Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 05:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I'll tell you what you're not thinking about: the total number of people will be employed whether at a Jack-in-the-Box or at Sophie's Sophisticated Burgers. Jack's isn't going to shut down, but even if they did and Sophie's opened, the number of employed in the business will remain the same. Less from one background would mean more from another. That's called: "six of one and a half dozen of another". Get it now?
My point was that Sophie's is more likely to hire more of the college student types or even college grads .
Sophie's likely won't hire the single mom that has an accent . The person that these min wage hikes are supposed to benefit
We also don't even know if Sophie's will want to operate in LA , they might decide to move somewhere else where there are customers that can afford their food but can also pay much lower wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
From $10 to $15 in 4 years is much much higher than inflation
Yes and glad you noticed that, jm. Do you now understand why they are raising it? With so many trying to live on minimum wage, it must be higher. Inflation will soon eat it up but in the meantime .....

It's a vicious cycle.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes and glad you noticed that, jm. Do you now understand why they are raising it? With so many trying to live on minimum wage, it must be higher. Inflation will soon eat it up but in the meantime .....

It's a vicious cycle.
i get people are struggling , but forcing businesses to pay more when many won't be able to afford it is a risky experiment . I guess we will see how it turns out .
Would you open a business in LA today and invest a bunch of money if you knew you would be paying $15 an hour per employee when you could open somewhere else and pay less?

Just because you are operating in LA doesn't mean you are making more money to make up for that increase in labor cost .

Lots of businesses are losing money now at the current wages or making a very small profit of like 15 percent
You think that sticking them with a big increase in labor is going to go over well ?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
i get people are struggling , but forcing businesses to pay more when many won't be able to afford it is a risky experiment . I guess we will see how it turns out .
Would you open a business in LA today and invest a bunch of money if you knew you would be paying $15 an hour per employee when you could open somewhere else and pay less?

Just because you are operating in LA doesn't mean you are making more money to make up for that increase in labor cost .

Lots of businesses are losing money now at the current wages or making a very small profit of like 15 percent
You think that sticking them with a big increase in labor is going to go over well ?
I'm not worried about places like Sophie's or Jack in the Box going out of business. Quite the opposite. The sooner those fast food places close down and establishments that offer fresh and wholesome food pop up, the better. Better yet, level the building and start up a local farmer's market. Now THAT's good for business.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about places like Sophie's or Jack in the Box going out of business. Quite the opposite. The sooner those fast food places close down and establishments that offer fresh and wholesome food pop up, the better. Better yet, level the building and start up a local farmer's market. Now THAT's good for business.
Dream on.

I agree, BUT it won't happen. Move to France if you want that AND non GMO foods as well.

In some ways the US is sooo far behind.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Dream on.

I agree, BUT it won't happen. Move to France if you want that AND non GMO foods as well.

In some ways the US is sooo far behind.
Oh no, I don't have to move to France. It's happening up my way, expat. That's only one of the best things about northern CA. Some of the best farmer's markets around.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:35 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
I'm not worried about places like Sophie's or Jack in the Box going out of business.

Of course not.

Quote:
Quite the opposite. The sooner those fast food places close down and establishments that offer fresh and wholesome food pop up, the better. Better yet, level the building and start up a local farmer's market.

Better that the vision of the HereOnMars food police come to fruition by any means necessary, than letting people vote with their dollars in a freer marketplace with less government intervention. I get it.

-- The food choices that some make aren't optimal, but they are making those choices and the cost of that choice shouldn't go up just because activists and government do gooders want to pat themselves on the back.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-01-2016 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Added --

Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I don't have to move to France. It's happening up my way, expat. That's only one of the best things about northern CA. Some of the best farmer's markets around.
Non GMO??

Now that would be very good.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Non GMO??

Now that would be very good.
It is. Kind of off topic but I'll share. There's one grower out of Tracy that has THE best summer melons. Their watermelons taste exactly like the ones we had 40 years ago. When you taste one of those, you would never buy another from a regular grocery store.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
It is. Kind of off topic but I'll share. There's one grower out of Tracy that has THE best summer melons. Their watermelons taste exactly like the ones we had 40 years ago. When you taste one of those, you would never buy another from a regular grocery store.
I am officially jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California