Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In favor of permanent Daylight Savings Time (i.e. no changing the clock twice a year)?
Yes 109 75.17%
No 36 24.83%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 05:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times

Advertisements

California has much more important issues than this...We've been on this time system for many years,so it's very strange to wanna change it all now.

This is truly a waste of time/money to change it all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
We've been on this time system for many years,so it's very strange to wanna change it all now.
Although 60% of California voters disagreed with you.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeping Incrementalism View Post
One argument no one brought up in this thread is: what is the point of having time zones if you don't aim to have 12:00 at "high noon" at least most of the year? Right now we have the sun at it's zenith closer to 1 PM by the clock 7 months of the year. Completely counter-intuitive.
There have been proposals/ideas in the past to get rid of time zones all together around the world and everyone will on the same time. Of course some people would have to get used to seeing 7PM on their clock as the sun is coming up or 7AM on their clock as the sun is setting!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There have been proposals/ideas in the past to get rid of time zones all together around the world and everyone will on the same time. Of course some people would have to get used to seeing 7PM on their clock as the sun is coming up or 7AM on their clock as the sun is setting!
China has only one time zone. dont know how they manage it. and it has probably the same distance as the US from its coast to its western territories

Old 08-14-2019, 01:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
China has only one time zone. dont know how they manage it. and it has probably the same distance as the US from its coast to its western territories
I think it's just one's mindset, while I think there would be tremendous push back for a single time zone for the entire world, time, the 24 hours in a day, 60 minutes in an hour, etc. won't change, just the concept that the sun comes up in the AM and sets in the PM (for most people) is too ingrained in our everyday lives. Basically the 5AM, 6AM, 7AM, etc. is all artificial and can be called/changed whatever you want anywhere around the world, have everyone on "Zulu" military time (Coordinated Universal Time)!

Old 08-15-2019, 05:19 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Besides, how much light do people think they're going to get? You will never have light at 7:30pm in December. The days still get shorter naturally.
Most workers will be able to drive or otherwise commute home from work in daylight throughout December if year-round daylight saving time is put in place, and that's a great thing. I am a strong proponent of year-round DST.

As it is now, setting the clocks back in the fall, sunset will be at 4:51PM on December 1, 2019. Ugh.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/...cisco?month=12

Old 08-16-2019, 10:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I just hope the entire country gets rid of DST. I do like it being light longer in the evening, but I also would rather see the entire country on the same time schedule. I do not mean no eastern, mountain, central and PC time,I simply mean DST verses standard time.

dst

Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times
The point of DST is to shift the extra daylight in the morning to the hours of the days most people are up and out. Seems simple doesn't it? And somehow we progressed to the point where now people want to have dark (and colder) mornings in the winter. This will also increase energy consumption. If this state is stupid enough to keep us on DST in the winter it will only be another year or 2 before people realize that and demand change to permanent standard time.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:04 AM

40 posts, read 31,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Basically the 5AM, 6AM, 7AM, etc. is all artificial and can be called/changed whatever you want anywhere around the world, have everyone on "Zulu" military time (Coordinated Universal Time)!

No, it is most definitely _not_ artificial. 5 AM, 6AM, 7AM, is supposed to mean you are that much closer to the Meridian, the "M" in "AM and "PM". And the Meridian is supposed to be 12 noon. Time zones are supposed to put us with in 30 minutes of that. Daylight Saving time throws it off by an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007
California has much more important issues than this...We've been on this time system for many years,so it's very strange to wanna change it all now.

I know, in the 40s they vote to change it twice a year, and now people want to vote to not change it, but most of them have in mind keeping our time to what is currently the time zone to the east of us???

I said it in my earlier post -- we already have a universal time if you want to go off that, like aviators so. And we set time zones to make the meridian reasonably close to high noon, the way the world is supposed to work naturally, the way humanity existed since the dawn of time until railroads came along, and then electricity and waking up hours before dawn in order to beat traffic to work...

Old 08-30-2019, 11:12 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,509,336 times
If this happens they need to delay school start times by an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California