Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I've noticed that places that normally get below 20 inches/per year tend to be sensitive to rain(which is 2/3 of California and 97% of the population). And that sensitivity increases for every inch below 20 and that sensitivity is "exponential" for places that average below 15 inches, 10 inches and so on.

Because we get most of our rain in a 4-6 month period and we are absent of rain for more than half the year plays into our sensitivity to rain.
No way 97% of CA get less than 20 in. of rain. That may have been true during the drought but the coast at least to Monterey and Sierra Foothills, much of the Sierras themselves and the northern parts of the valley already make up at least 40% of the land. There are even wet spots in dry areas like Palomar Mountain in San Diego County that average 40 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No way 97% of CA get less than 20 in. of rain. That may have been true during the drought but the coast at least to Monterey and Sierra Foothills, much of the Sierras themselves and the northern parts of the valley already make up at least 40% of the land. There are even wet spots in dry areas like Palomar Mountain in San Diego County that average 40 inches.
I meant 97% of the POPULATION, not by land, gets less than 20 inches.

And of course that was a rough guess. So where do they average over 20 inches: the Sierras, Sierra foothills, parts of the Central Coast, the North Coast, Northern Sacramento Valley, the Cascades.....that's no more than 10% of the POPULATION.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I meant 97% of the POPULATION, not by land, gets less than 20 inches.

And of course that was a rough guess. So where do they average over 20 inches: the Sierras, Sierra foothills, parts of the Central Coast, the North Coast, Northern Sacramento Valley, the Cascades.....that's no more than 10% of the POPULATION.
I tried so hard to figure a way out for you to be wrong but I can't. The only large cities I can think of that get more than 20 inches of rain a year are San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley, where I've spent half my life. Redding too I guess. Even nearby San Jose only gets about 13 inches so you're right and I stand corrected

Old 04-16-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I tried so hard to figure a way out for you to be wrong but I can't. The only large cities I can think of that get more than 20 inches of rain a year are San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley, where I've spent half my life. Redding too I guess. Even nearby San Jose only gets about 13 inches so you're right and I stand corrected

I'm interested in California weather, particularly to dispel mis-information about certain cities, and regions. I'm interested in precipitation and micro-climates and how various cities/regions differ from each other, both subtle differences and large differences. Like how Bay Area cities including Sacramento have very cool summer evenings, nights, and mornings. Like how Long Beach and Santa Barbara tend to get the most rain in SoCal while San Diego tends to always be the driest. Like where in the North Coast receives the most sun, and the least rain, and so and so.

I'm looking for percent of normal(snowpack) for the Cascades: Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen.

The Sacramento River is the only large River in California that captures both the Cascades and the Sierra's, so I'm looking for percent of normal(snowpack) for the Cascades: Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen.

The upper Sacramento River's source is Mt. Shasta(Cascades) and is joined by the Northern and Central Sierra's main river sources: The Feather River, The Yuba, The American which all feed into the Sacramento River. All these rivers are looking very healthy and full!

Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I'm interested in California weather, particularly to dispel mis-information about certain cities, and regions. I'm interested in precipitation and micro-climates and how various cities/regions differ from each other, both subtle differences and large differences. Like how Bay Area cities including Sacramento have very cool summer evenings, nights, and mornings. Like how Long Beach and Santa Barbara tend to get the most rain in SoCal while San Diego tends to always be the driest. Like where in the North Coast receives the most sun, and the least rain, and so and so.

I'm looking for percent of normal(snowpack) for the Cascades: Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen.

The Sacramento River is the only large River in California that captures both the Cascades and the Sierra's, so I'm looking for percent of normal(snowpack) for the Cascades: Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen.

The upper Sacramento River's source is Mt. Shasta(Cascades) and is joined by the Northern and Central Sierra's main river sources: The Feather River, The Yuba, The American which all feed into the Sacramento River. All these rivers are looking very healthy and full!
Microclimates, that phenomenon that bewilders newcomers from the Midwest and east coast. Boulder Creek is about 30 miles or so from San Jose which gets 13 inches of rain a year but BC gets between 40 and 50 inches.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:40 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm interested to see how it will compare a year from now. And how long the snow lasts this year.
They're predicting El Nino to develop this year, only without the major warm blob that we had two years ago, to counteract it. Still very early, but it could be even wetter next year, if it actually comes to fruition.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Microclimates, that phenomenon that bewilders newcomers from the Midwest and east coast. Boulder Creek is about 30 miles or so from San Jose which gets 13 inches of rain a year but BC gets between 40 and 50 inches.
Had to chuckle at this. Most people consider Missouri to be in the Midwest yet in fact, only roughly the upper half is. The rest makes up 2/3 of the Ozarks which is/are full of microclimates. We live down in a holler on the shore of a large lake. It can be pouring down rain here and dry as a bone starting up the ridge a mile away, and visa-versa. Same with snow. Keeps ya guessing. This morning we received .95 inches of rain in an hour (great thunderstorm) yet the ridgeline was dry.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:17 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
We had about 200% of normal this year in my town. It was a welcome relief for most, but I liked it when my yard was too dry to sprout anything. Now I have to fight back the weeds and grass.

Still, it was nice to have an actual rainy season. No more 90 degree days in January this year.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the Santa Cruz Mountains suck the moisture out, and get pounded by rain, leaving the Santa Clara Valley (San Jose) in a rain shadow...although it is still greener than most of SoCal.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Large Cities: most to least rainfall to date

1. Sacramento 32.98 - NorCal

2. San Francisco 31.55 - NorCal
3. Oakland 27.85 - NorCal

4. Long Beach 19.58 - SoCal
5. Los Angeles 18.67- SoCal
6. San Jose 17.88 - NorCal

7. Fresno 16.74 - Central Cal

8. Riverside 13.19 - SoCal
9. San Diego 11.70 - SoCal

10. Bakersfield 7.43 - SoCal
Where does one find rainfall to date information? Every weather site just shows current and future conditions - can't seem to find one that lists the total rainfall total to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California