Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 01:09 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I do know that Red Cross is not yet activated, HUD phone lines have more than an hour wait, and same with FEMA.

We are pretty sure this is just red tape problems, as no one was prepared for this.

I get tell you this, once I get confirmation of the mortgage companies stance.... I will be posting a new thread with a tirade at what they "offer" the people who lost homes in Harvey, Irma and these fires.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm so very sorry. I was just writing that I can't imagine what it is like to have nothing. You wake up and it's all gone... pictures from childhood, memorabilia from family and those passed, the things you took so much time to pick out.... You have nothing.

I know it is "just" things and they can be replaced.... but some can't and it is what you chose to surround yourself with to make your safe nest.

I know that in this case, it was the dog who woke up my sister, they had just enough time to grab a few things.... the house was on fire before they left.
No, not everything can be replaced. The memories associated with the "things" are also gone. I lost everything in a wildfire 6 years ago. It was a culmination of a lifetime of "things" I had made by hand. Beautiful model train layouts. Needlework. Quilts. Lots and lots of hobbies, and those "things" can never be replaced.

These fires are beyond horrible. My heart breaks for every single person, and more so for those that lose pets. I lost 1 dog when it happened to me. I still have the one I was able to save. I love her more than life itself. We've been through so much together.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
No, not everything can be replaced. The memories associated with the "things" are also gone. I lost everything in a wildfire 6 years ago. It was a culmination of a lifetime of "things" I had made by hand. Beautiful model train layouts. Needlework. Quilts. Lots and lots of hobbies, and those "things" can never be replaced.

These fires are beyond horrible. My heart breaks for every single person, and more so for those that lose pets. I lost 1 dog when it happened to me. I still have the one I was able to save. I love her more than life itself. We've been through so much together.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to that everything is replaceable, my point, and probably poorly made, is that some of those things cannot be replaced. I have a list in my head of things my sister cannot replace, butter molds from her grandmother who she loved so much.... he lost the last of his deceased wife's things...

Right now my their attitude is good. We are going with yay! New boat, new camping gear (finally) and anything else that will make them laugh. I told my sister that I am being emotional on her behalf because she sure as heck doesn't have the time...

I need to get started on her insurance paperwork.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Donations ....... A lot of people outside the area are wanting to help by donating. Look in your area to see if businesses are accepting items. We have several businesses in our area who are accepting donations such as non-perishable food items, can openers, camp stoves, propane, blankets and pillows, boxes and duct tape, personal hygiene items, diapers, baby food and formula, new socks and underwear, duffel bags and suitcases, and books, toys and coloring supplies for children. Check with your area to see who is accepting.

Petaluma Community Center and volunteers there said they have enough supplies to last until Friday.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I do know that Red Cross is not yet activated, HUD phone lines have more than an hour wait, and same with FEMA.

We are pretty sure this is just red tape problems, as no one was prepared for this.

I get tell you this, once I get confirmation of the mortgage companies stance.... I will be posting a new thread with a tirade at what they "offer" the people who lost homes in Harvey, Irma and these fires.
The Oakland side of the Berkeley/Oakland neighborhood where my parents lived lost some homes in the Oakland hills fire. (Berkeley had fire engines on the Berkeley side of the city line, so those homes were spared.) Most of those homeowners fought the insurance companies, holding out for more, actually, then the home was worth. They insisted that the homes were of historical significance, as if it were historic landmarks that got burned down. So the settlement process dragged on for 2-3 years. In place of the wonderful period homes from the 30's that had been there, huge, garish, modernistic "dream homes" were built, completely out of character with the neighborhood.

I hope people are offered a reasonable price for rebuilding, and the claims are settled in a timely manner, so that lives can get back to normal.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:25 PM

So far my sister's insurance company has been VERY helpful and compassionate.

They told go and buy what you need and get yourself settled, save your receipts. They told her what to submit when she can (I am compiling renovation receipts in to a spreadsheet), told her pictures of personal belongings help and to write down everything she can think of. The are looking for house for them that allow pets, and they cutting an advance check of $25K.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
So far my sister's insurance company has been VERY helpful and compassionate.

They told go and buy what you need and get yourself settled, save your receipts. They told her what to submit when she can (I am compiling renovation receipts in to a spreadsheet), told her pictures of personal belongings help and to write down everything she can think of. The are looking for house for them that allow pets, and they cutting an advance check of $25K.
That's so great that you're helping her, too! I imagine a lot of people are a little shell-shocked. Attending to those chores, and the record-keeping required, may be beyond them at this stage. She's lucky to have you.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
These fires are devastating. I know a family who had to evacuate and they haven't heard if they have a house to go back to. That's the problem with California. Too many disasters. I'll take my chances with an occasional Hurricane.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's so great that you're helping her, too! I imagine a lot of people are a little shell-shocked. Attending to those chores, and the record-keeping required, may be beyond them at this stage. She's lucky to have you.
I adore my sister and would do anything for her. I adore her pain in the ass BF.

When my husband died in 2007, she flew to Hawaii to be with for like a month, she took care of all kinds of stuff helping with funeral.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM

This site should give you answers when looking for info on loved ones, someone said you could look up addresses, but I haven't used it:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...ewW1DH6neG1Sm0

Latest news on my sis: they may have to evacuate from the house they are staying due to fire threat. She is rushing back to get the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California