Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate would be harder for a coastal Southern Californian to adjust to?
Seattle's long, gloomy, rainy, sunless winters and pleasant summers 31 57.41%
Miami's steamy, hot, humid, stormy summers and pleasant winters. 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM

79 posts, read 150,955 times

Advertisements

God just the transition from San Diego to San Francisco has been rough and depressing for me and I can't wait to get back to the nice weather of SoCal. I can't begin to imagine how tough it must be to move up there. I think places like Seattle or anywhere where it never actually gets warm for a extended part of the year, you would have to have grown up in or just truly love to want to spend your life in place like that.

I could honestly handle the midwest weather over places like SF or Seattle because at least for 3 or 4 months a year you are guaranteed warm weather (even if it is humid) regardless of it getting to 20 below in the winter. In places like Seattle or SF or Portland you are maybe given a couple warm days a year but that's it so you don't get that feeling of knowing that even if the weather the rest of the year is terrible at least you have a nice warm summer or fall to look forward too.

Last edited by ltrrtl218; 10-27-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,034 times
I can't imagine most Californians - north or south - appreciating steambath summer heat and humidity. I'd vote for Miami being hardest.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,177,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I can't imagine most Californians - north or south - appreciating steambath summer heat and humidity. I'd vote for Miami being hardest.
Southern California gets a little taste of humidity sometimes in August or September. I imagine its a very alien concept for those from the Northern part of the state.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I hope I never have to find out. If I ever need to leave here I will take the heat of the Phoenix area before ever moving to either Florida or Washington. LOL

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I hope I never have to find out. If I ever need to leave here I will take the heat of the Phoenix area before ever moving to either Florida or Washington. LOL
WHAT?!!! I am recording this that someone from California chose the HEAT of Phoenix over Florida or Washington State! Jk.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post

Note: Miami gets almost twice as much rain as Seattle but it comes in sudden and heavy downpours of the intensity that Californians never see
Which is one of the main things I would hate about living in California. I can't imagine life without exciting storms.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
While Miami would not be pleasant for a number of reasons, trading the June Gloom of southern California for the nearly perpetual grey of Seattle would be harder to take for this southern California native. Also, my northern California native wife is susceptible to SAD so Seattle would not be an option. Over time you can become acclimatized to humidity.
This. Plus the limited daylight in winter. Though the extreme heat and humidity of Miami summers would also be pretty hard to take.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,865,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Southern California gets a little taste of humidity sometimes in August or September. I imagine its a very alien concept for those from the Northern part of the state.
Actually, the humidity level of the East Bay fluctuates, and can be very noticeable some days.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:09 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrrtl218 View Post
I think places like Seattle or anywhere where it never actually gets warm for a extended part of the year, you would have to have grown up in or just truly love to want to spend your life in place like that.
Sounds like you've never been to Seattle in the summer. It blows summer in SF away and I'd take it each and every time. Long, warm days and super long twilight. The rest of the year in Seattle though...

Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrrtl218 View Post
God just the transition from San Diego to San Francisco has been rough and depressing for me and I can't wait to get back to the nice weather of SoCal. I can't begin to imagine how tough it must be to move up there. I think places like Seattle or anywhere where it never actually gets warm for a extended part of the year, you would have to have grown up in or just truly love to want to spend your life in place like that.

I could honestly handle the midwest weather over places like SF or Seattle because at least for 3 or 4 months a year you are guaranteed warm weather (even if it is humid) regardless of it getting to 20 below in the winter. In places like Seattle or SF or Portland you are maybe given a couple warm days a year but that's it so you don't get that feeling of knowing that even if the weather the rest of the year is terrible at least you have a nice warm summer or fall to look forward too.
This is only true of San Francisco. Seattle has warm summers and Portland gets hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California