Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 AM

882 posts, read 689,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Exactly right. Besides Democratic whiners/politicians such as Pelosi and Schumer, my legal colleagues who are wealthier than me are screaming.

Not even close to being exactly right. The Middle Class in those areas, the same families that are equivalent to those making $50k-$75K in many areas of the country are the ones that truly get slammed. And that's not hard to figure out for those that understand basic math (clearly not a strong point for some on this forum).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 07:20 AM

26,736 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
My comment was snark because I get tired of hearing people say "Where's mine? What about me?"
Yes, the snark was obvious. I'm not sure if you read the article in the post about how our cable bills have risen to cover these "tax cuts." The response has nothing to do with "Where's mine?"

Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, the snark was obvious. I'm not sure if you read the article in the post about how our cable bills have risen to cover these "tax cuts." The response has nothing to do with "Where's mine?"
Well then, I interpreted your response incorrectly and I apologize. And yes, I did read your articles. I'm not defending corporations. They have plenty of money and just as it was written in one of the articles,

Quote:
corporations get better and better at dodging the taxman, wages and salaries now occupy their lowest share of GDP since the second world war. Real wages have barely budged upward since 1980—and have fallen for the lowest-paid workers. Wall Street actively cheers against pay bumps: When American Airlines announced raises for pilots and flight attendants, the company’s stock fell 5 percent.
And then we're supposed to believe it when they say they will invest more into the company and their employees:

Quote:
CEOs have long said that lower taxes would lead to more spending on capital expansion, R&D, and wages. But at a conference in November, Trump’s chief economic advisor Gary Cohn asked a room full of CEOs who was planning to invest more if the tax bill passed. Almost no one raised a hand. “Why aren’t the other hands up?” Cohn asked.
The answer is easy, they lie. But the majority of us know that. So, if these if these lower level employees receive a bit of money, even if it is a PR stunt, I say good for them. Tax reform is a joke when it comes to the middle income earner. Historically, they've paid the most in taxes because they don't have all the loopholes that corporations do. If anyone can find a way to change that, I'll support them. Until then, I'll just be glad for the guy or gal who gets a few bread crumbs thrown their way. Again, sorry for offending you.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well then, I interpreted your response incorrectly and I apologize.
It's okay; thanks, HOM. You're always so polite, anyway!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:33 AM

A new tax regime is on its way. Here’s how Californians can adjust:
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...190643189.html

CHART: How The Final Version Of The Republican Tax Bill Would Affect You:
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/15/57125...uld-affect-you

Old 12-23-2017, 11:35 AM

44 posts, read 51,032 times
Californian's are really screwed. Their taxes are so high its ridiculous. I moved to Carmel Indiana 2 years ago and I easily save $15,000+ on my taxes yearly and another $10,000+ on basic cost of living expenses like housing, food, utilities etc.
So glad I moved because this tax reform will benefit me here as opposed to if I remained in California.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 AM

882 posts, read 689,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomer556 View Post
Californian's are really screwed. Their taxes are so high its ridiculous. I moved to Carmel Indiana 2 years ago and I easily save $15,000+ on my taxes yearly and another $10,000+ on basic cost of living expenses like housing, food, utilities etc.
So glad I moved because this tax reform will benefit me here as opposed to if I remained in California.
Yep, no brainer on that one. We're outta there too. My clients told me my timing couldn't have been better. I'll get my final itemized deductions this year and then start living in a lower COL. But glad to rent our house out to people that just can't bear to live outside of the Bay Area.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomer556 View Post
I live in California and the SALT limit doesn't impact me a bit, nor does it impact most of my neighbors or friends. California is a big state and home prices in many areas are quite affordable.

I'm glad you are happy in Indiana but I am skeptical that you are saving $15,000 a year on tax and $10,000 on housing, food and utilities annually, could you provide the figures you used to arrive at that?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A new tax regime is on its way. Here’s how Californians can adjust:
New tax law limits Californians' ability to prepay, other hacks | The Sacramento Bee

CHART: How The Final Version Of The Republican Tax Bill Would Affect You:
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/15/57125...uld-affect-you
There are strategies that blue states might be able to use to mitigate the damage caused by the new tax law, and if they are successful this scam of a tax plan will fail and republicans may well find themselves at that table negotiating changes to their bill

Charitable gifts One tactic: Allow residents to make charitable gifts to the state instead of paying income tax. That would involve legislators encouraging residents to donate to, say, New Jersey (insert quip here), instead of paying income taxes. The self-interested philanthropists who took up the state on the offer would receive a state income-tax credit for the full amount of their gift, which would qualify for a federal deduction.

Channeling collections into payroll taxes would also allow both itemizers and non-itemizers to benefit, and states would keep more money within their borders. States with progressive income-tax rates would need to devise a system of tax credits to make payroll taxes hit the right rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...salt-deduction

And this might be the push California voters to change prop 13 to exclude commercial property, or at least tax it at a higher rate. If that was done property tax on residential property could probably be reduced.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:32 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,487,406 times
I'm pretty sure in order to be considered charitable gifts, they'd have to be voluntary. How many people would voluntarily pay taxes, especially in the amounts the government of California (and it's localities) demand.

And S&L payroll tax deductions would also be subject to the cap.

Both of these are non-starters.

Look for a mass migration from blue states to red states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are strategies that blue states might be able to use to mitigate the damage caused by the new tax law, and if they are successful this scam of a tax plan will fail and republicans may well find themselves at that table negotiating changes to their bill

Charitable gifts One tactic: Allow residents to make charitable gifts to the state instead of paying income tax. That would involve legislators encouraging residents to donate to, say, New Jersey (insert quip here), instead of paying income taxes. The self-interested philanthropists who took up the state on the offer would receive a state income-tax credit for the full amount of their gift, which would qualify for a federal deduction.

Channeling collections into payroll taxes would also allow both itemizers and non-itemizers to benefit, and states would keep more money within their borders. States with progressive income-tax rates would need to devise a system of tax credits to make payroll taxes hit the right rates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...salt-deduction

And this might be the push California voters to change prop 13 to exclude commercial property, or at least tax it at a higher rate. If that was done property tax on residential property could probably be reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California