Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,629,029 times

Advertisements

If there is adequate water in the river, you can get into kayaking & fishing, gold prospecting, etc.

We used to camp & fish in the ol' motorhome, along the Delta/Mendota canal from Firebaugh to Tracy. There is some pretty good fishin' in parts of the CA Aqueduct & San Joaquin River, Pajaro River.

We've had some good luck striper fishing in San Luis O'Neill Forebay...
At times there are many Wind surfers there having FUn.....

You can have much fun exploring Yosemite, or volunteer there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 PM

117 posts, read 149,728 times
I thought I'd throw out my opinion since I'm living in Fresno right now and a single male, although I'm probably a bit older than the OP.

First off - enough of the ra ra sis boom bah malarkey about all the great things to do in Fresno that some of you suggested. It sounds like the kind of tripe you find in brochures that the Chamber of Commerce puts out. A lot of that type of activity is the type people will do in groups with people they know.

OP - it's hard to make suggestions for you without knowing more about you. Fresno is a real strange place and is even a harder place to live if you are a lone person who has no connections here. I myself grew up here but I've also lived in major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco so I have other places to compare it to. When I was attending FCC in my early twenties I was basically alone with only my immediate family. Most of my friends had graduated and moved on so all I had was my part-time job and my schooling. The one thing that kept me going was my dreams of moving away to some far away and exciting place. In the meantime I kept my nose clean and stuffed away as much money as I could. And this was way before we had any of the technology like we do today.

I now read a lot and draw inspiration from other people's adventures that I read about on the web. I think once you commit to a plan of action of some type of what you want to do in life it makes living where you're at a whole lot easier. Whether it's Fresno or somewhere else.

Last edited by Another Place; 11-06-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 11:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,837,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post

The one thing that kept me going was my dreams of moving away to some far away and exciting place.
Yep. Fresno: CA's answer to Kansas.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
Like all central valley cities, you will have to make do. Central Valley cities don't have a lot that jumps out at you, you have to research, find, and seek it out. And you have to make the best of it.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 PM

371 posts, read 337,697 times
Thanks all!

Hawk j: the river flows about a mile from my house under the 41...water is low but doable. I've snorkeled the river...(have passed a few kayaks) several times to fishwatch or pick up crayfish (going through riffles is cool)...itd be interesting to see if i could get from friant to where it dries up...im sure something is in the way haha...but most fellow rivergoers are just getting drunk or high on the bank. Or if in a spot where motorcraft can launch are buzzing around on jetskis. I will probably try the next few days to see if the chinook are back and spawning yet. But most folks my age in town are uninterested in the river and by nature these sort of activities are quite solo

Another Place: I see you can relate!

Im used to work providing that sort of structure and peer group-last few jobs being inenviro ed. I spent the spring working in southern caand the summer in marin...biked into sf to have fun all the time...with coworkers and alone. Always something going on. I went to swing dancin in the park, free concerts, nightlife at calacademy,, street performed(educational reptile presentations) for crowds on the wharf and a few other spots (my last time in fresno I tried this at the Tower and was dissapointed overall...what I do requires curious folk who want to learn and that seemed lacking...also the unavoidable fact that even for a special event the place is still pretty dead). I've spent more weekends than not on the road...but visiting places evenif you have friends is different from living. I went on a couple dates in sf and socal and would like to get into a relationship eventually...prolly not in fresno. I did visit arthop last time I was in town but that only happens 2x per month.

I've done and observed a few hike/bike meetups...again mostly older folk.

I do have a couple jobs that are looking promising so fingers crossed to be outta here soon.

Last edited by bornincali; 11-08-2015 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-11-2015, 10:16 PM

Landed a job in bay area and will be moving back soon! Maybe this thread will serve as help for any new locals in the meantime.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Well at least, oh Lord, you weren't stuck in Lodi again.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 AM

Haha-do tell, what is their in Lodi and how it relates to Fresno?

Old 11-16-2015, 08:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
Haha-do tell, what is their in Lodi and how it relates to Fresno?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3efB1QE24

Old 12-07-2015, 01:19 PM

For anyone who is in Fresno and interested in building things/learning a thing or two...I'd recommend checking out Fresno Ideaworks. It is a pretty loose band of volunteers but some cool things are happening in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California