Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:44 PM

114 posts, read 111,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I am surprised that north of Sacaremento there is hardly any freeway connection when the central and southern part of the state littered with tons of freeways / tollways. There isn't even any freeeways the connect larger cities such as Yuba City, Chico, or Eureka to rest of CA. Compared to down in SoCal there 4 entire freeways going westward through completely desolate deserts...

Seems like all of the state highway funds are allocated to the central and southern part of the state while the northern part just gets leftovers.
I prefer it the way it is. Besides, there are plenty of freeways up here: Highway 99, Highway 32, Highway 70, 162, 45, 191, 149, 36, 44, 299, 147, 89...the list goes on and on.

With Chico off the beaten path (meaning, away from I-5) I think it helps keep the population down a bit. Not much, but a little. 99 and 32 are enough. Any more connection to Sacramento and we'd be getting more people than we already do up here (which is already too much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, north of Sacramento, I don't think there's even a city of 100,000 people. I think Redding has like 90k, Eureka has like 25-30k, etc. I realize if you add the surrounding communities they're slightly larger, but there is no major metropolis north of Sacramento.

Compare this to LA/OC having like 19M people, Bay Area around 8-9M, San Diego over 3M and Sacramento over 2M. With something like 99% of the state's population from Sacramento southward, yeah, not surprising there aren't major freeways to the North.
Chico's at about 112,000 people since the Camp Fire. Highway 99 is four lanes from the 149 junction until north Chico and it still gets really jammed up. Especially during peak hours.

Last edited by Radaghast; 08-04-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 05:06 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,293,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radaghast View Post

Chico's at about 112,000 people since the Camp Fire. Highway 99 is four lanes from the 149 junction until north Chico and it still gets really jammed up. Especially during peak hours.
Ok, but you can't honestly be comparing freeways in a city with 112k to one of several million people.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,987,640 times
The state has more important priorities than building muti-lane freeways north of Sacramento.

Two points I'll make that need to be done first.

1. They need to make Hwy 152 East of Gilroy a four lane divided highway from Hwy 101 to I-5. It is a major artery for commerce out of the southern half of the greater Bay Area and for motorists to get to Los Angeles.
We shouldn't have to drive over a two lane road.

2. Hwy 58 should be a freeway all the way from I-5 to the I-15/I-40 junction. A MAJOR trucking corridor and a route for any truck or car from the Northern half of California trying to reach the southern half of the country.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:45 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,518,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
The state has more important priorities than building muti-lane freeways north of Sacramento.

1. They need to make Hwy 152 East of Gilroy a four lane divided highway from Hwy 101 to I-5. It is a major artery for commerce out of the southern half of the greater Bay Area and for motorists to get to Los Angeles.

2. Hwy 58 should be a freeway all the way from I-5 to the I-15/I-40 junction. A MAJOR trucking corridor and a route for any truck or car from the Northern half of California trying to reach the southern half of the country.

They're widening Hwy 70 because its a "blood alley" with numerous deaths every year because of the crush of cars and semi-trucks on it between Marysville and Oroville. It was studied for years before they decided to expand it to four lanes. Regardless, its not some zero sum game. I'm sure the state would like to widen 152 but there are other things holding it up (property rights/topography/rerouting traffic). It will be widened, but its decades away from what I've read. I've also read that I-5 will be widen to six lanes between Sacramento and Los Angeles, but that's about twenty years away.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:38 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
They're widening Hwy 70 because its a "blood alley" with numerous deaths every year because of the crush of cars and semi-trucks on it between Marysville and Oroville. It was studied for years before they decided to expand it to four lanes. Regardless, its not some zero sum game. I'm sure the state would like to widen 152 but there are other things holding it up (property rights/topography/rerouting traffic). It will be widened, but its decades away from what I've read. I've also read that I-5 will be widen to six lanes between Sacramento and Los Angeles, but that's about twenty years away.

It's going to take a lot of long hard work to widen Hwy 152 along The Pacheco Pass...

Old 08-05-2019, 10:46 PM

8,530 posts, read 4,766,063 times
Caltrans is challenged enough with the urban areas that I’m not surprised it isn’t keeping up with other areas.

I kind of lament how the Camp Fire was subordinated to the Malibu fires. The Camp Fire was really a more devastating moment.

As a trucker and former Californian, though, I gotta say that California has a pretty good road network. You should be fairly proud.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:56 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
No argument here. They're working on the Kramer Junction Bypass.

Quote:
All of us who often travel east on Highway 58 will be happy to know that the contractor building the Kramer Junction Bypass Project plans on finishing the 12.9-mile freeway this coming November. However, the absolute completion date where all traffic lanes are open for us motorists is scheduled for completion in April 2020.

This stretch of new expressway will make Highway 58 a four-lane road all the way from Bakersfield to Barstow, where drivers can connect with Interstate 15 and Interstate 40. Until the job is completed, however, traffic is still funneled down to that dangerous two-lane nightmare of a road on either side of Kramer Junction.

http://www.tehachapinews.com/opinion...e7c251c42.html

"Dangerous two-lane nightmare of a road" indeed. No one will be happier than me when this section is completed.

I have no idea how they're planning to connect to I-5 or even if they are. 58's still a two-lane high-speed road from Buttonwillow into Bakersfield on the Rosedale Hwy. Bakersfield itself is an unholy snarl of construction at the 99/58 interchange.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:59 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
It's going to take a lot of long hard work to widen Hwy 152 along The Pacheco Pass...

Sure, but in its current state it's dangerous as heck, too, with cars darting around slow-moving semis lumbering up the pass.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:29 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sure, but in its current state it's dangerous as heck, too, with cars darting around slow-moving semis lumbering up the pass.

1989/1990 we often drove over The Pacheco Pass going fishing/camping at San Luis O'Neill Forebay/CA Aqueduct/Delta/Mendota canal. At that time there were cars darting around slow semis on the pass.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,987,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No argument here. They're working on the Kramer Junction Bypass.

Letter to the editor: Kramer Junction update | Opinion | tehachapinews.com

"Dangerous two-lane nightmare of a road" indeed. No one will be happier than me when this section is completed.

I have no idea how they're planning to connect to I-5 or even if they are. 58's still a two-lane high-speed road from Buttonwillow into Bakersfield on the Rosedale Hwy. Bakersfield itself is an unholy snarl of construction at the 99/58 interchange.
Truer words have never been spoken. I got confused coming off the 58 to go north on 99. I got stuck having to go south on 99. Got off at next exit and got back on north 99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California