Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio today that in 2017 Ca grew by 300,000 people 220,000 were births. There is close to 40 million people living in Ca a quarter of that in LA. The population of Ca is larger then the entire population of Canada.... it didn't say how many left Ca but said it was less then last year. To me there's just too many people here it's getting scary but what can you do???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:21 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Despite California's population approaching 40 Million,this state is not overcrowded for it's size....Some Countries in Asia or Europe is what I would consider overcrowded or overpopulated.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:16 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
California's population grew by less than 1% this year.

That's hardly "scary."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/...rs-40-million/

Merry Christmas, Finper!

Last edited by RosieSD; 12-24-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

That's hardly "scary."

Merry Christmas, Finper!
We have more people here then the entire population of Canada with a one party liberal rule that's ignoring our infrastructure..... that's scary to me.

Merry Christmas to you Rosie

Old 12-24-2017, 01:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I heard on the radio today that in 2017 Ca grew by 300,000 people 220,000 were births. There is close to 40 million people living in Ca a quarter of that in LA. The population of Ca is larger then the entire population of Canada.... it didn't say how many left Ca but said it was less then last year. To me there's just too many people here it's getting scary but what can you do???
While we do not have this years figuires last years are interesting

"For every home buyer coming into the state, there are three Californians selling and moving elsewhere, according to data analysis firm CoreLogic.

Despite strong job and wage growth, the Golden State has been losing residents for years and could be facing a shortage of middle-wage workers, according to a report from Beacon Economics released in March.

Why a lot of people are moving out of California - Nov. 4, 2016

"the latest U.S. Census Bureau estimates show that domestic migrants continue to leave the state more rapidly than they enter it."

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...d-intensifies/

Now is it a large portion, no. But it is continuing. Do other States shave people move out, yes. However some like TX and FL, while have people move out have more move in, just the opposite of CA.

"Think everyone's moving to Texas? You're right. A new report from the Texas Association of Realtors says that the Lone Star State ranked second in the nation for relocation activity in 2015, behind only Florida.

Texas experienced a net gain of 107,689 out-of-state residents in 2015, a 4 percent increase from 2014, says the report."

A crazy number of people are moving to Texas says new report - CultureMap Austin

Why are more people leaving a desirable State like CA, and not simply the poor or they would not be buying homes, for other States with less desirable weather, etc?

Yes CA is popular for a reason, but it is becoming less so for middle class people in and out of the State.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:53 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
While we do not have this years figuires last years are interesting

"For every home buyer coming into the state, there are three Californians selling and moving elsewhere, according to data analysis firm CoreLogic.

Now is it a large portion, no. But it is continuing. Do other States shave people move out, yes. However some like TX and FL, while have people move out have more move in, just the opposite of CA.

Why are more people leaving a desirable State like CA, and not simply the poor or they would not be buying homes, for other States with less desirable weather, etc?
Three things:
1. If people were moving out 3 to 1, as quoted ... there wouldn't be a housing shortage/crisis ... which there is.
2. The census verifies the state population is growing

3. Why, on earth, is it a problem if tons of people move out of the state? Why would anyone want more crowding and stress on infrastructure? Please, more people move out ... ASAP ...

Rhetorical ...

Old 12-24-2017, 04:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Three things:
1. If people were moving out 3 to 1, as quoted ... there wouldn't be a housing shortage/crisis ... which there is.
*home buyers.

For that matter, most people moving to CA that would be buying homes would already have an attained level of wealth IMO.

And one could probably infer that most people moving to CA are not of the wealthy type.

And of course, people are still having kids.

Old 12-24-2017, 05:27 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
*home buyers.

For that matter, most people moving to CA that would be buying homes would already have an attained level of wealth IMO.

And one could probably infer that most people moving to CA are not of the wealthy type.

And of course, people are still having kids.
Not getting your meaning here, I guess ... maybe rephrase for me?

If "three Californians are selling and moving elsewhere” for every one "home buyer coming in to the state" - we would have a huge and rapidly growing inventory of unsold homes on the market ... driving prices down. This is not happening.

As for who is moving in and who out demographically, it's been well documented that the poor are the ones leaving (understandably).

And, yes, people are still having kids. Plus foreigners are a substantial part of the newcomers. What I am asking about that is: so what? The state population continues to grow, unfortunately. And housing continues to be tight and financially burdensome for all but the wealthy.

Considering all: why the hell do people on this forum set their hair on fire over the idea that Texas is gaining population faster? Thank god for Texas. Who wants all those people making things worse here?

Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

That's hardly "scary."

Merry Christmas, Finper!
I'm actually surprised at the low number of people moving into Ca (legal anyway). I guess word has gotten out how hard it is it live comfortably here

Old 12-24-2017, 07:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I'm actually surprised at the low number of people moving into Ca (legal anyway). I guess word has gotten out how hard it is it live comfortably here
Yes and a lot of their homes are bought by investors who then rent them out, keeping prices high. Then foreign buyers and people who do make enough that already live in CA to buy a home, the existing stock keeps going up in price. It is happening and the prices will not go down short of a major economic disaster. I do expect them to level a bit and maybe fluctuate about 5% then, but they do that even now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California