Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 02:29 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times

Advertisements

I think once these metro areas get to a certain population, say 5 million people, they need to become their own state. That way people in rural areas of the states such as Califofnia, Texas, Illinois wouldnt have to compete for state funds with these super large metro areas that are more populated than 75% of all the states. I've come to notice that there are alot of people in small cities and towns and rural areas really resent the large metro areas in their state because they feel they are being overlooked and forgotten due to the mega metro in their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 02:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And state ad hominem makes California obtuse better, right? 'Course, it is a nice way to dodge the issue addressed. Well done!

Just pointing out how poorly things are handled in Missouri. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Now you have a missing AR-15 stolen out of a St. Louis police car, brilliant.

But hey, FL says thank you! You have taken the heat off them as the joke of the nation.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieModan View Post
With a nearly 2 trillion dollars GDP, ranking itself in the 8th largest economy in the world, California is definitn y "the golden state", the richest state in the world and basically carry the whole country on its shoulders, isn't about time we stop sustaining the union and declare our independence?

If California was to seceed from the USA and become it's own country., I doubt it would still be 8th largest economy in the world. It would probably drop to middle of the pack ranking, or lower. The first the thing the USA would do is come in and take back all the miltary bases in California. I would imagine alot of the Fortune 500 companies would leave the state. I would imagine lots of manufacturers would move out as well. California would have to develop a new mail system and a new monetary system and whatever all the other stuff a region needs to have in order to be its own self-sustaining country.

There's a lot of negative things that would happen that most secessionists have not even considered if California became its own country.

Bottom line, I think California needs the United States more than the United States needs California.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Just pointing out how poorly things are handled in Missouri. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Now you have a missing AR-15 stolen out of a St. Louis police car, brilliant.

But hey, FL says thank you! You have taken the heat off them as the joke of the nation.
Guess you jist din't unnerstand. Pity! It's always unfortunate when critical thinking skills go begging.

By the way, Genius, St. Louis is one city, not a state; not even Missouri. You should have figured that out by now with about 35 posts on the matter. Guess things are a bit slow in Florida, huh?

G'Day!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 11-27-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-27-2014, 09:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Not sure CA is really too hip to this idea.

It's a Jefferson thing.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess you jist din't unnerstand. Pity! It's always unfortunate when critical thinking skills go begging.

By the way, Genius, St. Louis is one city, not a state; not even Missouri. You should have figured that out by now with about 35 posts on the matter. Guess things are a bit slow in Florida, huh?

G'Day!

Gee St. Louis is a city! Who knew...LOL. It's a city that's in Misery isn't it?

That's some local and state police you have. They're the ones that need to do some critical thinking.

"We didn't anticipate this kind of reaction".....it would be funny if the outcome wasn't so tragic.

In LA they rounded them up and got them off the street, in Misery they loot them loot and burn....well run state.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:36 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
Quote:
It truly boggles my mind that there is not a large succession movement in
It truly boggles my mind that someone spearheading a thread can't take the time to spell its main subject ("secession") correctly.

I was born here, raised here, and still live here and love it, but your disrespecting another region in the country is uncalled for and does not add to California's "plusses".

Beside that, we have our own set of "rednecks" that you have not included. What were you going to do with them?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Beside that, we have our own set of "rednecks" that you have not included. What were you going to do with them?
Pass a law requiring turtlenecks be worn at all times.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM

807 posts, read 898,409 times
I'm not sure that Jefferson secessionists are as interested in splitting from the US as they are in simply leaving CA. There's also now a variant of libertarians in the Bay Area who have expressed an interest in creating a territory that specializes in catering to large businesses.

My take on the OP's question is that all of the answers for why TX shouldn't secede would apply to CA as well. Just because we have more flowing revenue (under current conditions) doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's fun seeing what people think about this, though.

The better question to ask would be "COULD California successfully secede from the US if we were allowed to?"

I would speculate yes to that, keeping in mind that many states couldn't do it even if they wanted to. But the odds of success are very low given the incredible logistical challenges involved. It's just that California has a greater chance to succeed than another state might, in the sense that 2% is greater than 0%.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
It truly boggles my mind that there is not a large succession movement in California. California is the richest state in the US, the country's locomotive and pays more tax to the federal government that any other state. And what do we get for our taxes? We get idiots going into Syria, killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people (including brave American soldiers), and bankrupting the country in the process. The southern rednecks are too stupid to realize that the reason the world hates the US and the reason terrorists want to blow up the US is because the republicans have a history of doing stupid things like the war in Iraq. If we didn't do things terrorists would not be after us. Why should the hard earned money of the blue states goes to sustain the redneck parasites from the south/southeast?

Imagine how much better we could make the schools, infrastructure, environment, economy and other things in California if we invested all of the tax money the Federal government steals from us to blow up Iraq and sustain the red states, instead invested that money in making California a better place.

California should not sit back and watch the rest of the country drag us down with them. We Californians should rise up, demand our independence, and create a much better California.

PRO CALIFORNIA FIANT EXIMIA

NON DVCOR DVCO

EUREKA
and now tell us how financually sound California is and what about the property taxes for starters? You mention things like schools, you do realize schools are not a federal issue and your property taxes are what support the schools? I might add your property taxes do not go to the feds...I have to wonder where you are getting some of your ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California