Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I washed my trucks on my front lawn last night. Lots of stares fom people driving by and a few comments from the neighbors.

Water Wars coming soon to a water district near you.
Washing cars at home was disallowed years ago, here in Santa Fe. People take them to car washes, or just don't bother to wash them. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Washing cars at home was disallowed years ago, here in Santa Fe. People take them to car washes, or just don't bother to wash them. Not a big deal.
California duster. A fabulous invention.

http://calcarduster.com

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
California duster. A fabulous invention.

California Car Duster Company - Home Page
My brother loves those! He uses them to dust in the house.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Fantastic ruling, water rates shouldn't be profit centers.

However, as is been said, if the government was serious about conserving water, they wouldn't be spending all their energy worried about penalties for showers, lawns, and glasses of water in restaurants. The focus would be on the fact of more water is used for Almonds than all the water used by every business, home and lawn in Los Angeles and San Francisco combined over multiple years.

Since Jerry is welcoming even more almond orchards while droning on constantly about peoples showers, I know he is not serious about the drought, but instead interested in advancing a political agenda and inflicting maximum suffering on the people of California.
I read the case and it does have solid legal reasoning based on a former California proposition with which I was not familiar. In any case, I can easily see how someone could consider tiered payment schemes as nothing more than a tax. I think it is a tax and since the proposition does not permit Governor Brown's tiered system, we have a problem. After all, we do not pay on a tier system for most services we receive in the private sector. Of course with utilities, a tiered system permits the state to tax the rich to subsidize the cost of utilities for poor persons. The distinction I guess is that water is in short supply, and likely always will be in this highly populated arid environment. Therefore, there are public policy arguments that operate in favor of the tiered system that make it tolerable for me. Otherwise, I have to agree that in general, such actions are government overreach.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I read the case and it does have solid legal reasoning based on a former California proposition with which I was not familiar. In any case, I can easily see how someone could consider tiered payment schemes as nothing more than a tax. I think it is a tax and since the proposition does not permit Governor Brown's tiered system, we have a problem. After all, we do not pay on a tier system for most services we receive in the private sector. Of course with utilities, a tiered system permits the state to tax the rich to subsidize the cost of utilities for poor persons. The distinction I guess is that water is in short supply, and likely always will be in this highly populated arid environment. Therefore, there are public policy arguments that operate in favor of the tiered system that make it tolerable for me. Otherwise, I have to agree that in general, such actions are government overreach.
punish people instead of fixing the problem.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
I wonder if this will lead to getting rid of tiers in electricity. Same concept right?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
If there is no tiered system, basic rate will most likely be raised. the middle class will be hit the hardest. Golf courses with elite memberships that include judges, lawyers and politicians will benefit.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If there is no tiered system, basic rate will most likely be raised. the middle class will be hit the hardest. Golf courses with elite memberships that include judges, lawyers and politicians will benefit.
All it would mean is everyone pays the same amount per gallon.

when did making people pay the same mount for the same product become a jab at the middle class?

Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
I don't know how tiered water rate is, but I assume it's similar to the tiered electricity rate I am paying. Under this tiered electricity everyone is paying the same. Those who choose to use more than their allotted amount pay more for the extra usage.

If you choose to use more, you pay more. How is this a tax on the rich, or anyone for that matter?

If the base rate is raised, it won't affect everyone the same way.

The poor probably get subsidies.

A rate increase will take a larger percentage out of a $50K middle salary than it does a $250K salary.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I don't know how tiered water rate is, but I assume it's similar to the tiered electricity rate I am paying. Under this tiered electricity everyone is paying the same. Those who choose to use more than their allotted amount pay more for the extra usage.

If you choose to use more, you pay more. How is this a tax on the rich?

If the base rate is raised, it won't affect everyone the same way.

The poor probably get subsidies.

A rate increase will take a larger percentage out of a $50K middle salary than it does a $250K salary.
Every other product that is consumed, which water is one of them, the rich and poor pay the same amount. If you go to the gas station the price of gas doesn't change based on your income, same for the grocery store or the car lot.

Relatively speaking, water is very cheap, especially when you are not watering a lawn. Expecting people to pay for the infrastructure to treat and deliver said water is not unreasonable.

Not everything has to be a battle between the rich and the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California