Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times

Advertisements

Well, didn't I hear the governator stating that he'd pull out all stops to make sure education is fully funded and that he'd put an end to the need for layoffs statewide for educators? Any thoughts on the current budget crisis and the possible layoff of teachers?
I see packed classrooms (34 kids per class) right now. How would they reduce staff and not go over the 'legal' teacher to pupil ratio?
I just couldn't see how they could do this, even before Arnold spoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Well, didn't I hear the governator stating that he'd pull out all stops to make sure education is fully funded and that he'd put an end to the need for layoffs statewide for educators? Any thoughts on the current budget crisis and the possible layoff of teachers?
I see packed classrooms (34 kids per class) right now. How would they reduce staff and not go over the 'legal' teacher to pupil ratio?
I just couldn't see how they could do this, even before Arnold spoke.
It's pretty bad..

California budget deficit up to $16B, governor's balancing plan called 'flawed' - East Bay Business Times:

Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM

566 posts, read 1,939,175 times
I read newspapers from San Diego to San Luis Obispo. School districts everywhere are laying off teachers.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
No one has been laid off yet. They are just sending the notices which they are required to by the union.

Don't worry. Taxes will get raised and schools will not get cut. It won't happen until the last minute.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
If they were to lay off all those teachers and not re-hire them, hasn't anybody figured out that a lot will go straight to unemployment because there won't be any jobs in their profession?
Again, with classes already at the limit, there is simply no way they can let go of teachers.
Maybe districts will be forced to downsize administration, and that might not be a bad place to start.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 7,750 times
Default Help!

Well, I'm a student in California. A sophomore in high school to be exact. I'm really concerned about the education my peers and I will be getting in the years to come. My school had to let go of 16 teachers because we can't afford them. Our class sizes will be increasing dramatically because of this. They're already in the 30's and 40's, and we're not even a very populous town. Most of our teachers only have the credentials to be a substitute teacher anyway, so our educations are already threatened. Most of the money our school will have after the cuts will be going to our athletic department anyway, because they practically own the school. I'm allowed to present propositions to my Student Council on how we should handle the money situation, because our Board of Directors and Superintendent aren't doing much about the whole Athletics issue. Any suggestions or further information on what's to come??

Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAwaySunset23 View Post
Well, I'm a student in California. A sophomore in high school to be exact. I'm really concerned about the education my peers and I will be getting in the years to come. My school had to let go of 16 teachers because we can't afford them. Our class sizes will be increasing dramatically because of this. They're already in the 30's and 40's, and we're not even a very populous town. Most of our teachers only have the credentials to be a substitute teacher anyway, so our educations are already threatened. Most of the money our school will have after the cuts will be going to our athletic department anyway, because they practically own the school. I'm allowed to present propositions to my Student Council on how we should handle the money situation, because our Board of Directors and Superintendent aren't doing much about the whole Athletics issue. Any suggestions or further information on what's to come??
Suggest to the Student Council that government (aka public) education be abolished. Float the free market approach to education. Ask them if they would like property taxes to be lower. Ask them if they would prefer educators running the schools rather than politicians. Ask them why government education is costlier per pupil than private education. Busing, religion, sexual orientation issues, racial quotas, Title IX and many other problems and controversies would instantly disappear.

Also, mention that you as a free citizen (even though 16 or so years old) do not appreciate the government forcing you to go to school.

Last edited by Charles; 05-26-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
Our school district (Capistrano Unified, 12th largest in CA) is cutting over 200 teachers from the district. It is going to be traumatic if it all goes through. Also, I got a letter in the mail on Friday stating that the district was cutting its 70 something bus routes down to 16. My oldest relied on that bus route his freshman and sophomore years, good thing he can drive now. Too bad for other families though because many people live over six miles from their school due to awkward boundaries.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,750 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Suggest to the Student Council that public education be abolished. Float the free market approach to education. Ask them if they would like property taxes to be lower. Ask them if they would prefer educators running the schools rather than politicians. Ask them why public education is costlier per pupil than private education. Busing, religion, sexual orientation issues, racial quotas, Title IX and many other problems and controversies would instantly disappear.
Can our whole system really transition into private education? We need the buses. Not everyone in my town can afford a car to get to school. I live 15 miles from school, and my parents commute, so they're gone before I wake up and I make the school bus on my own. We're so close to Los Angeles all of the ex-felons and poverty stricken families[no offense intended to anyone] make their way up here somehow. To me, the whole place is corrupted. The racial, sexual, religious and whatever else tension has always existed. Our school officials have the ability to make changes, they're just too lazy or prefer not to because of all of the changes that will be coming soon. I sit in class and listen to our teachers ridicule them, yet they aren't taking any stands either. Most of the teachers think they're wasting their time being there anyway. They have no faith in the students, because none of our kids want to be there. They're there simply because they have to be, because it's the 'law'. As for the athletics, we sort of need them. Most of our teams compete in and win the State Championships. The athletes simply have good grades and keep our AYP and average GPA up because a reasonable individual GPA is required to play on the teams. Actually, our school statistics are so low, it's threatened to be taken over and completely run by the State of California.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Can our whole system really transition into private education? We need the buses. Not everyone in my town can afford a car to get to school. I live 15 miles from school, and my parents commute, so they're gone before I wake up and I make the school bus on my own. We're so close to Los Angeles all of the ex-felons and poverty stricken families[no offense intended to anyone] make their way up here somehow. To me, the whole place is corrupted. The racial, sexual, religious and whatever else tension has always existed. Our school officials have the ability to make changes, they're just too lazy or prefer not to because of all of the changes that will be coming soon. I sit in class and listen to our teachers ridicule them, yet they aren't taking any stands either. Most of the teachers think they're wasting their time being there anyway. They have no faith in the students, because none of our kids want to be there. They're there simply because they have to be, because it's the 'law'. As for the athletics, we sort of need them. Most of our teams compete in and win the State Championships. The athletes simply have good grades and keep our AYP and average GPA up because a reasonable individual GPA is required to play on the teams. Actually, our school statistics are so low, it's threatened to be taken over and completely run by the State of California.
Doesn't sound like government education is working for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California