be poor. And since the cost of living is so much less so many other places, California would actually be very low on any list of places to go for your money's worth.

You have one poster here who is even on these subsidy programs poking holes in your nonsense. But apparently you simply don't have the mentality to grasp how completely ridiculous your babbling is.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
forcing people (indirectly) to leave California will only cause the state to fall more into the ****s than it already is. all the productive and ambitious people will go where their skills can be put into full use and have a good life. you want to see what I talk about? see Italy and Spain. all their cream of the crop are moving to England, Holland, and Germany.
Population numbers being high doesn't create any particular foundation for success. California was in excellent shape with half its present population. At this point, over population is a drag and drain on the state in every respect. There is no reason that productive people will leave California. Unfortunately. People just love it here too damn much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
There is a large outflow of middle class people. That is a fact.
Not large enough. We need to lose 15 or 20 million. Yesterday.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:

I never intimated that population growth means there's nothing wrong with California. Indeed, I am stating quite clearly that what is wrong with California is overpopulation.
Yet you still support attracting people with subsidized living! Great contradiction there. I guess you just hate the middle class and want them gone.

Quote:
You have been challenged to provide answers to logical questions and you have failed to provide any.
I have provided facts, and have included links. All I get in response is "thats biased."

Quote:
If the poor were subsidized to the degree you suggest is common, no one would be poor. And since the cost of living is so much less so many other places, California would actually be very low on any list of places to go for your money's worth.
That's BS. I highly recommend California for poor people. If you're going to be poor and live on the government dole, then you may as well do it in California! Who cares if housing is more expensive, if its paid for by the government? Who cares if food costs more if you get more food stamps? Who cares if daycare is expensive if the government pays for it? The list goes on.

A poor person is just as well off, if not BETTER off in expensive places like California than in cheap places like Texas. On top of that you get to live in a Mediterranean climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California