Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:12 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,806,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Everyone should go to transparent California and check out how much money the "public servants " in their area make- it's disgusting and shocking
It will get lots worse if Gavin wins- count on it
Also do a search for little cities near you - it's all about the money
Have you met a thief who admits to stealing?

There was a time long ago when people entered public service to do good. Now they are entitled clock punchers who count the days when they can retire with your tax-money supported pension.

As usual they give you boilerplate justifications and excuses as to why they deserve to be paid a king's ransom for their "service". What a joke!

Last edited by davidt1; 11-04-2018 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 01:50 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times
To whomever (assuming the OP) just left me a rep point saying my job could be done with a HS diploma, no it most certainly could not... and the duties I mentioned were just the tip of the iceberg, so please educate yourself before making rude or condescending comments about our profession. It's a specialized field which isn't covered in undergraduate programs, so THAT is why there's a Master's Degree for it.

In the MLIS program we learn about online and print reference sources (some of which took an entire semester to master), database management, intellectual freedom, marketing, budgeting, staff management, social networking, service needs for specific demographics, cataloging, ESL & diversity resources, diffusing tense or dangerous situations, and much much more. It may not be rocket science, but if you think any high schooler could do my job, think again. We use teenagers as volunteers for simple stuff like pulling books/holds, and they can barely manage that without constant babysitting.

Even if our job was easy, the simple fact that we DO have to obtain a Master's Degree is enough to justify our salaries. What do you think a Librarian in the Bay Area should be earning? Ten dollars an hour? Would be tough to keep the libraries staffed and running smoothly if that were the case! FYI: My old branch was run by an assistant for 20 years before I came along, and it took me a good 4-5 years to clean up the mess she left behind. And my patrons noticed the difference, as did the county when our circ stats started climbing.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-05-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,806,113 times
Wasn't me, but now I remember working two summers at the school library when I was in college. My librarian bosses were wonderful people to work for. One had a bachelor degree in anthropology; the other had a bachelor degree in theater arts. What else could they have done with those silly degrees but work at a library? Actually that's not entirely true. I suppose they could have gotten jobs with the correction department or police department which require no degree.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

21,770 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Wasn't me, but now I remember working two summers at the school library when I was in college. My librarian bosses were wonderful people to work for. One had a bachelor degree in anthropology; the other had a bachelor degree in theater arts. What else could they have done with those silly degrees but work at a library? Actually that's not entirely true. I suppose they could have gotten jobs with the correction department or police department which require no degree.
Do you ever check things out before you post?

Anthropologists are in demand and increasingly more so ... they earn reasonably well, too.
https://money.usnews.com/careers/bes...ologist/salary

Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Wasn't me, but now I remember working two summers at the school library when I was in college. My librarian bosses were wonderful people to work for. One had a bachelor degree in anthropology; the other had a bachelor degree in theater arts. What else could they have done with those silly degrees but work at a library?
Teach or work at a museum? And did they also have the MLIS? Because most of us go into college knowing we'll continue on to graduate school, whether it's in library science or another field... I actually planned to get a teaching credential (after my BA in English Lit), but changed my mind and went into the "family business" instead. I'm a third-generation librarian, so it was in my blood!

It does get very frustrating to constantly defend our education and salary, especially when most people don't really know what we do - and assume (like you) that sitting on a reference desk is our entire job. That's just a SMALL portion of what our job entails, and even that is more difficult at times than you realize. Every library is different, though, and each has their own challenges. Regardless, I'm not going to apologize for being smart enough to pursue a decent-paying job that's enjoyable too. Anyone can do the same, if they aren't a complete moron.

Quote:
Actually that's not entirely true. I suppose they could have gotten jobs with the correction department or police department which require no degree.
As others have pointed out, the lack of specific educational requirements doesn't mean you can just apply and get those jobs. Most of them probably do have college degrees, plus they require a lot of experience within the field before reaching that level. Do you think a new recruit is earning $600K? If that were the case, I'd agree with you 100%. But it's not.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:47 PM

26,777 posts, read 26,897,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It does get very frustrating to constantly defend our education and salary, especially when most people don't really know what we do - and assume (like you) that sitting on a reference desk is our entire job. That's just a SMALL portion of what our job entails
Don't bother trying to enlighten him, gizmo. He obviously prefers to believe what he wants...why else start this ridiculous thread?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:00 AM

14,237 posts, read 4,614,478 times
I'm sure that's a typo.

I have friends who work for PD, sheriff, and correction in CA. They don't make 600K/year base pay. Even their chief or head of sheriff don't make that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California