Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza_Z View Post
As for me "Cali" is not annoying.
it is not a big deal to me. The internet is full of shortcuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t necessarily like ‘Cali’ either, but it is far from ‘setting my teeth on edge’. Maybe you should explore why you have such an emotional reaction to it rather than blaming the ‘younger generation’ for your frustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Can you explain why? It seems rather odd that a shortened version of a word would cause this level of an emotional reaction.

I get we all have our weird quirks. But this one I don't understand at all.
"Cali" is overly cutesy and demeaning. Beyond that, I'm not going to waste my time pondering why it irritates me so much. I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way. But if you have an inclination for that sort of thing, go right ahead and "explore" your own quirky emotional reactions.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
"Cali" is overly cutesy and demeaning. Beyond that, I'm not going to waste my time pondering why it irritates me so much. I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way. But if you have an inclination for that sort of thing, go right ahead and "explore" your own quirky emotional reactions.
I don’t necessarily like it, but I don’t have any quirky emotional reactions to it either. (I’m not the one who said it ‘sets my teeth on edge’.)

Just curious - how is it demeaning?

Old 03-17-2019, 06:42 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
Quote:
Wow. Subtly hostile much? You must have a lot of negative emotions on a daily basis if you react like this to things.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:15 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I don’t necessarily like it, but I don’t have any quirky emotional reactions to it either. (I’m not the one who said it ‘sets my teeth on edge’.)

Just curious - how is it demeaning?
No, that was me. I simply meant that everyone has a quirky emotional reaction to something. It's part of being human. You have yours, guaranteed, and I have mine.

As for how it is demeaning, I'll give an example from a different viewpoint. Let's say you are a woman named Elizabeth. Your family calls you Elizabeth, your friends call you Elizabeth. You start a job at a new company and when you introduce yourself as Elizabeth to a new coworker, he replies, "Hi, Betsy! I'm Jim."

You politely say that your name is not Betsy and no one calls you that. He smiles agreeably, but an hour later, he introduces you as Betsy to another coworker. You patiently repeat that your name is Elizabeth, not Betsy. Jim now looks irritated. "It takes too long to say 'Elizabeth.' Betsy is a perfectly fine nickname for Elizabeth. I'll call you what I want." Next thing you know, the whole office is calling you Betsy and accusing you of being hostile and overly emotional because you are upset about it.

Would you not feel demeaned? No one has a right to do that. Of course, a personal name is not the same as a place name, but on a lower level, people who live in California, love California, and have always called their state California think that folks from some other area have no business inventing a cute nickname and insisting on using it. That's all. Now go right ahead and tell me all about my negative emotions and why I need therapy and so forth.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
Can you explain why? It seems rather odd that a shortened version of a word would cause this level of an emotional reaction.

I get we all have our weird quirks. But this one I don't understand at all.

Same here. I have too many things going on in life with work and bills to make a stink about how someone refers to Commiefornia, I mean Mexifornia, I mean Cali...………..fornia!

Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
No, that was me. I simply meant that everyone has a quirky emotional reaction to something. It's part of being human. You have yours, guaranteed, and I have mine.

As for how it is demeaning, I'll give an example from a different viewpoint. Let's say you are a woman named Elizabeth. Your family calls you Elizabeth, your friends call you Elizabeth. You start a job at a new company and when you introduce yourself as Elizabeth to a new coworker, he replies, "Hi, Betsy! I'm Jim."

You politely say that your name is not Betsy and no one calls you that. He smiles agreeably, but an hour later, he introduces you as Betsy to another coworker. You patiently repeat that your name is Elizabeth, not Betsy. Jim now looks irritated. "It takes too long to say 'Elizabeth.' Betsy is a perfectly fine nickname for Elizabeth. I'll call you what I want." Next thing you know, the whole office is calling you Betsy and accusing you of being hostile and overly emotional because you are upset about it.

Would you not feel demeaned? No one has a right to do that. Of course, a personal name is not the same as a place name, but on a lower level, people who live in California, love California, and have always called their state California think that folks from some other area have no business inventing a cute nickname and insisting on using it. That's all. Now go right ahead and tell me all about my negative emotions and why I need therapy and so forth.
I am one of the many who sometimes calls it Cali & I am from Torrance. If your name is Elizabeth & you don't wanna be Betsy...that is so different. Your name belongs to you....Cali doesn't.

If someone at work asks me where I moved from ...I would not say Cali or I'm a Caligirl. Lol! I'd say California, or Torrance. Online......I might TYPE or put on a profile, I'm originally a "Southern Caligirl" (a screen name example...) or I'm from Cali.....but that is so different than speaking it in conversation at work or in public. No one speaks & says CA either, it's a typed abbreviation! Cali is just an abbreviation & slang too. When people ask me where I am moving...online I might say "back to Cali...but a different part this time". But I N P E R S O N, I say California. I don't know who had the gall ..Lol.. to "invent" the cute nickname as you say but I'm 30 & grew up in the LA area...& as far back as I can remember, I've been reading it & hearing it. It is not demeaning.....

Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Cali, Cali, Cali

Old 03-18-2019, 09:22 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
OP, are you even originally FROM California yourself? Just asking, because it seems like the people who get extra mad about small stuff like this are usually the transplants, who in most cases, usually ride harder for places than the actual NATIVES do.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
OP, are you even originally FROM California yourself? Just asking, because it seems like the people who get extra mad about small stuff like this are usually the transplants, who in most cases, usually ride harder for places than the actual NATIVES do.
Are you from the Southland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California