Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,795,101 times

Advertisements

https://transparentcalifornia.com/sa.../?&s=-benefits

Thanks to the disgraced Gray Davis, taxpayers are paying correctional "officers" sky-high salary and benefits. For some the total compensations come close to 1M a year. How does a correctional sergeant make over 600K a year in base salary? The next time you vote for more taxes, just remember you help make these public employees rich.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-02-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:21 PM

26,754 posts, read 26,850,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
How does a correctional sergeant make over 600K a year in base salary?
You picked the only correctional sergeant who makes that salary. The rest on your list make between 85K and 120K. Also, does this sound like a job you'd like? No wonder they're paid so much.

Correctional Sergeant (9659) - CalHR

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You picked the only correctional sergeant who makes that salary. The rest on your list make between 85K and 120K. Also, does this sound like a job you'd like? No wonder they're paid so much.

Correctional Sergeant (9659) - CalHR
Sound like you didn't even look at the link, because if you did, you wouldn't have made stuff up. There is only one other correctional person on that page making 112k a year. The rest make at least 200K a year.

For people who are not public employees or related to public employees, make sure you know where your taxes go before you vote for more taxes.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
Gray Davis ruined California for sure. I remember electricity rate was so high under him even under recession 2003. I cooked a lot outside to save on electricity because had I not done that, it would cost too much money to cool the house.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-02-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Sound like you didn't even look at the link, because if you did, you wouldn't have made stuff up. There is only one other correctional person on that page making 112k a year. The rest make at least 200K a year.

For people who are not public employees or related to public employees, make sure you know where your taxes go before you vote for more taxes.
Well, I am a public employee... so I guess I’m exempt from knowing or caring?

This also reminds me of how EVERY time they release our (librarian) salaries in the Palo Alto Daily, which happens annually, people lose their chit over what we earn. Usually they’re either focusing on the HEAD of the whole system, who gets a base salary of around $250K + benefits, or they think somehow our median-level salaries are too much. Since when is a Master’s-required position supposed to make less than the median local income? If anything, we should be earning more!

P.S. We pay taxes too, so when you speak of “the taxpayers,” that includes all of us public employees.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Oh, and aren’t the public salaries only supported by specific taxes? Admittedly I’m no expert on the subject, but I do know that our library funding comes mostly from property taxes - at a whopping $80-85/year per household. So I’m not sure how one’s general votes would affect this number, or our salaries as a result. If I’m wrong, please do enlighten me.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, I am a public employee... so I guess I’m exempt from knowing or caring?

This also reminds me of how EVERY time they release our (librarian) salaries in the Palo Alto Daily, which happens annually, people lose their chit over what we earn. Usually they’re either focusing on the HEAD of the whole system, who gets a base salary of around $250K + benefits, or they think somehow our median-level salaries are too much. Since when is a Master’s-required position supposed to make less than the median local income? If anything, we should be earning more!

P.S. We pay taxes too, so when you speak of “the taxpayers,” that includes all of us public employees.
Yes, you are taxpayers. However, public employees are paid with taxes. You get back the taxes you pay.
Other taxpayers are not paid by taxes. Their taxes pay your salary and benefits. There are probably one thousand regular taxpayers for every one public employee taxpayer.

By the way, I have been to the library and have seen what librarians do -- sitting around and looking bored since most people go to the library these days to use the internet.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,536,270 times
I don't care.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:31 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,289,103 times
Quote:
Yes, you are taxpayers. However, public employees are paid with taxes. You get back the taxes you pay.
Other taxpayers are not paid by taxes. Their taxes pay your salary and benefits. There are probably one thousand regular taxpayers for every one public employee taxpayer.

By the way, I have been to the library and have seen what librarians do -- sitting around and looking bored since most people go to the library these days to use the internet.
The real crux is that government employees salaries are not aligned with a private business free market system, they are overpaid. A business would fail if it was run like the CA government, you put in more than you get out.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I don't care.
Me neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California