Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
😂 LMAO you're funny
Unfortunately, that's the mindset of the average California voter. Sad really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:46 AM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Not if your competitors decide to eat the cost increase and not charge customers more. You'll be forced to do the same or you'll go out of business.
Yea all these businesses will just take a direct hit to their bottom line with zero consequences.

Lol.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:52 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Yea all these businesses will just take a direct hit to their bottom line with zero consequences. Lol.
Funny how conservatives think in such simple terms. Raise the minimum wage a dollar, prices have to go up a dollar. Increase a tax on a business a dollar, prices have to go up a dollar.

They have no clue how modern economics work nor the complex realities of the current marketplace. Ask them what the price elasticity of demand is or what the substitution effect is and they go "huh?" Sad really.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:56 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Yea all these businesses will just take a direct hit to their bottom line with zero consequences.

Lol.
I see a lot of deranged people posting online.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Quote:
Funny how conservatives think in such simple terms. Raise the minimum wage a dollar, prices have to go up a dollar. Increase a tax on a business a dollar, prices have to go up a dollar.

They have no clue how modern economics work nor the complex realities of the current marketplace. Sad really.
Well I work for a very successful company and can 100% tell you that when costs go up, sales prices go up and employee headcount goes down.

Even you have certainly seen evidence of this. The next time you receive a package from UPS, take note of the fuel surcharge or the next time you buy a plane ticket, check out the September 11th fee. These are examples of costs at for-profit companies that were passed to the consumer.

Will milk still be $4.99 at Albertsons? Probably.

Will they still have the same number of employees working each hour....maybe not.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Quote:
Not if your competitors decide to eat the cost increase and not charge customers more. You'll be forced to do the same or you'll go out of business.
So if I own a business and am leasing the property, it's likely that I have a ton of advertising into this. Web presence, everything has my company name and address on it. I'm known everywhere for my company and where it's at.

This goes through and my leasing company passes the increase down to me.

Do I just pack up my entire business and move? Unwind my entire online presence to reflect the new address and hope the new leasing company doesn't pass down the increase next year?

No, I stay where I'm at and pass down the increase to my customers.

I can see moving your company for the best price to work for those fly-by-night companies that have to move a lot anyway, though.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
But I thought CA had a budget surplus, why does the government need more money?

Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I own commercial properties. If the RE taxes go up on them, guess what I'm going to do...

Yep. Pass those costs on to customers.
Just sold one of my businesses in CA, sold the building as the new owners moved out of CA. Two more to sell.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:56 PM

629 posts, read 619,642 times
Quote:
This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read on here, which says a lot. Seriously, well done.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:09 PM

629 posts, read 619,642 times
All leases going forward will be triple net leases. Any commercial property owner that doesn’t pass this on to their tenant is either an oblivious idiot or they’re locked into a long term lease. But over time there will no longer be leases without this component. It just won’t be an option anywhere. Even though the above idiot claimed there will be some who just eat the costs as a form of business strategy. Heh, sure, why not.

One of my tenants is on a complete triple net already (he’ll be thrilled to hear the good news), the other one isn’t. I’m literally already working on reworking the entire agreement for the second tenant to factor in property taxes. I have been nice for a long time, and kept rent pretty low since I didn’t really need the money, but this tax hike would leave me with literally no profit if I had to cover it all myself (but that’s ok, right?).

Guess how all the tenants in the state will have to pay for their dramatically increased rent. Yep, you guessed it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California