Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite?
San Diego 62 56.88%
Orange County 41 37.61%
None 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:26 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
seems you are the craving attention? relax, have a stroll along your walkable city and enjoy its character..people in OC are busy chasing dollars
Not really and certainly not the type you OC people crave. Enjoy your pho, the one authentic thing in OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:59 PM

156 posts, read 163,497 times
[quote]I don't even think the beach is that great. They are always so crowded.

This is not really true. It only applies to a small handful of beaches in San Diego that are well-known. Mainly PB, Mission, La Jolla Shores, etc. In fact, I've been surprised how uncrowded many of the beaches I have been to in San Diego even during a major holiday. It just takes a little research, but it's actually pretty easy to find an uncrowded beach in SD.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:15 PM

156 posts, read 163,497 times
Why is it that these types of threads always turn into a cafeteria food fight? Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, both SD and OC are super nice places to live and you are lucky if you do. People complaining that SD outside of the coast is basically Phoenix or Texas is just plain wrong.

In fact, San Diego county is the most biodiverse county in the United States. It is the only county that has desert (Anza-Borrego), forests (Cleveland National Forest), mountains (Palomar), and beaches. The more places I travel in America, the more I realize how special SD county really is.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And if Orange County didn't have beaches it would just be some tacky suburban area in Dallas or something.
You don't have to go as far as Dallas to figure out what OC would be if it didn't have beaches....try the other side of the Santa Ana Mountains....

Old 10-06-2016, 05:11 PM

662 posts, read 1,282,259 times
Downtown SD comes off as a substance-less simulacrum of urbanity, designed exclusively for tourists rather than one that functions as an actual center or even as it’s own neighborhood. Almost as plastic-feeling as Main St. at Disneyland, with Yard House-caliber chain restaurants. Balboa park is nice, but there’s not much more I can say about the place. Downtown LA, with it’s problems, has infinitely more substance.

All in all, it’s not place where I’d want to stay for too long, except for a weekend getaway. But there’s no good food scene that exists down there. Even while bordering Mexico, the Mexican food is whitewashed without the diversity of cuisine you find up in east LA or even Santa Ana in OC. Their culinary claim to fame being french fries in a burrito, which I guess you have to be in SD to understand.

Last edited by dtran103; 10-06-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Wow. Some of you are taking this way too personally. I know how it goes though. I used to endlessly defend San Diego and praise it while bashing everywhere else on here a few years ago. I finally saw the light and now I can't wait to leave San Diego.

If you live/lived in one of the "cool" parts of San Diego like downtown, the urban areas around it, near the universities, or in one of the beach communities you probably do have a feeling that it is heaven on earth. If you are stuck in East County or rural North County it truly sucks a lot. You start thinking about why you aren't happy and realize that San Diego in general has many flaws. Some people don't want to awknowledge them, but they definitely exist. I don't think it is "Americas Finest City" at all. Rising cost of living, crumbling infrastructure and schools, low wages, NIMBYs everywhere, very slow paced, and a small town mentality. There are plenty of other cities in California (like LA and parts of Northern California) and in other parts of the U.S. that are more exciting, have a better job market, and more of other things than San Diego.

San Diego is simply an average American city on the same level as Phoenix, San Antonio, Tucson, and other such cities except much more expensive. Some people are okay working multiple jobs and renting for their whole lives (maybe with multiple roommates or even raising a family) to be able to live in San Diego. Others are fine living in East County even though I think it's an awful place to have to live with the many close minded people there among other things.

San Diego will never be on the same level as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, NYC, Miami, or Chicago. Possibly even Denver. Orange County does have many of the same negatives as San Diego but it is considered part of the Los Angeles area so that automatically boosts it higher in terms of jobs and wages.
That is the worst part of SD culture, having lived there while playing baseball at CC. If you don't buy into their "Finest City" myth many SD locals foam at the mouth. But that's what happens in small time places like SD.

OC is a force on it's own, and that is as a suburban collar county too. It's got the benefits of being in greater LA while having a half dozen local flairs of it's own.

Food is not close. SD is a pathetic food city. French Fries on a Burrito should be against the law.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,141 times
Orange County has mountains in it's backyard that soar 10,000 feet high. It actually snows up here unlike San Diego's ugly El Cajon mountains. They peak about 5,000 feet high and look more dry and deserty. Inland OC/Inland Empire gets really green and lush around Chino Hills, Yorba Linda, Anaheim hills area.

Furthermore, i am caught guilty of enjoying San Diego burritos.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:23 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And if Orange County didn't have beaches it would just be some tacky suburban area in Dallas or something.
It would actually be more comparable to the IE since both are just hangers-on to LA. Neither would exist without LA being there.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildingz View Post
Orange County has mountains in it's backyard that soar 10,000 feet high. It actually snows up here unlike San Diego's ugly El Cajon mountains. They peak about 5,000 feet high and look more dry and deserty. Inland OC/Inland Empire gets really green and lush around Chino Hills, Yorba Linda, Anaheim hills area.

Furthermore, i am caught guilty of enjoying San Diego burritos.
10,000 feet? The tallest point in OC is Santiago Peak at 5,689. Nice try, though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Peak

Last edited by sdurbanite; 10-06-2016 at 11:34 PM..

Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Downtown SD comes off as a substance-less simulacrum of urbanity, designed exclusively for tourists rather than one that functions as an actual center or even as it’s own neighborhood. Almost as plastic-feeling as Main St. at Disneyland, with Yard House-caliber chain restaurants. Balboa park is nice, but there’s not much more I can say about the place. Downtown LA, with it’s problems, has infinitely more substance.
35,000 people live in Downtown SD. How many people live in Downtown Disney or the Irvine Spectrum? And what's the equivalent to Balboa Park in OC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California