Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 03:52 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,368,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The inherent beauty of Prop 13 is applies equally to all... a few short paragraphs replaced volumes of tax code and a cadre of Assessor staff.

Part of the pitch way back when is Prop 13 subsequent Props prevents selling the family farm or closing the family business due to taxes...
Actually I am one of those who voted for P13. But it is done better in Nevada. I do not think there is any rational reason for a commercial property to be covered by 13. If your business is sensitive enough that an increase in property tax puts you out of business it was likely inevitable.

I would also like to see the tax rate of change sufficient that it actually can close in the presence of the inflation rate. What we effectively did was decrease the property taxes of long term residents. See no reason that is a good thing.

I fail to see why you think the assessors staff was limited. All it did was move them to tracking how it would be if no P13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 04:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Alameda County did not replace attrition for years... others were reassigned.

One of the people I knew casually... said the passage and subsequent implementation really impacted his office...

Again... I was too young to vote at the time it was implemented.

As one paying $8800 when I bought compared to my sellers paying $1200... it did not bother me in the least...

I do fully intend to have the lower rate in 30 or 40 years.

The ones that really made it are those that bought here 2009-12... bigger home, newer home, etc and lower price...

It was hard to swallow at the time but I did get over it... as each transfer stands on it's merit...

Still, I look out the window and see the newcomers on the block a 50% larger home and 45 years newer and larger lot paying a little less than I do... but such is life.

Had I been smart I should have bought that foreclosure and moved in myself... but too many things going on at the time.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM

1,203 posts, read 837,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I can say without equivocation that none of my neighbors has had a child in the public schools in many decades... most it has been easily 50 years.

About 50% of the budget is for public education... so here we are still paying for schools with tax dollars without any hope of receiving any service.
Neighborhoods with good schools are usually better maintained, have lower crime, and the homes tend to be worth more. My kids haven't been to school in 20 years, and yet we used the increase equity in our home to buy an investment property and have been rewarded handsomely.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
What we effectively did was decrease the property taxes of long term residents. See no reason that is a good thing.
Well, you're entitled to your subjective opinion and that's all it is. Plenty of people think it's great thing. Especially those that don't want more income inequality. Prop 13 has always been the great neutralizer. That's why I love it.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Well, you're entitled to your subjective opinion and that's all it is. Plenty of people think it's great thing. Especially those that don't want more income inequality. Prop 13 has always been the great neutralizer. That's why I love it.
Nothing neutral about it. Simply favors those in place a long time outrageously over the new comer.

And I do not object to that except it should fade away in a couple of decades and should not favor commercial property.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Nothing neutral about it. Simply favors those in place a long time outrageously over the new comer.

And I do not object to that except it should fade away in a couple of decades and should not favor commercial property.
Yeah, I don't think so. My senior citizen neighbors never had the opportunity to make the money me and my wife did, so I'm fine with it continuing as is. Nothing outrageous at all about it. I'm happy not to be surrounded by the top 1-5% of income earners. But I understand there are those that think income inequality is a good thing.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Yeah, I don't think so. My senior citizen neighbors never had the opportunity to make the money me and my wife did, so I'm fine with it continuing as is. Nothing outrageous at all about it. I'm happy not to be surrounded by the top 1-5% of income earners. But I understand their are those that think income inequality is a good thing.
But I am likely older than your senior neighbors and have had no more opportunity than they to make big money. So if I want to move back to the home I left two decades ago in OC I get the same low tax rate they have? No. Oh so how is it fair to me that I pay 8 or 10 times as much as your senior neighbor even though I am more senior and no better off?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
But I am likely older than your senior neighbors and have had no more opportunity than they to make big money. So if I want to move back to the home I left two decades ago in OC I get the same low tax rate they have? No. Oh so how is it fair to me that I pay 8 or 10 times as much as your senior neighbor even though I am more senior and no better off?
That was your choice to move and I suspect you benefited handsomely. If you intended to move back, you should have been smarter about it and just rented out your place. That's what most people I know have done.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
It does not favor them as the new buyers benefit from all the taxes the old owners paid. That is inequality. They get free benefits. They do not pay for the original cost of the roads, schools,Parks, City and County Buildings, etc, just anything new and they pay at the same rate as the old owners. If they do not like paying more each year due to the property value rise when they bought, don't buy there. No one makes anyone do so, it is a choice.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
It is fair because you left.

Now you do not have to move back. After all, you pay more for a lot of things than you did in the past.It is a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California