Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:09 PM

337 posts, read 405,752 times

Advertisements

Maybe the ones moving to TN are Christian Conservatives who would feel right at home in the Bible Belt. There are a bunch of those out here.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:39 PM

600 posts, read 824,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
To say one place is simply cheaper than the other is not necessarily to bestow it a significant compliment. One, on aggregate, is valued more than the other. Thus, more highly desired (and the relative tax burden is an old saw that's been hashed out in here hundreds of times, to no one state's great advantage).
k

Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching_tiger View Post
Maybe the ones moving to TN are Christian Conservatives who would feel right at home in the Bible Belt. There are a bunch of those out here.
There are plenty of people not matching that description moving to TN not to mention several other states. For example, auto industry people. A substantial number of such jobs moved East. Another area I'm seeing is logistics, and that one's obvious as to why and which employer. Finally, tech. This is especially true for contract manufacturing. The truth is, TN is now more consequential in manufacturing than CA. That exerts its own force.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 204,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Boi View Post
My first question is why the **** would you leave Cali for Tn?
Not everyone can make it here. Your money goes a whole lot further towards a nice house in a nice neighborhood in other states. Can't blame retirees or anyone else who would want to relocate to a less populated state with a lower cost of living.

Why all the California hate? Well like the great Kat Williams once said - "If you got 14 hating on you, you need to figure out how the f*ck to get to 16 before the summer get here"

Last edited by coolbeans2000; 08-05-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 06:37 PM

37 posts, read 51,018 times
Tennessee scenery is absolutely stunning, especially east TN in the Smoky's. You get all 4 seasons and the greenery is absolutely breathtaking compared to CA's dusty brown. TN also has a superb music scene with three distinct cultural histories (west: Memphis rock 'n roll, Nashville country, and Eastern TN bluegrass). I would choose TN over CA any day, and I am as liberal and as atheist as they come. Church folk in the South are varied and not to be feared or laughed at. The kind I grew up with will go to megachurches to be entertained. Then they will drink and party like hellions by the end of the week. Southern people are charming, and full of contradictions. I am definitely missing this about the south and have yet to find it in California.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
TN is more accepting than people think, yes its politically and socially conservative but I have Jews and Muslims in my family, I am white and of Middle Eastern descent with tan skin and people have welcomed me with open arms here. I love California but the cost of living is more reasonable here than CA.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM

149 posts, read 181,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorful_mess View Post
Tennessee scenery is absolutely stunning, especially east TN in the Smoky's. You get all 4 seasons and the greenery is absolutely breathtaking compared to CA's dusty brown. TN also has a superb music scene with three distinct cultural histories (west: Memphis rock 'n roll, Nashville country, and Eastern TN bluegrass). I would choose TN over CA any day, and I am as liberal and as atheist as they come. Church folk in the South are varied and not to be feared or laughed at. The kind I grew up with will go to megachurches to be entertained. Then they will drink and party like hellions by the end of the week. Southern people are charming, and full of contradictions. I am definitely missing this about the south and have yet to find it in California.
Yeah, yeah...."charming South"....except some little secrets, like the hatred towards those who're different. Been there seen that. Including 4 people being shot dead at gas station for their ethnicity, or physical attacks on ones I knew, or some things would not like to remember or describe online. The South is a dump. In many places there, if you're from 2 hours away...."you're not from here", even if you look and speak just like them. As to landscapes of "brown California": Appalachian mountains do not --remotely -- come close to Sierra and South Cascades in beauty, it's like comparing Yosemite and local county park. Also not sure since when giant Northen California green forests turned brown. Finally, hurricanes and tornados...there's a reason houses are cheap.

Last edited by opossum_; 08-05-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
Well, Tennessee is significantly cheaper than California. Tennessee is even cheap for the Midwest. I know someone who left Indiana to move to Tennessee. You are lucky that you do not have state income tax. For someone with an identical salary that's a huge pay bump just leaving CA which has very high taxes.

Then there is the obvious expensive real estate cost. In the Midwest, you can have a nice home for 200-250. In California you can expect to pay $400,000 for a old house in an average to below average location.
That only applies if you insist on living in LA/SD or the Bay Area/Monterey.

We live in a great part of CA and the average home price is $200K.

The Urban areas of CA comprise less than 3% of the state and as a whole, CA doesn't have the crap weather of the Midwest. My wife has Zero desire to return to the Midwest.

With that said you get what you pay for. I think TN is a fine state, but it so darn humid and so settled-no wild areas. No thanks. I have family there and I dread visiting May-Oct.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
People generally don't like pain or struggle. Crappy weather including snow, cold, excessive heat, humidity, tornadoes, etc... brings pain. So they move west to California. California offers many great things including some of the best weather in the nation, beautiful coastlines, incredible mountains, national parks, redwood forests, etc...

But, finding a good job can be more competitive because of its desirability. In addition, buying a house is more difficult in the most desirableness areas. So they are back to 'struggling' = no likey. Then you have 'some' ultraconservatives who simply can't stand so many liberals muckin' up the works = disdain/disgruntled. Consequently, these disenfranchised folks flee to almost every state in the nation looking for their next shangri la. "Where can I buy a nice, big, cheap house for pennies on the dollar by comparison?" This becomes their quest, with many places that match that description, including TN.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM

149 posts, read 181,960 times
If someone must have acreage and can't afford it in the West, they move to a cheap state where they can buy acres of land to finally have space, hobby farm, real garden, etc. If one spends much time on the property rather than driving to various places, this makes sense. Some people aren't bothered by hot and humid weather; I had seen people jogging every day in 100F heat and hear 100 humidity in the South and not being bothered...but this is not for everyone. Personally, would not want to own anywhere in Tornado Alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California