Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:38 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone here lives in another state or country for part of the year and why? Or are you planning to do so? I've actually toyed with the idea of living abroad during retirement or in another state for part of the time.

For example, we love to visit the PNW during the nicer parts of the year - Summer and Spring primarily. Though I don't think I'd want to live there year round due to all the wet weather and snow depending on location. CA is a great place to live for moderate climate and if you have family here, its nice to see them for at least part of the year as well.

In addition, there are more affordable parts of CA which are really nice during the Winter but get too hot during the Summer months. So living somewhere else part of the year could actually work out well. You could essentially enjoy the best climates of both locations depending on preferences. Summer in the mountains and Winter inland somewhere hot normally, for example.

Of course, this could also work for other states as well like the AZ in the Winter and the PNW in the Summer. Or other affordable countries like Costa Rica and Portugal for part of the year. That could be fun.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,588 times
Wikipedia claims the Coachella Valley population goes from 400,000 to 500,000 full time residents down to 200,000 during July. Sounds like an exaggeration to me however.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
My game plan is a cabin in either Washington or Wyoming and when the first snow flies beat it back down here to RV it at either a park or blm land (free). It will cost me a couple hundred a month storage and some RV parks are up to 800 a month but the cabin will be paid off and it will be out of CA. That is my main goal so CA can't eat my pension.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My game plan is a cabin in either Washington or Wyoming and when the first snow flies beat it back down here to RV it at either a park or blm land (free). It will cost me a couple hundred a month storage and some RV parks are up to 800 a month but the cabin will be paid off and it will be out of CA. That is my main goal so CA can't eat my pension.
If you have a cabin with land, you won't need to pay to store your RV.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If you have a cabin with land, you won't need to pay to store your RV.
I'm trying to avoid crossing the country with a giant TT. Nothing sucks more than having to be the only driver on a 1500 mile trip

Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good plan. I wonder how long you can live in CA a year without paying income tax? 3-4 months?

Your residency would be in WA or WY which have no state income tax. Both have really beautiful areas especially in the Summer and parts of Spring and Fall (before snow/rain seasons). Of the two, I prefer WA with the Cascades, Sound, Coast, Columbia River, Portland and Canada just north. Plus, you're closer to CA if you need to fly/drive. WY seems very isolated and limited by comparison. Though for part of the year it wouldn't be so bad.

Derek

Old 01-04-2018, 07:28 PM

Here's an interesting read. It appears the burden is on you to prove you are 'not' a resident if living in CA part-time. I guess lots of snowbirds have become tax targets as well depending on their length of stay, etc... THE-PART-TIME-RESIDENT-TAX-TRAP

Derek

Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Quote:
Check out the Star Valley Ranch, Wyoming. Beautiful mountain scenery, no state income tax, fantastic weather in the summer months, golf courses to put around on if that's your thing, and then high tail it to California like the majority of the snow birds here do. You can even rent out your place in the off months to make a little extra income. 😉

Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Check out the Star Valley Ranch, Wyoming. Beautiful mountain scenery, no state income tax, fantastic weather in the summer months, golf courses to put around on if that's your thing, and then high tail it to California like the majority of the snow birds here do. You can even rent out your place in the off months to make a little extra income. 😉
That's a good idea. Pretty close to where I want to be too.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Check out the Star Valley Ranch, Wyoming. Beautiful mountain scenery, no state income tax, fantastic weather in the summer months, golf courses to put around on if that's your thing, and then high tail it to California like the majority of the snow birds here do. You can even rent out your place in the off months to make a little extra income. ��
Are they able to avoid CA income tax as a part-time resident? It seems like CA's Franchise Tax Board (FTB) is trying to get some money out of snowbirds. On another investment forum I found this CA snowbird's advice:

"When we bought our snowbird home in California 15 years ago, we were advised to be very careful about the number of days we stay in California, not to have a bank account here, keep our cars titled and licensed in our home state, and have our utility and tax bills mailed to our home address in Washington. At that time we were told that the California Franchise Tax Board is very aggressive in pursuing income tax on those snowbirds who stay more than six months in California. We took the advice to heart, and stay about 5 1/2 months, and have our home titled under a revocable living trust that is recorded in both California and Washington (it is strictly for the California house)." -https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131950

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-05-2018 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California