Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 PM

36 posts, read 116,371 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Cali soon for husband's job, which is located in Santa Clara.

Can't afford a cardboard box in the Valley, so have started looking at homes around Tracy and Manteca. Long drive, but hey, that's the California way, right?

I have two kids in high school, and I am looking for safe neighborhoods, and decent schools. Also like the fact that we can probably get a CCW in San Joaquin county, something near impossible in other counties.

Any areas to avoid? List cross streets so I can see what homes are available, please. I read that Lathrop has a large gang population, so I'll stay away. Are certain high schools in Manteca better? Manteca High and Sierra better than East Union, for example?

How about downtown Tracy, and Tracy High School? Kimball High?

What about Mountain House?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 PM

478 posts, read 690,231 times
Wow, you are really ready to make that 2 to 3 hour commute EACH way?

Granted it should only be 1 to 1 and half hours when there is no traffic but you only see that in small windows or early/late weekend times. you can leave at 4AM and take a nap at your work's parking lot. But there is no avoiding the hell driving back home after work unless you wait until 7 or 8PM to start driving home.

True many do it but dang thats crazy. Because many have seemingly made it "ok" to do this from small bedroom communties it has just driven the prices up in these places.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 PM

My husband works mainly from home and can choose his hours to drive to/from the office so his drive won't be so bad.

We are well aware of the commute times. My husband is in the Valley/Bay area several times per month already.

Do you have anything useful to add to this thread about my original questions? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,639,371 times
You may have already come across this, but here's a recent discussion that will answer some of your questions:

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...e-move-my.html

You may want to post this question in the San Jose, Bay Area, and Sacramento subforums to get more replies. There are probably locals who regularly read one of those forums who might have more first hand insights on Tracy for you.

If you're hoping to avoid "Bad" areas, the site crimemapping.com is helpful in giving an idea of crime in local areas. I trust it more than opinions, since most people are convinced that their own area has little crime, even when it does. You can enter any address and see crime in the surrounding area. First, do a search for the area where you currently live so you have a baseline. And, be sure to set the time limits to the last six months; otherwise you'll just see a week's worth of crime data.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:57 AM

I hadn't seen that thread. Thank you for the link, and your reply

Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
Of the available high schools Kimball is one of the higher ranked ones with a 7 API rank.

California School Ratings, school profiles, test scores - San Joaquin County

Mountain House has a new high school opened in 2014. It seems to have a rather unusual online learning system according to the reviews.

https://www.greatschools.org/califor...chool/#Reviews

Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
Looking to move to Cali soon for husband's job, which is located in Santa Clara.

Can't afford a cardboard box in the Valley, so have started looking at homes around Tracy and Manteca. Long drive, but hey, that's the California way, right?

I have two kids in high school, and I am looking for safe neighborhoods, and decent schools. Also like the fact that we can probably get a CCW in San Joaquin county, something near impossible in other counties.

Any areas to avoid? List cross streets so I can see what homes are available, please. I read that Lathrop has a large gang population, so I'll stay away. Are certain high schools in Manteca better? Manteca High and Sierra better than East Union, for example?

What about Mountain House?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mountain House has a couple nice neighborhoods in development, of which a lot of homes are already built/occupied as well. That's not a bad area, and very safe overall. The negative, it's kind of just there if you will. A little bit of a drive to grocery stores, restaraunts, etc...but nothing too far

Old 08-08-2017, 08:14 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,730,032 times
Go down the other way towards Gilroy. More distance but lighter traffic. Get something cheap 'for now' and save up for the next step.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 PM

478 posts, read 690,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Go down the other way towards Gilroy. More distance but lighter traffic. Get something cheap 'for now' and save up for the next step.
there is nothing cheap towards gilroy. Check gilroy, and morgan hill. cost more than tracy area. It doesnt get "cheap" until hollister but thats already further distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California