Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 PM

214 posts, read 214,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is for salary type income. The rich have their major assets in tax free bonds and such, not just in taxable income sources.
That poster also doesn't even understand what a marginal tax rate means. And on top of that for some reason he is included estate tax as well. The analysis makes absolutely no sense at all. Anyone that is getting hit with an estate tax i.e. 2 parent house hold worth > 10 M is going to be doing serious estate planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 12:42 PM

661 posts, read 691,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
those with school kids should have property tax credit to the extent of the tuition they pay if they send their kids to private schools

that way you don't have to "subsidized" the children of others..you still pay your prop tax to be spent on salaries of county employees

just my proposal
No, that's literally through my tax dollars giving you a subsidy to send your kids to a non public school. Voucher or tax credit you are getting a monetary benefit. Would you like to pay for private fire and police and get a tax credit for the amount you spend? That way you don't have to give a dime to those damn government employees and their crazy pensions.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:20 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
As far as the state of public schooling, I agree it's an absolute shame that we're damning poor kids to sub par schools while those fortunate enough to afford a nice neighborhood get better schooling for their children. However I don't want to see my tax dollars go to a voucher so parents can subsidize sending junior off to some super religious teach nothing charter or home school program.[/quote]

Some should start a thread about how wasteful the LASD with it's school b'fast/lunch programs. Spending millions annualy on food the kids will not eat.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
No, that's literally through my tax dollars giving you a subsidy to send your kids to a non public school. Voucher or tax credit you are getting a monetary benefit. Would you like to pay for private fire and police and get a tax credit for the amount you spend? That way you don't have to give a dime to those damn government employees and their crazy pensions.
there are services that only govt could give like police and fire. others like education and hospitals, these services could be better serve by the private sector. we have choices for hospitals and doctors, why not schooling?

if you are allowed to choose where to send your children, of course, the school district would have less pupils to teach so it doesn't justify their budget or take on property tax

Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
That is for salary type income. The rich have their major assets in tax free bonds and such, not just in taxable income sources.
Those tax free bonds are tax free so that municipalities and districts can more easily invest in public infrastructure.

It is hypocritical of progressives to entice investment in public infrastructure and then condemn those who do the investing.

At any rate, too much preference income (tax-free munis) and then you end up in AMT hell.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
That poster also doesn't even understand what a marginal tax rate means. And on top of that for some reason he is included estate tax as well. The analysis makes absolutely no sense at all. Anyone that is getting hit with an estate tax i.e. 2 parent house hold worth > 10 M is going to be doing serious estate planning.
Yes, you do estate planning, but at the end of the day there is still an immoral death tax.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
As far as the state of public schooling, I agree it's an absolute shame that we're damning poor kids to sub par schools while those fortunate enough to afford a nice neighborhood get better schooling for their children. However I don't want to see my tax dollars go to a voucher so parents can subsidize sending junior off to some super religious teach nothing charter or home school program.
Some should start a thread about how wasteful the LASD with it's school b'fast/lunch programs. Spending millions annualy on food the kids will not eat.[/quote]

I know a guy who works for LAUSD. He throws away hundreds of dollars worth of good food daily the kids don't eat.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,071,793 times
Well, vouchers shouldn't go to the Christian equivalent of madrasas. It would have to be secular schools. And you definitely wouldn't use vouchers to fund home schooling.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Well, vouchers shouldn't go to the Christian equivalent of madrasas. It would have to be secular schools. And you definitely wouldn't use vouchers to fund home schooling.
Strange, as both produce children with better educations.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Strange, as both produce children with better educations.
It isn't about a quality education. It is about funneling money to benefit selected groups; in re to education it is the teachers union. Education is also used as a tool by democrats to get people to vote for higher taxes that then get funneled to the general slush fund. Every few years a new tax is proposed that is supposed to fix education because of spending cuts, while education spending is at an all time high and we have more administrators than we have teachers.

When ever something becomes a threat to this system, like school vouchers and charter schools (which benefit minorities the most btw) the teachers union and their bought and paid for democrat politicians do whatever they can to stop it because it threatens the status quo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: