Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM

19 posts, read 31,154 times

Advertisements

Hi every one. I came to the USA from Armenia 6 months ago because my family won a Green Card by the lottery. Since then I can't find a permanent job here. I live in Glendale as most of other Armenians do. I tried everything to find a job: advertisements in newspapers, craigslist, monster and other websites. I even was desperate enough to go every store in Glendale Galleria and in Americana and every restaurant on Brand Boulevard asking there if they have any openings. I filled dozens of applications, but haven’t received a single call back for an interview and the only jobs I could find here were in some crappy places where I worked more than 12 hours a day, get paid almost nothing for the work I was doing and was fired because I wasn’t such a good slave for them…

I am kind of a disappointed because this is NOT that America as I was expecting. There isn’t democracy in this country because many immigrants live here like slaves, or maybe democracy is only for Americans…

Please help me with your advices. I want to know what else I can do to get a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM

444 posts, read 665,100 times
Just keep trying. It's a very competitive job market out there right now. You live in a very diverse area, just look at all the people around you.. Chances are many of them experienced what you are right experiencing now. Don't give up! The American Dream is alive and well. Be patient and work hard when you find it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM

554 posts, read 608,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest555 View Post
Hi every one. I came to the USA from Armenia 6 months ago because my family won a Green Card by the lottery. Since then I can't find a permanent job here. I live in Glendale as most of other Armenians do. I tried everything to find a job: advertisements in newspapers, craigslist, monster and other websites. I even was desperate enough to go every store in Glendale Galleria and in Americana and every restaurant on Brand Boulevard asking there if they have any openings. I filled dozens of applications, but haven’t received a single call back for an interview and the only jobs I could find here were in some crappy places where I worked more than 12 hours a day, get paid almost nothing for the work I was doing and was fired because I wasn’t such a good slave for them…

I am kind of a disappointed because this is NOT that America as I was expecting. There isn’t democracy in this country because many immigrants live here like slaves, or maybe democracy is only for Americans…

Please help me with your advices. I want to know what else I can do to get a job
Let me understand what you're saying.

You, who are here by the good graces of the United States, can't find a job, therefore you conclude that there is no democracy in America.

Wait ! You found some jobs in some "crappy places" but got fired because you weren't a "good slave". Well that's so understandable. You can't be expected to work for minimum wage like so many millions of Americans do, because you're Armenian, for god's sake. You're just better than that.

Seriously, you're a gigantic ingrate. There are people in this country, citizens, who have graduate degrees and years of experience, and they can't find jobs either. I suppose you're equally well-educated. What's your PhD in ? Do you have any idea what's been happening in this country for the last 4-5 years ???

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: OK, you made your point

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM

134 posts, read 276,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post

You, who are here by the good graces of the United States, can't find a job, therefore you conclude that there is no democracy in America.

Wait ! You found some jobs in some "crappy places" but got fired because you weren't a "good slave". Well that's so understandable. You can't be expected to work for minimum wage like so many millions of Americans do, because you're Armenian, for god's sake. You're just better than that.

Seriously, you're a gigantic ingrate. There are people in this country, citizens, who have graduate degrees and years of experience, and they can't find jobs either. I suppose you're equally well-educated. What's your PhD in ? Do you have any idea what's been happening in this country for the last 4-5 years ???

MOD CUT

Have to agree. Man up. Swallow your pride and get any crappy job you can get. No need freeloading off of taxpayers like millions of lazy Americans already do.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-26-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
How do you find a job? You look for one....

Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest555 View Post

Do you have more than a highschool education?

What skills do you have?

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Plenty of jobs in the fields, Pay is pretty good, same levels as Paramedics and Federal Wildland Firefighters, and there is an extreme shortage of workers, thanks to that darned Obama closing the borders.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
How hard did you look?

Here's 72 jobs that mention "Armenian" on today's Los Angeles Craigslist.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sea...query=armenian

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM

19 posts, read 31,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post

MOD CUT
I don't understand why I should be grateful. I really work hard when I have opportunity of it. sometimes I work so hard that even I can't sleep at night of tiredness. My father has a master's degree, but he used to work as a butcher here until he fell ill for 4 days. He was fired because he couldn't go to work for 4 days. I don't think that I am better than the others I just want to get a normal job. Is it bad to look for the way to improve your live?

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-26-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
You expected streets paved with gold during the worst economy since the Great Depression?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California