Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 PM

24 posts, read 28,646 times

Advertisements

Do it.

Post about it right here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM

66 posts, read 84,891 times
San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego are all far more desirable than Washington, DC could ever dream of being. Unfortunately, many are stuck here due to work.

To be blunt - there are only very few exceedingly popular "dream" lifestyle locations in the U.S.A people willingly pay through their nose to be - California, New York City and Hawaii. Just look at the prices of their luxury real estate and get back to me. Sure, the media hypes those locations up but it's probably justified. Washington, DC is nothing compared to them. Just a place we come to work and eventually flee.

Most of D.C. would exit in a heartbeat if we didn't have to be here.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Well, I'm an east coast person for life and I much prefer the vibe, history, dynamic lifestyles and endless options in metro areas like New York, Washington DC and Philadelphia. Not to mention the level of wealth in this region. Those are the things that I connect with.

The west coast is nice to visit but it's too isolated from most important things in North America for my liking. Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Having an explosive personality isn't the same as having bipolar syndrome. However, I do want to know what drugs the OP is taking.
Heh, yeah, explosive is a good word. I want to know the drugs he's on, too

Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego are all far more desirable than Washington, DC could ever dream of being. Unfortunately, many are stuck here due to work.

To be blunt - there are only very few exceedingly popular "dream" lifestyle locations in the U.S.A people willingly pay through their nose to be - California, New York City and Hawaii. Just look at the prices of their luxury real estate and get back to me. Sure, the media hypes those locations up but it's probably justified. Washington, DC is nothing compared to them. Just a place we come to work and eventually flee.

Most of D.C. would exit in a heartbeat if we didn't have to be here.
The first half of this was true then it just got gradually inaccurate......very inaccurate.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:42 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
OK...take out the marble and concrete monuments to dead presidents. Please tell me the wonderful aesthetics of downtown building architecture in DC. Are you telling me that DC row homes are more architecturally appealing than the vintage homes one would find in the Pacific Heights neighborhood of SF?

Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You're highly annoying and you have way to much time on your hands. I've met Californians that love DC, especially people from Pasadena. DC doesn't have interesting architecture? The most inaccurate statement you've made yet

Old 10-28-2014, 08:48 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
OK...take out the marble and concrete monuments to dead presidents. Please tell me the wonderful aesthetics of downtown building architecture in DC. Are you telling me that DC row homes are more architecturally appealing than the vintage homes one would find in the Pacific Heights neighborhood of SF?

Please.
Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Capitol Hill and LeDroit Park are some of the most gorgeous residential neighborhoods I've seen anywhere in the country. Are they better than SF? Well, I'm not going to say that. They're different and difficult to compare. I love SF too.
If you really think those DC neighborhoods are uninteresting, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Who among you have considered this? And why?

I considered and planned this move for many years and finally made the move from DC (actually North Arlington) to San Diego a year ago

Age group

B. 26 - 29

Salary group

D. $56,000 - $85,000

Why

1. Why you're moving - I needed a change (born and raised in NoVA). Knew the longer I waited the harder it would be to leave. Had family out there and plenty of savings. My job actually came with me and my wife was on board so it made it a no brainer
2. what do you want to accomplish there - Slower pace of life. Picked up surfing which has always been a dream of mine. Enjoy living an active outdoor lifestyle year round and not be limited by the climate and work first lifestyle of DC. Wanted to experience living the CA lifestyle with a different kind of mindset.
3. Are you moving just because of the weather? No, but its definitely a reason. I just missed out on that ****ty winter you guys had last year
4. Who do you know in CA - My immediate family, my cousin in SF and now my new friends
5. Why not stay in DC? - Life is too short to live one place your entire life where you are never truly happy

Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 10-28-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
English architecture vs Spanish architecture: who likes which the most depends on the person.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post

Please.
The architecture in DC matches more of what you see in Europe. So in my opionion yes it's nicer than the rowhomes in SF. You just find any reason to hate DC, you could even hate the sky in DC because it's not blue enough. You will find any reason to hate the city, you're a pathetic person with a lot of time on your hands from the looks of your previous posts. People on CD take your advice with a grain of salt, are you 12? Find something more interesting to do. Maybe go knit something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California