Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:26 PM

22 posts, read 30,445 times

Advertisements

This is my first summer in California (central coast to be exact). Temperature during the day has been over 100 and no rain the whole month of June. In Midwest when there is a hot day, usually you will see a thunder storm in the evening, but here we have only wind storm. Our new property has a few oak trees and orchard trees such as peaches, pears. I am very worried about them. I am planing to grow my veggie and flower gardens, but I am very discouraged now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
No rain in summer is pretty standard.

But no dreadful Midwestern summer humidity, either.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:13 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Where on the Central Coast has it been over 100? Is there no morning and evening fog on your part of the coast?

For your orchard trees: buy a root feeder at the garden supply store. With a root feeder on your hose, you only need to water each tree for about 5 minutes. They'll be fine.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:46 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Summer is the dry season. We don't expect any rain to speak of until about November. This is just how it always is.

If your trees are established, they don't need much water, especially the oak tree. If you just put them in at the beginning of the summer, they could be in trouble. Around here it is better to plant most things any time except summer.

And yes, your flowers and vegetables will need to be watered...all summer long. Because of the current drought, you might want to keep those plants to a minimum right now. Anyway, it's probably too hot to put any new plants in and expect them to do well. Next year, start your summer vegetables (tomatoes, zucchini, etc.) around March.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 PM

282 posts, read 618,472 times
California 101:
Dry season- May-Oct. Zero to minimal rain for months except for some coastal marine layer fog drizzle in the nighttime & mornings & every few years the rare & exceptional 1 day mid summer rain monsoon shower & also the October shower or drizzle near Halloween.

Rainy season- Nov.-April. Basically slightly cooler temperatures with intermittent rainfall ranging from heavy rain storms to light drizzles.

The further North you go the more rainy days & cooler winters, more green. The further South the less rainy days you get & winter temperatures will be much warmer.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
If you're somewhere the highs are regularly over 100 degrees, you can pretty much kiss a garden goodbye. I lived in Redding last year, and in that heat nothing grows well.

The good news is, you can grow something most of the rest of the year.

But, yes, rain is not normal in the summer in CA. And we cringe at thunderstorms because they inevitably start fires. Happened just recently up here, and the fire is still burning in OR.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 PM

22 posts, read 30,445 times
I guess I just need to get used to the climate here. The trees are all established, so I will stop watering the oak trees. As to the fruit trees, how often do they need to be watered? 5 minutes sounds doable, but how many times a week? Good advice on starting the veggies earlier. I don't know about Redding, I live in SLO's north county.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Welcome to California. No rain here.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
It never rains in southern Kommiefornia.....

Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimiface View Post
I guess I just need to get used to the climate here. The trees are all established, so I will stop watering the oak trees. As to the fruit trees, how often do they need to be watered? 5 minutes sounds doable, but how many times a week? Good advice on starting the veggies earlier. I don't know about Redding, I live in SLO's north county.
Even in a wet year the rain stops in May and doesn't start again until at least late September or early October. You will grow to appreciate a Mediterranean climate, I promise!

As far as your fruit trees, its better to deep water them about once a week. Five minutes is just teasing them. Put the hose on a slow trickle and let it sit most of the day. Oh, and welcome to California - hope you like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California