Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,865 times

Advertisements

I live in Burney. WOW! I just moved here from Southern Oregon and I love it. I love the people and the places you can explore within a few miles of town.

By the way there is a movement to change the name of the area of California that we live in to "Up State" to distinguish it from the larger NorCal region which includes the Bay Area.

The people here are small town people, usually with history of living in the metro area and wanting to leave it for whatever reason. In my experience you will find a great mix of population wherever you go, and the Up State area is no exception. Our population will go from the idiots who mess up their lives, to fine upstanding people who are fun to be around, tothose who struggle everyday to make the right life choices.

Burney, Fall River, MacArthur and Hat Creek area is some of the most diverse and beautiful natural scenery you can find on this planet. Lassen Park it amazing and the Burney Falls is... Well just google it, then search the images and you will see what I mean.

If you are looking for population centers, Redding is OK but they are struggling with a large homeless population. (like everywhere else in the US it seems).

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 PM

82 posts, read 94,768 times
Default Hospital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I have only been up in that area once and it was long ago. Yreka is the county seat and I believe the largest town/city in the county.....population is a bit under 8,000. If you lived in that area, I think you would be finding yourself occasionally driving up to Oregon to do some of your shopping. It's a 4 season climate area and you can expect some snow on the ground in winter. If you are a outdoors type person who likes to hike/camp/fish/hunt, then you might do ok there. If you find yourself missing cultural amenities often found in a more populated area, then you will likely need to drive up to Ashland now and then. If you have any chronic health/medical issues, then you need to give some thought to a such move.
Use your computer mouse, to move about the streets of Yreka in the Google St view link below

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...4d-122.6373626
Is there a hospital there or just an urgent care place or what? What should concern an older person with a cronic medical condition?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:47 AM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
For those thinking of moving to Eureka in Humboldt County ... you may want to read the following article from the news today. It seems the drug problems up that way are getting worse. Forewarned is forearmed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...ge=AAwVMWV_1|1

Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
For those thinking of moving to Eureka in Humboldt County ... you may want to read the following article from the news today. It seems the drug problems up that way are getting worse. Forewarned is forearmed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...ge=AAwVMWV_1|1
https://www.chcf.org/blog/in-humbold...ring-progress/

Old 05-17-2018, 03:01 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
That's good news. Humboldt county is a very pretty place. It would be a shame to see it denigrate into a drug haven.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Default Camp Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't know, we live in Paradise, but I have found the drug problems are somewhat exaggerated. I think there is a poster here who lives in Oroville, I hope he will check in.

So sorry about the fire and the losses.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Now in Northern CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Hello fine folks. I'm bumping this thread instead of starting a new one. Brandon, you seem quite interested in different places, so I hope you don't mind if I can get even more specific info on Redding. Not trying to hijack this thread- still want to keep it on a Northern California city.

My wife and I are looking at Redding for relocation in summer 2019. We currently live outside of Austin, TX in a city called Cedar Park. We are both longtime elementary teachers and have a 5 year old daughter. We are big outdoor enthusiasts- camping (no facilities is no sweat), hiking, overlanding, trail running, racing, cycling, lovers of everything outdoors. We also love to go to breweries after a long run and kick back and enjoy a good beer. A good local restaurant and live music is awesome as well. We are politically progressive, but own a gun (it's not a big deal in Texas- lots of liberals do). We believe in science and are atheists, but do not care if someone is religious unless they shove it in our faces. Very live and let live. Bethel and their Glory Cloud is just silly though- but to each their own I guess.

I grew up in Southern California and graduated from the University of Oregon, so I've driven through the area numerous times. I know Redding is more conservative (don't care too much since we live in Texas already), hot (we live in Austin, so we are not concerned with the heat), is far from a major city (fine by us). Redding is also a few hours away from my wife's brother who lives in San Francisco.

Here are a few of my questions:

I've read that property crime can be high. Is that in lower income areas? Our budget is around $450,000 and we would like to find a place that has a little more land. I've seen places north of Redding (Lakehead) and Palo Cedro that look like very pretty areas. Am I going to run into issues in my price range? How about my car? I have seen a lot of inexpensive cars because it seems like cheap cars isn't a felony, but what about a $30,000 - 40,000 car? We don't keep things in the car that is visible.

Violent Crime? Is most of that meth-on-meth crime? Or do random people get accosted/assaulted walking near downtown or running on the trails? We don't plan to visit the tougher parts. We'll just want to check out some downtown restaurants, local events, etc.

If you are an outdoorsy type, do you love Redding? We will be out exploring the mountains and water every weekend. That is the reason we want to move there. Again, the heat will not be a big issue. The climate is like Austin.

Is there many others in Redding that seem similar to us?

We will be coming to visit this summer. If there is anything you recommend to check out, please let me know.

***Any local teachers? How hard is it to land a job? We will have clear credentials, master's, and with strong resumes with 12+ years. However, I realize it is often who you know. Which elementary districts would you recommend?

Thanks, y'all
Just wondering if you have moved to Redding or nearby. I
We live on the coast 10 minutes north of Arcata. I'm 73 and grew up in the Bay Area and backpacked in the Sierra a lot. When I moved to Humboldt Co., I began backpacking in the Marble Mtns, the Trinity Alps, and the Russian Wilderness. Now I can't do that but can love the beauty in the area. I have friends in Redding. Too hot for me. I doubt there are many job openings in extreme northern CA. Did you find teaching jobs?

BTW, I'm an atheist too and am writing a book, a criticism of Christian fundamentalism.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Problems in Emerald Triangle...Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties.

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry...gle-california

https://www.marijuana.com/community/...eeting.310627/

Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Problems in Emerald Triangle...Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties.

https://www.leafly.com/news/industry...gle-california

https://www.marijuana.com/community/...eeting.310627/
We've known for a very long time that legalization would result in price collapse and a transitional period of uncertainty and disruption before things stabilized.

There are a good amount of high quality dispensaries in the area with good product, farmers are navigating the regulations and some are opening their farms for tours and things, the empty K-Mart has been purchased and is being turned into a large production facility, etc.

We'll be just fine, thanks.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:59 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
My fiance wants to move to NorCal. We're still researching towns there, which is how I found this thread. We were considering the inland empire but I'm not fond of extreme heat, scorpions, and tarantulas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California