Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Legolands are the OC's real estate developers' great gift to the world: Endless new planned communities! See one model, you've seen them all! Safety in homogeneity!
Since you've referred to the people of my area as "pasty" (one wonders how apt a description this is for the black, Hispanic and Asian residents here), you have already made known the real reason you dislike the area: race. Remember to refrain from showing indignation next time some poster on CityData refers to parts of, say, the San Jose area as "too brown".

Old 06-06-2015, 08:56 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,838,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Since you've referred to the people of my area as "pasty" (one wonders how apt a description this is for the black, Hispanic and Asian residents here), you have already made known the real reason you dislike the area: race. Remember to refrain from showing indignation next time some poster on CityData refers to parts of, say, the San Jose area as "too brown".
I work dead center in the SJ area that the thin-skinned describe as "too brown", and it has exponentially more soul than beige South OC ever had. Would trade a yacht and champagne for a taco truck and beer any day. Up here, we don't hide behind an Orange Curtain, shielding ourselves and our innocent little cherubs from the sinners(!) beyond the crystal cathedral walls and security gates. Sure it's safe; it's Pleasantville. Nobody shall step out of line, or face the HOA tribunal!
But are we really doing important community service by comparing Aliso friggin' Viejo with SJ, SF, Oakland, or L.A.? A friend in the Santa Cruz Mountains went to a private school, on grounds where the residents also lived. High school graduating class of 4. Guess what? That school is "safer" than the ones down in the flatlands, with more typical graduation classes covering entire football fields. So, would a prospective seeker see more value in the class of 4, with virtually no contact with others who are not just like them but incredibly safe, or the class of 400, with all risks and rewards that being around many folks who are different from oneself avails?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,137,281 times
You make a lot of assumptions about Aliso Viejo that make you look like quite uninformed. But that is understandable given your irrational hate of the perceived racial composition of the city and its schools. Surely wherever you see white people, it pains you. That's your problem and psychosis that you should work through. It is not my problem.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
In OC, we have some of the best weather in the country, some of the best beaches in the country, the most popular theme park in the world, the largest convention center on the west coast, a top NHL and MLB team, miles and miles of hiking and biking trails, awesome surf spots, easy access to Catalina island and many other great things to do. Mostly great schools and it's safe out here.
And yet you kvetch morning afternoon and night. It's not good enough for you. Amazing.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Let's do this:

Yes, the cities at the top of the list are safe/good schools/etc. But they can also be boring.

The cities at the bottom can be dangerous. But they can also be exciting or fun.

It's the cities in the middle we've got to worry about. Just exactly what are they trying to do there? Be equal parts dangerous and safe, with equal parts boredom and excitement? Would you want a friend like that? I'm looking at you Fontana, just what exactly have you become?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And yet you kvetch morning afternoon and night. It's not good enough for you. Amazing.
Just because I like OC doesn't mean I agree with or like the way CA is being run. It's the same way you can think America is the greatest country in the world but still have issues with and disagree on the way it's being run and work to try and change it.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
I'm 4th generation Oakland and host co-workers and friends from Germany and Austria.

What I find amazing is the reality does not live up to the hype.

Actually had Euro guests take martial arts classes because they were coming to Oakland... no lie.

Been asked to show the worst or most dangerous areas of my city and I tell them look around and they are disappointed... and my East Oakland is always on the list.

By the time they are ready to return home... they have an entirely different outlook on things.

Just sayin... the worst of the worst isn't always what people imagine...

What's even more comical is Oakland and San Francisco are almost even... yet SF is often the fair haired child that can do no wrong and Oakland is the whipping boy.

The bias extends to all aspects... watched media coverage the NBA finals and it seems 80% of the camera shots outside the arena are shots of San Francisco... not Oakland where the Golden State Warriors call home...

Old 06-07-2015, 07:31 AM

471 posts, read 600,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I work dead center in the SJ area that the thin-skinned describe as "too brown", and it has exponentially more soul than beige South OC ever had. Would trade a yacht and champagne for a taco truck and beer any day. Up here, we don't hide behind an Orange Curtain, shielding ourselves and our innocent little cherubs from the sinners(!) beyond the crystal cathedral walls and security gates. Sure it's safe; it's Pleasantville. Nobody shall step out of line, or face the HOA tribunal!
But are we really doing important community service by comparing Aliso friggin' Viejo with SJ, SF, Oakland, or L.A.? A friend in the Santa Cruz Mountains went to a private school, on grounds where the residents also lived. High school graduating class of 4. Guess what? That school is "safer" than the ones down in the flatlands, with more typical graduation classes covering entire football fields. So, would a prospective seeker see more value in the class of 4, with virtually no contact with others who are not just like them but incredibly safe, or the class of 400, with all risks and rewards that being around many folks who are different from oneself avails?

Your post shows you know very little about Orange County.

Actually Orange County is one of the best places on earth to live. That is why you can find a huge variety of cultures and people from all around the world here. The largest Vietnamese population, a large Chinese population, Japanese, a large and vibrant Hispanic/Latin American culture, a vibrant white American culture (that isn't a bad thing), a Middle Eastern community, etc. OC is incredibly diverse, it has amazing food, amazing things to do.

My family emigrated here and to our community because they actually knew the area and knew it would be a good fit and provided a superb standard of living. Safe communities, great schools, great sense of community, lots of things to do. Most everyone I see get along quite well and there are a variety of backgrounds, race, culture and ethnicity.

Didn't you ever wonder why the Chinese and others from around the world like my family are buying into OC so much. They want the quality of life that OC has to offer.

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 06-07-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 12:46 PM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Just because I like OC doesn't mean I agree with or like the way CA is being run. It's the same way you can think America is the greatest country in the world but still have issues with and disagree on the way it's being run and work to try and change it.
I do enjoy my life in America. Happy to be here, an American. That said, personally, I've never said America is the greatest country in the world. And, for whatever issues I find calling for attention in America and California, specifically, you've never read me droning on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on ad on and on about how it sucks and is an outrage and ruining my life and stealing my freedoms and crushing my opportunities and how if I move to any number of other wonderful states or countries things would be so much better but I can't because I've got an anchor in my diaper entrapping me to my misery right here.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:01 PM

471 posts, read 600,630 times
What's wrong with Dave and Busters? Maybe not your cup of tea, so it is for plenty of others, that's why its such a big business.

Santa Ana, no problems there, neat place, lots to see and do, but I respect that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Why can't people just be ok that people have different tastes and interests than them and it doesn't make you better just because someone doesn't agree with your particular tastes.

That's what I love about OC, there is definitely something for everyone, and its very safe as well, with a climate that's tops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California