Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

I am an inexperienced 23 year old who has only graduated high school.
Yet I am able bodied and I am tired of having slacked these past 6 years since graduation.
I am asking in this forum because I live in North Texas (Dallas) and know that work is in demand and there are tons of jobs out there in this country, yet I don't know where in this particular state(California). I just wanted to ask for suggestions on where to start looking. Construction, oil industry, or whatnot. I am very willing to get out there and have my own life already.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
What do you do right now? Have you thought about joining military? You learn some skills while you in, and then get paid for college.

What jobs are you doing right now in Dallas? Dallas is much cheaper than big cities of California.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeadventurer View Post
Yet I am able bodied and I am tired of having slacked these past 6 years since graduation.
I am asking in this forum because I live in North Texas (Dallas) and know that work is in demand and there are tons of jobs out there in this country, yet I don't know where in this particular state(California). I just wanted to ask for suggestions on where to start looking. Construction, oil industry, or whatnot. I am very willing to get out there and have my own life already.
Thanks in advance.
Most jobs in demand are either entry level service jobs and would not allow you to do much more than rent a bedroom in someone else' house or require a degree or a lot of experience in a skill related job.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Go into the military to get some training and use the GIbill for school. When you get out go to school.
If you aren't in the military thing go to a trade union electrical, plumbing, HVAC, elevator, framing.... lot of trade guy are pulling 80k a year when they journey out

Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
That window of youth is so great to have, but it will close soon enough. Use it wisely. Make it count.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:50 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
To get out of Texas (or simply out of your parent's house), you need a plan and then you need to put the plan into action.

The first step of any plan for moving out is putting together enough savings to pay for things like a security deposit on a place to live, transportation, and your initial living expenses.

To put together the cash to finance your escape, you need to find a job. It is always easiest to find jobs in the place where you already live. So, start pushing yourself hard to find an entry level job where you currently live so you can save up some cash to move and get some work experience under your belt. Living at home, you can probably save up quite a bit in a short period of time, even if you're working a minimum wage job.

Most community colleges offer classes to help students learn how to apply for jobs. All community colleges also offer classes that can help you build job skills. The counselors at most community colleges can help you figure out which programs might work best for you. To find the nearest community college, go to this site: http://www.tacc.org/pages/texas-colleges

Electrician4you's suggestion of union trade apprenticeships is also good. You can find out about apprenticeship programs in Texas at this site: http://www.twc.state.tx.us/jobseeker...am-job-seekers

The military is another good option. You'll not only get excellent training, but also educational benefits. And, most likely, it will get you away from Texas (and maybe you'll even be trained and/or based in California). To find out about military options, go to this site: http://todaysmilitary.com/

If you don't like the idea of the military, look into the Federal Jobs Corp training program: Welcome to Job Corps

Following through on any of these ACTIONS will get you closer to your goal of moving out of your parents' house and starting your adult life.

Just jumping in the car and heading to California without a plan probably won't get you where you want to be. California's city streets are filled with homeless people who made that mistake. Don't let yourself become one of them.

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-21-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 01:33 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Why not go to community college in TX, for starters, to get some skills and take advantage of in-state tuition. Then after 2 years, you can decide whether you want to apply to a 4-year university. CA already has tons of unskilled labor, plus it has a high COL. Do you even have the money to move out to CA, and pay the first few months' rent on a room, while you look for a job? How would you pull that off, do you have savings, and a plan?

Old 05-21-2017, 02:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeadventurer View Post
Thanks in advance.
Why do you want to live in CA?

You're 23, you're in Dallas, that is going to be more exciting than living in places like Lancaster or Blythe, CA.

Have you ever even visited CA?

I moved to CA in 1988 and live in Southern CA, but I had visited since I was a kid and have family here. I moved out after college with money saved and found a job. As Rosie said, you must have a plan.

Visit first to see if you like it(and not just touristy areas), save money, and improve your skill set.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:07 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,703 times
Where in California can I work entry level and make enough to support myself?

Bakersfield. Cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California