Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
It took years for the bubble to pop and then roughly three years later it skyrocketed again.

If someone had bought a house in most part of SF during the peak of the bubble, that house has appreciated significantly today.

So the narrative that if the tech bubble pops it will cause a drastic depreciation that will wipe you out for the long haul is not true if you look at historical data. If the point is that you may have missed out on a future drop then yeah, good point; that's not your point is it?

It took a lot more than 3 years really.
It depends who you're talking about and their financial situation when a bubble pops. The RE bubble had absolutely no impact on our finances. My rentals were cash flowing. My house payment didn't change. I didn't lose my house, still worked full time. But I wasn't financially stretched at any time either. About the only thing that happened is my property value dropped. On paper.
Can a bubble popping have a long lasting even cataclysmic effect on smeone finances short or long haul? Sure. There are people today that are still underwater from the last RE bubble.

If the tech bubble pops lots of people are gonna lose their jobs or take a pay cut, if you're buying at a 150,000 income level and all of the sudden you go down to a 100,000 income level you're gonna suffer someone here.
The tech bubble popping will have affect on that locality. I have a few friends making 150k a year n the Bay Area. and with $3800 RENT forget buying a house , the tech bubble popping would have a huge impact on the area. The high wages is what keeps the rents and house prices high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: