Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM

10 posts, read 15,018 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21-year-old female that's moved out of my hometown in Nevada because both the gambling/nightlife focus of the city and the drinking/partying focus of the university I was attending were both a very bad fit for me, personally. So, I'm staying in Sacramento, California temporarily while searching for a "proper fit" for a new city to stay and settle in somewhere on the west coast... when, lo and behold, I come across Fort Bragg on wikipedia.

Fort Bragg does appear to have a few of the "positives" I'm looking for (at least from a superficial, outsiders perspective), including:
-Plenty of opportunities for calm, relaxation, and quiet (and as an introverted personality that struggles with hearing sensitivity, so that's a big one for me.)
-Low, affordable rent costs, especially compared with a lot of other places in California
-A cool, coastal climate and environment

However, that being said, I do have to play devil's advocate on the matter, and consider some of the other aspects... such as how after growing up in a very desolate and remote area, I do prefer access to some of the cultural elements that come with big cities, such as arts, literature, and multicultural communities. I've also heard a lot of Fort Bragg residents described as "outgoing," and I'm not entirely sure how well that would fare with my tendency (and preference) towards being generally reserved. Then of course is the matter of any "negatives" to living in Fort Bragg that either I haven't mentioned or am entirely unaware of.

Anyways, any insight that anyone could offer on the matter would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Do you want to continue with school? Maybe Eureka/Arcata area? It's fairly affordable, on the ocean and also has a college, so there'd be a decent population of younger folk, but no gambling industry.

I haven't been to Fort Bragg in ages, and then only passing through. But, my feeling is it's too remote and there's no college nearby.

Check out Humboldt State University:

Humboldt State University

Craigslist rentals for the area:

humboldt county apts/housing for rent - craigslist

Good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 AM

10 posts, read 15,018 times
Thank you, Nomoresnowforme - however, with all due respect, I think will be taking a 1+ year break from school, if going back at all... I definitely need some quiet and a reprieve from the "college" crowd.

Nonetheless, I will definitely take what you said about the remoteness into serious consideration (after all, I did mention that I like to have something of a writing or art group nearby, so that might be a factor.) Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, and I wish you the best, as well!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Fort Bragg- well the county of Mendocino, is fairly big on the arts. Not sure if College of the Redwoods campus in FB is still operating. There had been some issues.
I would not call it cheap, but cheaper than the majority of ocean towns. It is a fairly large community, but is quite remote as far as getting to another location that is just as populated.
As for your 'personality'...don't worry about that. I can be both an extrovert and introvert, depending. Never had issues.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
It depends. Do you ever want to have a job or be gainfully employed? If so then Fort Bragg isn't for you. Actually, that's not true as you can probably find a menial minimum wage job while you're in your early 20's but if you ever want better you'll either have to know someone or move some where else. I suppose you could illicitly grow weed or file for disability as that's what most people in Fort Bragg seem to do. That's the reason housing costs so little there; there are no jobs.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Guessing you want to start your life. Don't just leave for a new town, you will be dragging the same old stuff with you. Throw it all off, do something that will take you away. Like join a branch of the service. A girl could do a lot worse in these crazy times. My Niece from Sacramento joined the Air Force 7 years ago and is loving life.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:17 PM

37 posts, read 51,819 times
Fort Bragg has a rapidly growing Latino population. Don't worry about being reserved, lots of people up there mind there own business. I think you are too young to live there. I would recommend Santa Rosa as a stepping stone to another life. Or a small city nearby. the coast can get really isolated after a very short while for people your age...

Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,895 times
I too am looking at the Fort Bragg area but I'm 50. Everyone is telling me go to Santa Rosa. Cute towns nearby, better weather and more employment opportunities. Wherever you go, take every opportunity to be happy. Take care!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
I have always been a beach bum! Live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada,my my heart has always been to the coast.I am retired now, am at the coast more often, then not! ! For years I have been looking to live in Fort
Bragg.Shall I scale to live elsewhere on the coast?I live on SS and pension, can't seem to find a place! Any suggestions? I am truly worried I won't make it to live the rest of my life on the coast, even though, eventually, my ashes will!!

Old 09-02-2016, 03:06 PM

479 posts, read 431,902 times
College of the Redwoods' Ft. Bragg campus is now part of Mendocino College, whose main campus is in Ukiah.
I am totally familiar with Ft. Bragg if y'all wanna message me for more specific info on the area. I'm out and about most the rest of today, but I generally check in here once a day...
Like Think4yYourself says, it depends on what you're looking for. Plenty of arts organizations (the Mendocino Art Center; the Mendocino Coast Writer's Conference...for some reason I can't link these... try googling 'em). Lots of writers, artists, musicians around, too. Job-wise it's tough... but, there's lots of opportunity for quiet and solitude. Not a whole lot of things for young adults, unless you're an avid outdoors person... or you like to drink...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California