Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,447 times

Advertisements

The Coastal areas of CA (LA, Orange County, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose) and immediate vicinity is "where it's at" for CA. They are the social, economic, cultural, and existential superiors to the Central Valley (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia, Stockton, etc) in every way.

Just like Colorado. When people hear that, they think of Denver, Aspen, and Durango. NOBODY goes there and wants to see places like La Junta, Cortez, or Ordway.

Simple as that. Image, perception, and prestige matters.

"LA is great because.....it's LA". Yes, it's circular logic. But it's peoples attitudes that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And rightly so (it is ignored).
Fresno should be thankful it is ignored... if it got press, it would be bad press. Blistering hot summers with no cooling breeze at night. Godawful bad air quality. Water quality contamination issues. High crime rate. Little or no culture to speak of. Fresno makes Sacramento look really good by comparison...

Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I can't recall who posted it, but there was a thread about Washington DC/Baltimore and San Francisco Bay area's CSA's passing Chicago's and someone posted a link saying Stockton, Modesto and Merced now being in the CSA so that's what I was referring to. Sorry if that's incorrect. Anyway, so many of the cities mentioned I've never been to and it seems like it would be a nice road trip albeit a very long one.
The U.S. Census Bureau doesn't lump Stockton/Modesto/Merced into the SF-Oakland-SJ CSA. (CSA for those wondering is "Combined statistical area" which the Census bureau uses when it decides to put Metro statistical areas).

Here's a list and map of how the Census Bureau breaks down California:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tistical_areas

Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM

My vote would go to El Centro and the entire Imperial County. It's like that area is in its own little state, totally separate from the rest of California. The only time you ever hear Imperial County mentioned is if someone is talking about the Salton Sea or is into desert off roading. Which is a shame, because there are some really neat places out in that area, once you get to know it.

I'd also say that Twenty-nine Palms is relatively ignored, unless you're a marine.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
My vote would go to El Centro and the entire Imperial County. It's like that area is in its own little state, totally separate from the rest of California. The only time you ever hear Imperial County mentioned is if someone is talking about the Salton Sea or is into desert off roading. Which is a shame, because there are some really neat places out in that area, once you get to know it.

I'd also say that Twenty-nine Palms is relatively ignored, unless you're a marine.
This goes to show how diverse our state really is. Imperial County is quite unique, particularly the irrigated Imperial Valley portion with its cluster of cities, towns and farms. The two largest cities, El Centro and Calexico have over 40,000 residents, respectively. El Centro has a major shopping mall, the Imperial Valley Mall, with 4 major department stores (including Macy's and Dillard's) that draws shoppers from neighboring Mexicali. There's a community college and a satellite campus of CSU-San Diego. Much of valley lies at or below sea level.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:56 PM

60 posts, read 60,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
This goes to show how diverse our state really is. Imperial County is quite unique, particularly the irrigated Imperial Valley portion with its cluster of cities, towns and farms. The two largest cities, El Centro and Calexico have over 40,000 residents, respectively. El Centro has a major shopping mall, the Imperial Valley Mall, with 4 major department stores (including Macy's and Dillard's) that draws shoppers from neighboring Mexicali. There's a community college and a satellite campus of CSU-San Diego. Much of valley lies at or below sea level.
Yes, and lately Brawley, El Centro, and especially Imperial, have been going through a large construction boom. Lots of new industrial companies finally building on lots that have sat empty for years. Brawley is finally redeveloping abandoned home subdivison lots, they are the gorgeous sedona/setina homes. Imperial is building an entire new school as their population has exploded from 7,000 on 2000, to nearly 20,000 in 2019. El Centro on the other hand is getting lots of mew Medical buildings and government offices, they are actually building new Bills behind Target, and the old abandoned walmart is now a major shopping plaza with a ross, aldis, and pet smart, after sitting empty for nearly 10 years. Imperial County is unique as it is still growing in Population very quickly. The unemployment is high due to the fact that people work in Mexicali but claim unemployment benefits in Imperial County, but if Mexicali was factored in then the unemployment rate would be normal. Overall within 25 miles of El Centro the population reaches over 1.2 million. So yea we actually do have a large population down here, Mexicali plays a large role in our economy, while we also play a smaller but noticeable role in Mexicali economy. The Economy in Imperial county is diversifying a bit more which is good.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,205,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyy17__ View Post
Yes, and lately Brawley, El Centro, and especially Imperial, have been going through a large construction boom. Lots of new industrial companies finally building on lots that have sat empty for years. Brawley is finally redeveloping abandoned home subdivison lots, they are the gorgeous sedona/setina homes. Imperial is building an entire new school as their population has exploded from 7,000 on 2000, to nearly 20,000 in 2019. El Centro on the other hand is getting lots of mew Medical buildings and government offices, they are actually building new Bills behind Target, and the old abandoned walmart is now a major shopping plaza with a ross, aldis, and pet smart, after sitting empty for nearly 10 years. Imperial County is unique as it is still growing in Population very quickly. The unemployment is high due to the fact that people work in Mexicali but claim unemployment benefits in Imperial County, but if Mexicali was factored in then the unemployment rate would be normal. Overall within 25 miles of El Centro the population reaches over 1.2 million. So yea we actually do have a large population down here, Mexicali plays a large role in our economy, while we also play a smaller but noticeable role in Mexicali economy. The Economy in Imperial county is diversifying a bit more which is good.
That's great! Are the new comers from out of state or from other areas of the state?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyy17__ View Post
Jeremy, Just want to say that I've been enjoying your posts about Imperial County over the last few days. I spend a fair amount of time out that way, and it's great to finally have a local on City Data sharing their insights into this part of California.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
That's great! Are the new comers from out of state or from other areas of the state?
You know its kind of a Mix, I have friends that have came here to Imperial Valley all the way from Syria, and also friends that have came surprisingly from the United Kingdom. Lots of people coming in from San Diego, and Texas too, I find it strange, even more strange that they absolutely love the heat. There's quite a bit from San Diego too, mainly in Medical professions as they have been opening more medical buildings down here. 😂

Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Jeremy, Just want to say that I've been enjoying your posts about Imperial County over the last few days. I spend a fair amount of time out that way, and it's great to finally have a local on City Data sharing their insights into this part of California.
Thank you, I just saw all these negative things about Imperial County on here, and usually from people who are not from here, or outdated, so I wanted to bring more insight, cause in the last year things have really been booming in all cities except Calexico, Calexico has been struggling from the effects of Maritza Hurtado, one the most corrupt mayors they had. But yes, the Imperial Valley has really improved in the last few years! So, I'd like to thank you once again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California