Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:41 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why are there two Brandon Graves?
I'm the one with the higher amount of posts read and reps. The other one is, well, who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 12:23 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
In my opinion, here are the most unique/strangest school districts here in California:

Imperial County
San Pasqual Valley Unified School District (Palo Verde, Winterhaven)

Inyo County
Death Valley Unified School District (Furnace Creek, Shoshone, Stovepipe Wells, Timbisha Indian Village)

Riverside County
Desert Center Unified School District (Chiriaco Summit, Desert Center, Eagle Mountain, Lake Tamarisk)

Palo Verde Unified School District (Blythe, East Blythe, Mesa Verde, Ripley)

San Bernardino County
Baker Valley Unified School District (Baker, Nipton)

Needles Unified School District (Amboy, Big River, Havasu Lake, Needles, Parker Dam)

Silver Valley Unified School District (Calico, Daggett, Fort Irwin, Ludlow, Newberry Springs, Yermo)

Your thoughts on this? Let me know!...
Why are these strange or unique? Could you elaborate on your idea, rather than simply post lists?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are these strange or unique? Could you elaborate on your idea, rather than simply post lists?
I elaborated in one of my posts on the first page in reply to NoMoreSnowForMe. Check that out.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,912 times
Quote:
Exactly what I'm wondering...
You or the other Brandon?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Wait, they have kids there?
Actually Niland and Bombay Beach. NFL players Cedric Thompson recalls taking the school bus from Bombay Beach:

"The bus would pick up 10 kids in Bombay Beach and then wind through Southern California's hot, arid mountains and coves to pick up another eight kids.
"The worst part," Thompson said, "was having no A/C on the bus."

Dolphins rookie Ced Thompson has overcome, overachieved - Sun Sentinel

Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 PM

You know what I find strange about Palm Springs Unified School District and Desert Sands Unified School District? Their boundaries...

For one thing, DSUSD even covers some of Joshua Tree National Park. Who in the actual world even lives in that area?

Secondly, for whatever reason, since the boundaries of PSUSD don't seem to stretch out more west, that means parents who happen to live in nearby Whitewater, Bonnie Bell, and/or Snow Creek have to actually decide whether to send their kids to a PSUSD school, or to a school in nearby Cabazon or Banning, which are within Banning Unified School District. Either way, this means it will result in quite a bit of a drive, and will also require to get on the 10 to either direction.

Thirdly, the communities of Indio Hills and Sky Valley are quite a bit isolated (not that is a bad thing), so this, again, will require some lengthy driving. For Indio Hills, the nearest school would have to be Andrew Jackson Elementary School in Indio. In the case of Sky Valley, the nearest school would be Desert Springs Middle School in DHS, I believe.

When I was in 6th grade, I always had to deal with the lengthy bus trips from my then-house in Sky Valley all the way to DSMS and back, and vice versa. On every one of those trips, the scenery consisted of miles and miles of barren desert, mainly with creosote bush and some tamarisk trees here and there, added with bland mountain ranges. One time, I was stuck riding on the bus for about two hours, for whatever reason, and that was after school. I even dehydrated after I got off the bus and started walking towards my then-house in Sky Valley because it was so hot.

Last edited by Brandon Graves; 09-04-2017 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Yes, I'M wondering WHY exactly is there ANOTHER Brandon Graves! There's just NO reason for it!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Why are there two Brandon Graves?
Brandon is the product of a top-secret CIA cloning program. 2 so far have escaped the lab, however the program has been shut down because the first one was so strange it broke the mold.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I put down the Silver Valley Unified School District as unique or strange due to how it currently still serves Calico, a former mining town (now a ghost town) in San Bernardino County.

Desert Center Unified School District primarily because it still serves the probably-now-dead town of Eagle Mountain, and... LOTS of driving and remoteness...

Baker Valley Unified School District simply because it serves the town of Nipton (Only SIX people!). And, again, LOTS of driving and remoteness.

Needles Unified School District due to how it currently still serves Amboy (Only FOUR people, practically a ghost town!), and, *sigh*... LOTS of driving and remoteness.

Finally, the rest I have listed as unique or strange is simply due to driving LOTS and LOTS of driving through barren land to get to practically the nearest school (or anywhere else), especially with Death Valley Unified School District.

To me, the most unique California school district is Death Valley Unified School District. Just, wow...

Who said I was being judgemental? I'm only interested...
Also, the Coachella Valley Unified School District is strange due to how their boundaries spill over to Imperial County and serve several communities down there (Desert Shores, Salton Sea Beach, Salton City). Despite this school district's name, these communities mentioned are not located in the CV. Strange...

Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Or was it Brenden????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendon Graves Oh please 93 with humidity is bad yes, but it's 120 with humidity in the Coachella Valley the only way im alive is because of cold showers every hour. Wish i was joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California