Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:05 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Has it dawned on you, some people leave, not because they can't afford to live there, but because they want to live with truly friendly people, people who value something other than money and who prefer to be around those who are not don't put themselves above others.
Some call it white flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 02:34 PM

1,230 posts, read 993,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
You people are all talking about a mythical California that never existed even in the 60's. It's pretty much Iowa or Kansas with a better climate and some palm trees.
San Francisco bay area had very large hippie population.

Now today San Francisco bay area has hipsters, arts people, IT nerds.

Back than people did not mess with hard drugs like today in San Francisco and Los Angeles like meth ,crack and heroin that so wide spread today.

San Francisco and Los Angeles have lot of homeless, drug use and street people it just they not hippies or walking around in dreadlocks or long hair.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I used to think that Ca was the absolute best. But not any longer. Many states aren't jealous of Ca, they actually laugh at it. They hope none of it transfers to their state. Why do you think so many states like Wa, Or, Id, etc treat transplants from Ca so rudely? It's because many Californians move there and try to change it into Ca.
It has a great economy, but it's politics and how it treats businesses has it slipping. Ca has talent and skills, but more than it's share of homeless and poor people.
I lived in Ca all my life and moved to Atlanta last year. Except for the weather I don't miss it. I do however enjoy taking the savings I have in housing and using it to travel. $20K a year savings allows you to visit a lot of places in this world.
I used to brag Ca was the film industry with Hollywood being there. But Politicians treated Hollywood like it was their personal ATM. Notice now a lot of movies and TV are in other states and Countries. I was surprised how much was done in Ga. In 2015 out of 109 feature films, and 12 of these were filmed in Georgia. California came out on top with 19 productions, followed by the U.K. (15 productions), Georgia and Louisiana (12 productions) and Canada (11 productions).
I used to think and rightfully so that nearly 100% was done in Ca. But that was many years ago.
in 2015 California did not host any of the top 25 live-action films at the worldwide box office .
In 2015 Ga hosted 248 film and tv projects. That's a lot.
If you want to make fun of the poor red states who you think pollute their own states, don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. Just look at the Salton Sea and how it was destroyed because of the water diversion.
What does this have to do with thread? The thread was not about crime, traffic or climate or xx or yy of why people moved or complaining xx or yy.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
look at the voting trend in the past 30 years in California, that will give you the answer. Yes, there are many great family regions in the state but there are a lot of druggies, lots of liberal communities and lots of homeless people. Just visit San Francisco near the water or the downtown area, visit parts of Los Angles and open your eyes. You will be shocked.
I'm not disputing the fact there are lots of homeless people, drug users, drug use even people smoking meth or shooting up heroin like in San Francisco in public.

Yes there are lots of street people and homeless in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

It just I never seen anyone in San Francisco or Los Angeles in long hair or dreadlocks like I seen in San Diego. That why ask why is San Diego so different.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post

It just I never seen anyone in San Francisco or Los Angeles in long hair or dreadlocks like I seen in San Diego. That why ask why is San Diego so different.
You can see a little of that in Berkeley/Oakland. Also, Santa Cruz is a breath of fresh air, in that it seems to be a buzz-cut-free zone, lol! The college students and recent grads around town keep their hair, and some wear it long. Some of those people seem to have migrated to Taos, NM, too, and some are up in Shasta, and around Humboldt. They've moved to more affordable but artsy, creative areas.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with thread? The thread was not about crime, traffic or climate or xx or yy of why people moved or complaining xx or yy.
Yeah, I see your point. I guess I got side tracked on post 2 and everyone else started talking about that subject too.
Although I see you got a bit sidetracked talking about homeless and meth users

Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I'm not disputing the fact there are lots of homeless people, drug users, drug use even people smoking meth or shooting up heroin like in San Francisco in public.

Yes there are lots of street people and homeless in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Several reasons including the Hispanic population, the separation from the North due to camp Pendelton, the many military bases, a more laid back beach type atmosphere, less issues about how much money you have and a lot of open land still around it compared to OC and LA. Can't speak for the Bay area, etc, but I was born and raised in SoCal and SD is different than the balance of SoCal.

Funny when I was growing up OC was a "rural" county with a lot of farms and orange groves, Not any more.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Those 60's drug addicted hippies pot heads are now todays California politicians. Thats why Calif. is so screwed.
I think your characterization sort of explains many of your posts. Drug addicted hippies? My my.

Perhaps you thought the movie "Reefer Madness" was a documentary.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:22 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I think your characterization sort of explains many of your posts. Drug addicted hippies? My my.

Perhaps you thought the movie "Reefer Madness" was a documentary.
lol! It never ceases to amaze me how many people confuse TV and film for reality. OTOH, when you hear things like one of those former radicals like Abbie Hoffman becoming stockbrokers, there could be a grain of truth in our resident crank's view. Though I don't think anyone who was drug-addicted would be capable of putting together a solid, high-profile career.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times
Well, all debates aside, where I live in Sonoma County, there are plenty of boomer (my tribe) former hippie types who still aspire to some of the core values of that time. They continue to support any and all measures to protect our natural resources, maintain strong ties to progressive politics, incorporate a holistic lifestyle which includes natural medicine and mind/body spiritual practices. There's a fair amount of weed around but, contrary to what the media would have you believe, the movement has never been saturated with hard core drug users. It was (and still is) an idealistic, free-thinking culture inspired by a sincere belief that we could change the world for the better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California