Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:33 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I think it evens out that California's taxes and Hawaii's taxes are similar. What's not similar is the higher cost of living in Hawaii. Food and utilities are much much more expensive when compared to coastal California.
Our electricity is the highest in the nation. We're number 1! We're number 1!

You want AC? That will be $400 a month or more.

CA is so big that all the areas are so different, I'm not sure how you can "hate" the whole thing. Small rural towns, politically correct San Fran, shallow SoCal.... I mean it really has everything.

I intensely dislike SoCal, just not my scene, but who cares and why would I post that everywhere? It's GOOD that there are a variety of places and lifestyles we can choose from.

Tulemutt is right, the more desirable, the more expensive.

And I don't know about other boards.... I spend to much time here, I'm not going to add other boards.

BTW, we have been here for 30 years, and will move to CONUS this year or early next. We would rather see our money go further and be able to travel without a 5 hour plane ride minimum.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 11:04 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our electricity is the highest in the nation. We're number 1! We're number 1!

You want AC? That will be $400 a month or more.

CA is so big that all the areas are so different, I'm not sure how you can "hate" the whole thing. Small rural towns, politically correct San Fran, shallow SoCal.... I mean it really has everything.

I intensely dislike SoCal, just not my scene, but who cares and why would I post that everywhere? It's GOOD that there are a variety of places and lifestyles we can choose from.

And I don't know about other boards.... I spend to much time here, I'm not going to add other boards.

BTW, we have been here for 30 years, and will move to CONUS this year or early next. We would rather see our money go further and be able to travel without a 5 hour plane ride minimum.

what's CONUS ? You made it way longer then most. Everyone I know that moved to Hawaii barely makes 2 years. I hear the homeless problem is out of control there too. I've been to Hawaii lots of times but it's never been a place I considered moving to. Downtown Honolulu is a trip! Hookers, Homeless, addicts, locals hating tourists, Hey kinda like LA...

Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:

Ok. I’ll just say that, having lived in Minnesota, California, Hawaii, military schooling in Florida and the south, lots of time up in Washington, and lots of youth in Michigan ... when I drop in on threads from other states, I read whining and complaining ... but rarely, if ever, people from one state posting in another state’s forum just to denigrate without any apparent reason ........... except attacks against California. Sheesh!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Ok. I’ll just say that, having lived in Minnesota, California, Hawaii, military schooling in Florida and the south, lots of time up in Washington, and lots of youth in Michigan ... when I drop in on threads from other states, I read whining and complaining ... but rarely, if ever, people from one state posting in another state’s forum just to denigrate without any apparent reason ........... except attacks against California. Sheesh!
You're right. They do and I've "visited" several of the other states' threads here and never do I see people from a different state tear into it the way non-residents do here. Although, to our credit, the threads here are a lot more active than in other states. I don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe those in other states are staying busy "off the net" with real lives and we're the ones with no life offline.

The answer to the problem is simple. Do not respond. Don't reply when a new thread is started by an outsider. Don't respond to posts made by outsiders. Just don't. If you ignore them, it'll tick 'em off and they'll eventually leave. And, if they don't leave, they'll get to frustrated with it, they say something really nasty and then BOOM, they're banned. Give it a shot and see how it works. You never know.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,835 times
Aren't some or a lot of those out of state posters former Californians? Anyway, it's an open forum. Anyone is free to post as long as they're within the TOS. I like hearing from folks who used to live here but have found contentment elsewhere.

I have full confidence that you guys can handle the really obnoxious ones.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It’s not? Whoa! In what universe? The 1% universe? Even the 10% universe? 1% and 10% are, by definition, pretty small universes compared to the rest of us who don’t have anything close to that kind of annual taxation. The majority of state residents don’t even earn that gross, pre-tax.

And, news flash, people who DO earn to pay those numbers aren’t the ones leaving the state at all. You can look that one up.

Over and out.
The 1% are important to the 99% because they pay 48% of the state income tax.

As for leaving....Yes they are ... net loss of 14k top bracket tax residents in CA last year.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration—about 2.5 percent of its total population. These population losses are low in historical terms. The graph below shows data from the Internal Revenue Service on the movement of income tax filers in and out of California since 1990. (Data on tax filers does not cover the entire population because some people do not earn enough income to necessitate filing taxes.) As the graph shows, net out-migration from 1990 to 2006 was, on average, more than double what is was in the most recent ten years.

Migration among certain demographic groups also differs from the state’s general pattern. Although California has had net out-migration among most demographic groups, it has gained among those with higher incomes ($110,000 per year or more) and higher levels of education (graduate degrees). This can be seen in the three graphics below, which display migration between California and other states broken out by income, age, and education. Orange indicates net out-migration from California to the other state, while blue indicates net in-migration to California. Brighter colors indicate higher amounts of migration.

https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
The 1% are important to the 99% because they pay 48% of the state income tax.

As for leaving....Yes they are ... net loss of 14k top bracket tax residents in CA last year.
I didn’t respond to whether they were more important than the 99% ... or whether they are important in any way at all. I responded to your suggestion that lots of people pay $100k a year in taxes. That is false hyperbole by definition. 1% is not “many”. Regardless of your feelings of value.

As for leaving, no, they aren’t. Aside from the fact that California has a much higher population of super wealthy than the rest of the nation .... um, just using the 1% figure for conversation, you’ll note that 1% of 40 million is 400,000 ... of which, if we accept your unsupported claim of 14,000 net loss (got link?), that 14,000 is 3.5%.

Now then, if we were to want to be meaningful in throwing around suspiciously specious stats, we’d want to substantiate WHO, exactly, among those purported 14,000, were the ones that left how much revenue lacking. Because, the wealth being taxed from those theoretical 400,000 varies a YUGE amount even within that demographic.

Etc.

Take away: without some very solid analysis based on verifiable, credible, professional research - your declarations are pretty much hogwash.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
For many years, more people have been leaving California for other states than have been moving here. According to data from the American Community Survey, from 2007 to 2016, about 5 million people moved to California from other states, while about 6 million left California. On net, the state lost 1 million residents to domestic migration—about 2.5 percent of its total population. These population losses are low in historical terms. The graph below shows data from the Internal Revenue Service on the movement of income tax filers in and out of California since 1990. (Data on tax filers does not cover the entire population because some people do not earn enough income to necessitate filing taxes.) As the graph shows, net out-migration from 1990 to 2006 was, on average, more than double what is was in the most recent ten years.

Migration among certain demographic groups also differs from the state’s general pattern. Although California has had net out-migration among most demographic groups, it has gained among those with higher incomes ($110,000 per year or more) and higher levels of education (graduate degrees). This can be seen in the three graphics below, which display migration between California and other states broken out by income, age, and education. Orange indicates net out-migration from California to the other state, while blue indicates net in-migration to California. Brighter colors indicate higher amounts of migration.

https://lao.ca.gov/laoecontax/article/detail/265
... and Mikala strikes again, providing solid, factual, verifiable research to debunk the hyperbole ...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:17 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Take out Silicon Valley and see how your stats look ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California