Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,617 times

Advertisements

Ok...so I was a little bored while nursing the flu for the 3rd day and decided to go back and read some posts from like summer 2006...I remember getting so bashed for my view on the housing market.......hmmm seems like the opinions of the bashers has changed a little bit. Is anyone surprised how bad things have become as far as foreclosures, price drops etc?

Last edited by shannon94; 03-26-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
I used tamiflu and it worked (as long as you take it within 48 hours of flu onset). I was back up to 70% or so within three days. Supposedly this year's flu shots weren't too effective.

Now, specifically what views are you referring to?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
I'm sure glad housing prices are coming down. My wife and I's goal is to have enough for a down payment next summer or late next year. I'm not sure if the market will be at a point for us to consider this then, but it's always good to be prepared. The issue that I'm having the hardest time digesting is the supposed government "bailout". If the government did nothing, as it should in a capitalist society, my guess is that we would see foreclosures, bankruptcies, and businesses shutting their doors galore. I don't think showing this kind of weakness to the rest of the world right now is such a good thing. However, I think it would set an awful precedent to protect borrowers and lenders from the consequences of their unsound financial decisions. There has to be a compromise in the middle somewhere, I'm just not knowledgable enough to know where that is.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM

190 posts, read 844,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I'm sure glad housing prices are coming down. My wife and I's goal is to have enough for a down payment next summer or late next year. I'm not sure if the market will be at a point for us to consider this then, but it's always good to be prepared. The issue that I'm having the hardest time digesting is the supposed government "bailout". If the government did nothing, as it should in a capitalist society, my guess is that we would see foreclosures, bankruptcies, and businesses shutting their doors galore. I don't think showing this kind of weakness to the rest of the world right now is such a good thing. However, I think it would set an awful precedent to protect borrowers and lenders from the consequences of their unsound financial decisions. There has to be a compromise in the middle somewhere, I'm just not knowledgable enough to know where that is.
I'm with you on this one. It really is unfair for those of us who try to do things the right way and live intelligently to have to pay the price for others who chose a foolish path.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 243,498 times
I agree completely. When my husband and I were searching for our first house about eight years ago, the bank told us we could qualify for a loan that would have required approximately 40% of our income to go to a mortgage payment. They would have been more than happy to lend us the money, but we restrained ourselves and bought a small fixer upper for a lot less money, and we've always been able to make our mortgage payment without any trouble. While I certainly think that the disreputable lenders who made questionable loans to people who probably couldn't afford them are very much culpable for what has happened, it irks me that as a taxpayer I'm going to be supporting bailing out people who couldn't exercise self-restraint.

Perhaps this is an oversimplification, but I see it like this: a mortgage is a form of credit. They give you the money and expect you to pay it back. Kind of like a credit card, no? So if I go out and get a mortgage that's way beyond my means and then figure out later I can't afford it and start defaulting on the loan, the government will come bail out my ignorant backside. But what if I charged up a ton of stuff on my credit cards? It's the same thing, really. Those who don't pay their credit card bills aren't getting any help (nor should they). So why are mortgages different?

I feel sorry for people who may have been duped into accepting a mortgage that they didn't really understand, but honestly, do some homework before you sign off on the largest purchase of your life.

/rant

Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 PM

56 posts, read 266,903 times
Here is some funny reading I Can't Sell My House

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM

493 posts, read 637,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Hey, BR...are you going to stay in Santa Monica...or move somewhere else...I was just curious...because Santa Monica seems to be well above the socal average

Old 03-27-2008, 09:01 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
I still think it's way too expensive considering there is a major housing crash going on. It still seems like a nice house in SD will cost you 600-700k which makes it way out of reach for most people. If you want a tract home in Chula Vista or a condo conversion in Normal Heights, you can get a screaming deal, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want housing costs to get so low I can buy a bigger, nicer second house and rent out the first, and that just doesn't appear to be happening.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86
Hey, BR...are you going to stay in Santa Monica...or move somewhere else...I was just curious...because Santa Monica seems to be well above the socal average
I'd love to stay in Santa Monica, but it is very expensive. My wife and and I are doing fairly well financially, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to buy here. It seems like condo prices are dropping faster than house prices, so we may just be in luck. However, I want to find a place where we can settle down for a bit and maybe even raise a child for its first years. It's weird, cuz the older I get the more I think about these things and the pickier I get (who would of thought? ). Right now, I'm not interested in a single family home with a yard (too much work), but I'm not really interested in a hotel like condo complex (more like compound) either. I notice row house style developments in the area, but those are usually newer, which also command a higher price. I'm not going to be in the market for a million dollar home anytime soon, so I don't really know how its all going to pan out.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:08 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,682,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I still think it's way too expensive considering there is a major housing crash going on. It still seems like a nice house in SD will cost you 600-700k which makes it way out of reach for most people. If you want a tract home in Chula Vista or a condo conversion in Normal Heights, you can get a screaming deal, but that's not what I'm interested in. I want housing costs to get so low I can buy a bigger, nicer second house and rent out the first, and that just doesn't appear to be happening.
Not sure if you like the area Sassberto but there are already deals (comparatively speaking anyway) in Fletcher Hills.....and I'm sure things are going to fall alot more before this is over. Check out the zip. Give it some time.............according to the news today prices in Cali are falling $2800 a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California